Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fed - Red stripe or no?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toastie
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Fed - Red stripe or no? Reply with quote

I'm starting work on a Fed fleet, and I'm trying to figure out which classes should have the double red stripe on the upper surface of the saucer. It seems to me that most pure warships (BB, NCLs, DWs) should have it, but general purpose ships do not. So here's my list. Not all ships are in FC yet, but I'm going to list them, generally in order of decreasing size class.

Has stripe - BB, SCS, CVA, DN variants except DN, NCL, DWH, DW, FFB

No stripe - DN, CVS, CA, CF, CL, DD, FF, Tug (essentially, the old FJ designs)

Unclear - BC, NCA, CS. I don't know if these are meant to be pure warships.

I know, we should just paint what we like, but I'm trying to come up with a consistant pattern. Any thoughts?
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your list looks pretty close to what I was thinking.

My understanding was that "General War" classes and major variants get the stripe. Pre-war classes don't.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I don't think there is a true inclusion or exclusion list for the saucer stripe.

Back when he started, before health problems and such forced him to severely cut back on his internet activity, Ted Geibel was fairly accessible. I asked him to make the NCL (and to eventually give it the plus refit phasers). That was when the double stripe first appeared. He thought it was a cool touch, and I agreed.

Since then, it has become a common feature on many of his Federation models.

So, the baseline determinant of whether a ship class has the double stripe is if Ted has done a model of the it with the stripe. Amazingly, other artists have since adopted the double stripe since then. What was originally just a "cool feature" is now a part of SFU canon!

Federation Commander Answer Guy
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't be sure, but I thought I saw some offhand remark by SVC that retconned the red stripes into the SFU as a war-time thing (kind of like the D-Day invasion stripes on airplanes in WW2). I could be remembering wrong though.

No matter what, they look darn spiffy on some ships (the NCL hulls in particular look really good in them).
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course, we could let the Jamaicans decide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: