Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Federation CA Hull Numbers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeBurke
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't going to do anything of the sort. Though I love all the conjectural ships and i like to treat them as real. The Star Trek Universe doesn't like to treat Star Fleet Battles as cannon Trek, so I flip the tables. The SFB universe to me is classic cannon Trek to me.

Mike Burke
SFB since '84
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't think you would.

There's plenty of folks who want-to/are (including in my game group) and I personally don't click with that.

Besides, I love food metaphors...
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
I'm sure some company will eventually hand Paramount a bunch of money to go do yet another Trek wargame (or RPG for that matter). They'll sell some copies, but it won't pull many faithful away from the SFU (none of the others have). It also won't stick around for more than five years - it will get orphaned when that company is sold, or goes bankrupt, or Paramount won't renew their license, and leave its players stuck with no new products and a bunch of very expensive books (I'm looking at you LuG).

I think the die hard faithful are getting harder and harder to find these days. Quite honestly, when "Magic - The Gathering" came out it pulled a ton of the die hard faithful away and it seemed as if nobody had wanted to play the game anymore. I will always want to play this game. I have invested so much into it, it will always be my favorite.

Mike Burke
SFB since '84
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We actually lost almost no players to MTG, but we did loose a lot of store shelf space.
Vanguard
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeBurke wrote:
I think the die hard faithful are getting harder and harder to find these days. Quite honestly, when "Magic - The Gathering" came out it pulled a ton of the die hard faithful away and it seemed as if nobody had wanted to play the game anymore. I will always want to play this game. I have invested so much into it, it will always be my favorite.

I never saw evidence that the number of PLAYERS really faded, it's just that the retailers stopped selling products that weren't either Magic, Pokemon, or explicitly AD&D. The years before would guarantee a wide variety of games. Nowadays, most GAMING stores have only three or four RPGs supported, a couple of card games, and maybe Warhammer... larger stores may actually carry FedCom and GURPS, if you're lucky.

If you weren't 'big into' one of those three games, though, the market STOPPED SERVING YOU, which made you go to other avenues (such as online sales) or simply find new games (like World of Warcraft). A sad situation, but unsurprising, really, when you think about it.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit of a shame and I'd love to see it bigger and bolder than it is, but I am glad that ADB can keep going with the sale they are making (and I am happy to contribute to the "let SVC and Leanna retire fund").

It seems like FedCom helped a lot.

I too have a long-standing love affair with the SFU. It has always been one of my great playgrounds. However, I never really loved SFB (and in some ways never really liked it) - I "put up" with aspects of SFB that really did nothing for me, because other aspect were so darn cool and the setting was just the best thing out there. Like so many, I eventually fell away from playing SFB at all, but I stayed interested in the SFU itself and what ADB was doing.

One of the "missions" for FedCom was to hook some of the lost flock like me back in, with a system that kept the setting, kept the "flavor", and downplayed or discarded most of the "rules crunch" and mechanics that guys like me weren't willing to do (I'm looking at you, Mr. Energy Allocation Form...).

I have several friends who wouldn't go anywhere near SFB, but they all learned and play FedCom with me and two of them actually became quite good at it and started buying their own miniatures, etc. In their case, FedCom landed right on-target for one of it's other missions (expand the market).

I get some happy almost every day now, because I now have quite a few folks online and in-person with whom I can talk about things I really enjoy (like the minutia of how many phasers a Fed CAR has versus a CC... Embarassed GEEK!). Those folks weren't really around in as big a numbers before, and those that were were more caught up in the game-mechanics and "meta-game" of playing SFB.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a myth that I make millions from SFU. I don't. I'll bet that 80% of you make more than I make. I do this because I'd be miserable doing anything else, and there is always the hope that I'll find the magic mix of products and marketing that will double or triple our sales.

If everyone who has a local store that doesn't stock SFU got the store to stock SFU, our sales would double and I'd have a full time assistant to do the stuff on my to-do list that I never get to.
Vanguard
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Steve Cole wrote:
It would violate my contract with Paramount for me to tell you where they are.

And, just to be clear, no one else can post that information on this forum. Since Steve owns this forum, allowing that to be posted here would be close enough to him telling you where they are to cause problems.

So, please don't.

Actually, no. Message boards are considered 'in communication', and are subject to slightly different rules. If I posted, say, an SSD of the USS Loknar from FASA Trek, that's perfect fine and within fair use under discussion.

If I then made an ARCHIVE of it, etc, that goes beyond 'simple communication' then it's an infringement.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, no, posting an SSD of somebody's property is beyond fair use. That is a "derivative work" and is specifically defined as a "no no" by copyright law.

Doing it for yourself is one thing (nobody would know you did it, so nobody would care), giving it to anyone else is another (you'd be de-valuing the future value of some official company selling an official SSD).

Guys, I pay REAL LAWYERS to figure this stuff out, and the amateur lawyers of the web are dead wrong about 90% of the time. REAL LAWYERS say NO, you cannot post an SSD of the Locknar unless FASA and Paramount approve it, in writing and in advance.

Do people do it? Sure. Do they get smacked for doing it? Sometimes, if Paramount notices and bothers.

Do not EVER post links to such things on the ADB forum or BBS. If you do, the link will be removed and you'll be warned not to do it again, and if you do it again, you'll be suspended.
Vanguard
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Do NOT argue copyright law with me. I know a lot more than you do.--SVC]
Wolverin61
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
1640 HEAVY CRUISERS, various names
1648 Velikovski (CA Mauler)
1646 Von Daniken (CA Mauler)
1649 Arbela (CA)
1657 Olshevsky (CA Mauler)

I think that last one should probably be 1647, since 1657 is the NCC Beijing according to the Naval Construction Contract List.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master list corrected. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: