Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Painting technique question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shauneroo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Below are some links to the results of my weekend efforts....

Firstly, a Federation NCF.

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/darklypoetic/Fed.jpg

The white is bleached out a bit in the pic, and the shading doesn't show up as well as it might, but you get the idea. The Nacelle caps also need to be bluer. As always, the flash shows up areas that could do with a bit of touching up, which will be done soon. It was done almost exclusively with an Iwata HPC+ airbrush and Tamiya acrylics, and is awaiting decals.

Secondly, a Romulan KE.

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/darklypoetic/Rom.jpg

Again, my camera isn't the best at close up pics using flash, and the airbrush shading hasn't shown up too well, but as with the Fed, you get the idea. Airbrush and paint details as above, also awaiting decals.

Thirdly, a Gorn BF...

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/darklypoetic/Gorn.jpg

I wanted to go for a metallic look to the gorn ship, and I think it has come out pretty well. It has also been 'weathered' with blue oil paint applied n dots here and there, and then blended in to give it further 'metallic' sheen. Airbrush and paint details as above, and also awaiting decals.

Lastly, a group shot...

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/darklypoetic/Group.jpg

Hope you like them, and I look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the subtle variations in shading you can get. They have a great sense of scale.
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
I like the subtle variations in shading you can get. They have a great sense of scale.

Agreed. I like 'em! Can't wait to see the NCF with decals. Its a good looking ship. Might have to buy one for myself.

Quote:
As always, the flash shows up areas that could do with a bit of touching up, which will be done soon.

I encounter the same problems too. Sometimes I think I've filed everything down well enough, but then I find out later that I didn't. I admit that sometimes though, its my own fault. I just get lazy sometimes. Smile
shauneroo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:

Thanks, it's just a shame they haven't come out better in the photos, as they look a lot better in real life than they do in my amatuerish snaps.

I think perhaps I'll rephotograph them in daylight, without using flash, once I get the decals on them.
shauneroo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some better shots, photographed under daylight, with no flash.

Firstly, the Fed agin. The shading can be sen much more clearly, although so can a few mistakes that need touching up!

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/darklypoetic/Fed2.jpg

Secondly, a couple of the KE. Again, the shading shows up much better than it did in the last one.

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/darklypoetic/Rom2.jpg

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/darklypoetic/Rom3.jpg

Thirdly, the Gorn. Much clearer shot showing the oil paint weathering.

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/darklypoetic/Gorn2.jpg

Working on some Romulan Hawks at the moment, so should have some piccies of them soon. Can't wait for the decals too, I've read some very good things about them.
Darren
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Painting technique question Reply with quote

shauneroo wrote:
Hi all. I'm an experienced AFV modeller/painter and am just now starting to collect and paint minis for FC. I have found that some of the techniques I use for 1/35th AFV painting don't work/can't work when painting FC minis.

For example, after undercoating my AFVs, I always 'pre shade' them by airbrushing fine lines in black around all panel lines etc. Some of the minis are just too small for that technique to be effective, so I guess what I'm asking is, what techniques do you guys use to achieve the sense of 'depth' that pre shading provides on larger scale models? In particular, the lines on the top of the saucer section of Fed ships?

I've tried adding a dark wash over the initial coat of Fed white, to try and pick out these lines, but it just doesn't look right.

Also, weathering. Whilst MIG pigments are great, starships don't get muddy or dusty or rusty, so what techniques do you guys use to achieve a 'used' or 'worn' look?

Any advice you could give would be much appreciated!

I also preshade my Fed Minis with an airbrush. However, due to size, I stick to basics such as major joints and the curves on primary hulls. For the tiny details such as panels - use washes.

Pure white is a terrible color to wash over. If you must have white Feddies, at least tint the white with grey to tone it down. Use a mid grey wash rather that something realy dark. Start light and build it up appropriately...

I use oil paints acheive a worn look...
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Shading gives them character, and a bit of a worn look from what a lot of people (including myself) have. White is a difficult color to work with, since touch-ups are tough to pull off a lot of the time.

Can't wait to see them with decals.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
burchenal
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

actually i prefer ask my question over there instead of opening a new topic, although it matches the same type of question.

Before painting my mini, i definitely need help to give an answer to this: Does the Mars-Class Fed Battleship have a red painted hull?
In fact i know that the regular paint theme is white to gray, but the cover of FD: Batlleship Attack disapoints me. I reckon, it would be so cool to imagine a Fed major ship with a red distinctive hull, but if it's just a mistake of mine, that's ok.

thx
Hod K'el
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only Fed ship I can recall being red was the Richtofen. I seem to remember something about a group of drunk ensigns telling the shipyard workers that the orders were to paint the ship red in honor of the Red Baron. They were disciplined, but not severely, and the Admiralty decided to keep the ship red.
Life is not victory;
Death is not defeat!
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can certainly choose to paint your minis in any way you see fit. The "official" scheme is indeed the standard Fed white/grey, but who's to say your ship has to follow tradition?
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all -

I have really two questions:

1) paints? What would you guys recommend? I am using some water-based acrylic paint, but I am not happy with how the minis are turning out (though I've used these with great success on Reaper DnD mini's). The paint seems way too thin and my fear is applying too many coats is going to obliterate the detail.

I've seen Tamiya referenced..acrylics or enamels?

2) brush or spray? It's probably my brush choice, but I'm getting more brush lines than I really want to see.

I appreciate any help you all can provide!

Aaron
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I airbrush Testors Model Master gloss enamels for my base coats over a Tamiya Fine White Primer. Details are done with brushes in Tamiya acrylics. Clear coat is Krylon Crystal Clear Matte.
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, maybe its time I learn to airbrush. Thanks djdood.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend just getting one of the cheap plastic single-action ones that Testors sells (which are really made by Aztec). It's all you need for just doing solid base-coats and it's easy to clean. I used mine for years and only use my "pro" dual-action one because I paid so much for it - for base-coating it is overkill.

Last edited by djdood on Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Starsuperion
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know I find that the thinner the layers the better the paint job looks on the mini..

that is why I use Vallejo..

they are thinner and easier to work with then citadel, testors, and any other paint I have worked with..

even Tamiya believe it or not..

though I do swear by Tamiya clear coats..

anyhow I have learned allot from this thread, and the images of the paint on the ships is magnificent!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: