Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Representing Tholian Webs with Miniatures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackFalcon
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Representing Tholian Webs with Miniatures Reply with quote

Hello!

Does anyone have any suggestions for representing Tholian Webs whilst playing with miniatures? The Tholian Attack rules seem to overlook advice on this matter... anyone tried it yet?

Hope you can help.
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use metal chicken wire with small holes or some similar type of screen material.
TJolley
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! I don't have an pics, so sorry but....

Go to a Craft store and go to the needle-point section. You should be able to find sheets of plastic needle-point 'stuff'..not sure what it's called. It is a sheet that has little squares, about 10 squares to an inch. It runs about 50 cents a sheet. Each sheet is about 12"x8" or so.

I cut it into Strips 1-hex wide (depends on the size of hexes you like to use) and then cut the lengths to 1-hex, 2-hex, 3-hex, 4-hex and 5-hex lengths.

Then go to a Lowes or Home Depot and buy a $4-$5 can of gold spray paint and paint them up.

There are 2 ways you can use them. You can just use then as they are and lay them on the board, or if you have any spare stands about, you can glue the 'web' to the stands and have it stand up on the board. That looks cooler when you are using minis, but the problem is when ships enter the web hex.

You could use both - use the web mounted on stands until a ship hits it, then swap the web for unmounted web laying flat with the mini sitting on top.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJolley wrote:
YES! I don't have an pics, so sorry but....

Go to a Craft store and go to the needle-point section. You should be able to find sheets of plastic needle-point 'stuff'..not sure what it's called. It is a sheet that has little squares, about 10 squares to an inch. It runs about 50 cents a sheet. Each sheet is about 12"x8" or so.

Todd... I do have pictures. Check the link below and follow the page links to the Tholians. Battelgroup Murfreesboro has been using the needlepoint webs for several years now.

I have them in 1-hex, 2-hex, 3-hex, 4-hex, and 5-hex lengths; as well as turns and side-slips. I even have a buzz-saw and a three-tier wedding cake web. The website has a picture of the wedding cake along with a base station located in the center of the web.

All our the web hexes we have, ran about $3.49 plus a couple hours markign and cutting plastic.
TJolley
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:

Todd... I do have pictures. Check the link below and follow the page links to the Tholians. Battelgroup Murfreesboro has been using the needlepoint webs for several years now.

I have them in 1-hex, 2-hex, 3-hex, 4-hex, and 5-hex lengths; as well as turns and side-slips. I even have a buzz-saw and a three-tier wedding cake web. The website has a picture of the wedding cake along with a base station located in the center of the web.

All our the web hexes we have, ran about $3.49 plus a couple hours markign and cutting plastic.

Like mine, cept I didn't do mine on the angle to get diamond holes, mine are square (a lot easier to cut out) and painted gold.
BlackFalcon
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

That's all cool! Many thanks for helping me ID a useful material.

We play with mini's on an open non-hexed playing mat so the question that remains is dealing with the question of whether webs should be deployed in a more natural circle than the hex-based system usually allows. That question arises from the fact that turning circles are natural on an open field, so I assume webs can be treated that way too...?

In the meantime, I better try and source some of that needle-point stuff in the UK.

Thanks chaps!
Very Happy
Starnite
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would make them in circles for free form play, just make them following the turn guides for the different radia. Or just make the all stand up with one inch lenths and place them as they are layed, along with pieces for cast web (in 1-5 inch increments) and premade globular pieces.
TJolley
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just use straight sections. They are cast in straight lines. They have 'kinks' on the hex board due to only have 6 directions.

Hex-less pay would be ideal for straight-line web
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJolley wrote:

Like mine, cept I didn't do mine on the angle to get diamond holes, mine are square (a lot easier to cut out) and painted gold.

Our first go 'round with this medium used square holes and was the green plasatic, dry-brushed with gold. After seeing all of the artwork, I thought the diamonds would look more in line with the artwork.

it takes a bit of effort to get it right, but after completing it, I like it better. I still have hopes of someday dry-brushing the webs with gold - but that's waaaaay down the list of priorities...

Gotta paint 17 more Tholian ships, need 2 Squadron fleet boxes, have to build a Hive Ship, need one more Tholian Battleship... Oh yeah, before Battleships is released, I need a Kzinti BB, a Romulan BB, and a Gorn BB.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackFalcon wrote:
Hello!

That's all cool! Many thanks for helping me ID a useful material.

We play with mini's on an open non-hexed playing mat so the question that remains is dealing with the question of whether webs should be deployed in a more natural circle than the hex-based system usually allows. That question arises from the fact that turning circles are natural on an open field, so I assume webs can be treated that way too...?

In the meantime, I better try and source some of that needle-point stuff in the UK.

Thanks chaps!
Very Happy

I think that I'd stick with the straight line sections. The rules for webs seem to indicate that it can only be laid in a straight (more or less) line. If you start adding curves to the mix, it may become difficult to determine the web strength and it's actually path (IMHO).

As for the needlepoint stuff - if you can't find it in the UK, sned me a PM. It's all over the place here. I'm sure we can work out a way to get some to you.
BlackFalcon
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, chaps!

I'll see if I can locate some material and we'll take it from there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: