Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Klingon Armada shipyard requests
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starmada and Klingon Armada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Klingon Armada shipyard requests Reply with quote

Hi.

To match the ship request thread over on the FC general discussion sub-board, I figured it might be an idea to run a separate thread mainly for the kind of ships one would wish to see in Captain's Log, or wherever else the odd ship may or may not end up going.

Of course, I'm just one voice among many.

What would you want to ask for?

(Post edited to remove my own requests, which will be posted below.)

Last edited by Nerroth on Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Rich Stokes
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really really love to see an equivalent of Fed Com's Booster Zero for Klingon Armada. Although I appreciate that's a fair bit of work (since it'd have to have at least basic rules for cloaks, plasmas etc etc) and not really reasonable for CL 40.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel is already at work on Romulan Armada, so cloaks and plasmas will be along next year.

I would suggest for CL40 things like the F5W and G2 police ship.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought a little more about the ships I'd like to request for CL40.

For the Klingons, I'd stick with the F5W request, with the upcoming model release.

For the Federation, I'd like to change my request to the OCA. It's got a model on the way, plus it wouldn't have a home in Romulan Armada anyway (if that product sticks with the RB and RA ship list, that is). Also, it's a nice ship, which helps round out the Middle Years-derived ethos most of the KA Fed ships have.

For the Orions, I'd request the CA. It helps round out their own Middle Years-derived fleet, gives them an enforcer ship, and lets them take on slightly larger enemy targets in the process.

For the Tholians, I'd request the POL. It's somewhat modest, but it does flesh out the Middle Years Tholian fleet. (Indeed, in the absence of web generator rules, could a phaser boat variant of the POL be created, akin to the difference between the PC and PCW?)

Alternatively, the CW would give their current Armada fleet a good interim between the CA and PC, while the NFF (in its disruptor configuration - although the ship type only fielded its M81-derived particle cannons during its short time in the Alpha Octant... but then, what if the Draco-Tholians have NFFs, and eventually decide to put disruptors on to them?) would be a good preview of the Neo-Tholian ships... if only because it's the only neo-hull that wouldn't need web caster rules to work.

Again, no room for the Kzintis in that list - but hopefully they can manage as they are for now.
Hotshot
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: KA ships for CL40 Reply with quote

First on the list should be the Federation NCL, and also some "Middle Years" designs from the Feds and Klingons. This could lead to patrol/raid scenarios set in the "Middle Years" or a dissimilar battle between older designs and General War opponents to add some variety.

Down the road I'd like to see X-ships as well...

KA has brought me back to SFU games after about 25 years away. For me it strikes the right balance of rules detail, flavor, and speed of play. Thanks for supporting it!
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that a Middle Years module could be cool.

In order to avoid both having a big chunk of ships at once and dabbling too much with empires still waiting for new rules, perhaps a subset of the B2 ships could be released in one book, with the others waiting for the necessary game rules before they get ported over.

For example, Briefing 2 has 34 units between the five currently-published empires, including the generic ships (such as the light monitor).

If that still leaves room for the odd new ship (or 6) to be added to the mix, well and good!
Hotshot
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be best to remain tightly focused on the fleets present in Klingon Armada. Add a few ships in CL40 that would round out the ones in KA, without adding new rules or races. My suggestion of the NCL was also driven by its availability as a miniature. Starmada players tend to like miniatures, and so giving them a new design might drive sales of not only Captains Log, but the miniature as well.

So to recap, I'd like to see the Fed NCL and "Middle Years" CA, and the Klingon F5W and "Middle Years" D7 in CL40.

Thanks again.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan sent me the Starmada cards for CL40 (Fed NCL and DW, Kzinti FFK, Klingon F5W). Could I get somebody who is familiar with Starmada and has started playing Klingon Armada to email me and ask for the PDFs and check them by tomorrow or Friday please?
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Captain's Log #41, how about the drone ship variants from Briefing #3: Federation New Drone Cruiser (NCD), Klingon D5D, Kzinti Medium Drone Cruiser (MCD). The D7D might be another. These variants all use the existing base hull mini, included in the squadron and border boxes.

Alternatively, if you wanted to use ships that have minis but are not yet represented in KA, the E7 and E5/E5D/E5E would be good. They also have distinctly different weapon arcs to the average Klingon, making them interesting.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also like to request the Juggernaut CA and CL from Captain's Log #35 to be ported over to KA someday - along with rules governing the use of Shriek missiles (perhaps as an optional upgrade).
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for the double post.

I probably should have thought of it already, but there are a number of empires which use similar weapon systems to those already in the game system, that could perhaps be previewed in a future Captain's Log.

One example could be the WYN 'fish ship' fleet - which would also be useful if one wanted to use one or two of those hulls alongside the Kzintis in a War of Return-era battle or two.

So, a sample ship of that hull type, such as the Orca or Black Shark, could be interesting to see.

Plus, as shown in CL40, the Frax would need little in the way of new rules in order to have a sample ship show up.

Also - if it turns out that Romulan Armada is to be released before CL41, that would make plasma torpedo rules available in-print. That would leave the door potentially open for other plasma empires to be previewed, perhaps.

So, if RA is out by then, I'd ask that the ISC CAT (torpedo variant of the Star Cruiser) be up for consideration. The CAT wouldn't need PPD rules, and if the rear-firing Plasma-Fs would be an issue, the ship could be offered as a 'mid-refit' or 'border pacification' variant, with those launchers removed, and the Combat Rating lowered accordingly.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will discuss with Daniel the idea of doing a "reinforcements" pack that could (at least in theory) include the Frax. One issue of course is counters. There is no way to do a countersheet for such a product.

Romulan Armada was scheduled for March at yesterday's meeting.

CL41 is of course scheduled for May, so including an ISC ship or two in CL41 is easy enough.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ISC thing sounds good.

When it comes to the Frax, can the C4 countersheet be divided in half, with both halves made available to order separately?

That would leave one half almost wholly dedicated to the Frax, though the last row of counters might need a note suggesting to use them as scenario tokens or something, in the absence of rules for those simulator empires...

Indeed, the C4 sheet has a further use, too. If Carrier Armada (or whatever it would be called) is done sooner rather than later, before empires such as the Lyrans and Hydrans are added to the game, the Frax would be a way to add an extra carrier force to the fray without having to wait for new published rules.

(So would WYN fish ship carrier forces using Klingon or Kzinti fighters, for that matter.)
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I use half of the sheet for the Frax, what do I do with the other half, throw it away? In which case I have to charge the same for the full sheet as I would for half of it.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would War and Peace have the same size countersheet as Hydran Attack?

If that were the case, presumably the ships which would be in that product (and whatever boosters might be created to match it) would still leave a number of spaces on the bottom of the sheet for other ships - at least in 1/2" scale, perhaps.

So, if enough room was left over, perhaps the space could be filled by adding in some Frax ships, as well as some other units from recent Captain's Logs (such as the OGR and OGD) and/or a potential reinforcement pack (at least those ships that would need a new counter, at least)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starmada and Klingon Armada All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: