Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M81 Pirate tactics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: M81 Pirate tactics Reply with quote

Hi.

With CL40 out (though I may have to wait a while for my own 10-point copy, though my FLGS has the regular version in stock) the M81 Pirates have made their entrance into the game system - and, in the case of the OGD, have already shown up in FCOL, to boot.

For those of you who have given these ships a go, or are considering taking them for a spin, what kind of loadouts, tactics and missions are you looking forward to trying - and are you going to keep them in M81, or try them against unsuspecting Alpha (perhaps even Orion) opposition?
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious to know this too, I'll give it a whirl when I get my copy of CL#40. I can't see it on the list of ships for FCOL, and I've updated my library twice. I think that ships usually don't show up on FCOL for three months after product release.

I don't see any reason not to try them against Alpha Octant opposition. In M81, the only opponents would be Seltorians, Neo-Tholians, and whatever freighters and auxiliaries may have operated in M81. (I wonder if the Tholian Will ever operated Q-ships or auxiliary cruisers? Or did they just allow the Seltorians to handle that job?)

It'd be interesting to try them with all kinds of different weapons in the mounts. Presumably the species conquered by the Tholian Will had their own unique technologies before the conquest, so they might have all kinds of weapons.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already sent one old galaxy pirate to Paul, and the other is done and scheduled for next Monday's ships of the week shipment (along with several others, indeed, I may have to look at how many I am sending so as to not overload the boy). That said, I have no idea how long it takes him to get a card I send him into the game.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sending the ship cards to FCOL, Steve.

Gary, I think the big question about the Old Galaxy pirates is "What do I put in that oddball wing mount?" You had a good idea with the Web Caster. I think a web breaker would be useful if the pirate was worried about action against Tholians. If seeking weapons had been used in the M81 Galaxy then a drone would be an obvious choice. Personally I'd probably just put a phaser in there, it's a flexible weapon.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, has anyone had a go with the M81 pirates on FCOL, or on the tabletop, yet?
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I finally got my copy of CL40.

The OGR is a nice ship! Without the restrictions of use for that centre warp engine that the SFB version has, you're left with a very healthy 34+4 (in Squadron Scale) output on a MC 3/4 ship. Even when you snag a freighter, you're still 'only' going down to MC 1, in which case you should be able to keep enough in the trunk to run away with your ill-gotten gains.

The OGD has 28+3 power on a MC .5 hull, again with a MC increase once you get grabbin'. I'd argue you could make a decent enough combat ship for the points with the right weapons in its option mounts.

Speaking of mounts, the OGR has 5 and OGD 3; though in each case, one of those is on the left wing, and is L+LF instead of FA. With the odd arcs the aft Ph-1s have (RH+R) it makes for a pretty interesting dynamic, depending on what you put in there.

Oh, and both ships have healthy amounts of boarding parties for their size classes, too.

It would be very interesting to see a matchup with these guys against similarly-costed Orions...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: