Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shield Reinforcement question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davyj0427
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Shield Reinforcement question Reply with quote

Never mind I read it again and I finally got it. Thanks anyway.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The limit is per volley. There is no limit across volleys.

Examples:

Setup: In the examples below, I assume your ship has three batteries, plenty of power available, and never takes a hit to its batteries.

1) Single enemy ship fires phasers at you doing 8 points of damage against a shield with six boxes. You apply three points of power (the maximum you can because you only have three batteries), resulting in retaining a single box in that shield.

2) Two enemy ships fire phasers at you. Both do 8 points of damage against the same shield, which has six boxes. You apply three points of power (again, the maximum you can because you only have three batteries) against the first volley, resulting in retaining a single box in that shield. Since you still have a shield box, you may again use reinforcement against the second volley. Applying the maximum three points of reinforcement means that you only take four points of internal damage.

3) An enemy fires an overloaded hellbore at you and hits. This does damage against each of your shields. Since they are all independent volleys, you may apply up to the maximum of three points of reinforcement against ALL of them. Of course, you likely do not have the power available to do that, but you can if you had the power.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Davyj0427
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that clears it up nicely, I guess I didn't understand it as well as I thought. Thank you!
Tiigo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some further clarification, this question has come up a few times in our games, and I am not sure if MJs answer above resolves it:

Lets say I have a total of 10 points of power left over, plus 5 batteries. I am hit with 5 points of damage on a pristine shield. I can reinforce 5 points worth, since I have 5 batteries. I take a second hit, also doing 5 points from a different opponent, which I can reinforce as well. I have now spent my 10 points of power, not including the power the batteries represent. If a third, or even a forth volley came in, my assumption is that I could not reinforce shields any further since I have used up all the power I had available to me, correct?

It seems like it should be obvious, but we apparently need some help!
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiigo, yes.

The batteries don't "represent" power during the turn. Power is represented by energy tokens, or the energy track on the side of the card. The batteries' ability to save power from turn to turn is just an accounting trick. During the turn you don't have battery power or warp power or reactor power or impulse power. You just have power.
Tiigo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks terry, that helps a great deal!
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry got it.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davyj, could you please re-edit your original question back in, so that we can all have the benefit of these gentlemen's combined wisdom? Thanks! Smile
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

terryoc wrote:
Tiigo, yes.

The batteries don't "represent" power during the turn. Power is represented by energy tokens, or the energy track on the side of the card. The batteries' ability to save power from turn to turn is just an accounting trick. During the turn you don't have battery power or warp power or reactor power or impulse power. You just have power.

Wait a minute...if these batteries do not have any power during a turn, then why is preloading burning off batteries? The next phase of this is, if the batteries do not have power, then why are they called batteries? Then we have to ask, if the eneergy track on the side of the card represents power, and we have the blue battery power listed, why can I not burn the blue battery power?
Life is not victory;
Death is not defeat!
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod K'el wrote:
Wait a minute...if these batteries do not have any power during a turn, then why is preloading burning off batteries?

Well, he said that they don't 'represent' power, not that they don't 'have' power. At the start of the turn, they do have power. Again, I'd say like terryoc that it is an accounting trick, although a different one. It's just a way of reducing the power available to a ship on Turn 1 as a 'penalty' for having the first turn of arming completed. It's a trade-off decision: do I have my hellbores/photons ready to fire, or do I want to keep the extra power? It's good value for money as there is the battery power 'cap' maximum cost (eight points of photon arming for only 4 points of battery), but the decision is still there; you may want your four points of power instead if you do not plan on using your photons this turn.
Hod K'el wrote:
The next phase of this is, if the batteries do not have power, then why are they called batteries? Then we have to ask, if the energy track on the side of the card represents power, and we have the blue battery power listed, why can I not burn the blue battery power?

You can. The batteries just give you the ability to carry power over; the inference is that you can have up to the black power numbers maximum if you used all your power last turn, but in order to use the (two/theree) blue points on the power track you must have carried the power over in the batteries. Another way of putting it is that the only way you can have power in the 'blue zone' is if it was carried over from last turn in the batteries.

Once you have your power tokens, the source becomes irrelevant. It's only the fact that the blue boxes are at the 'top' of the power track that makes it look like they are being 'used' first. If you used a pile of tokens, pennies or whatever, it would not look like that.

For another angle on the battery subject, which may clarify things a little, take a look at this thread:
http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2490

I think I have answered what you were asking, but please correct me if not Smile
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...my thinking is correct...my reading is not so good,lol! Thanks.

PS: I fly Orion ships most of the time, so my batteries are in the middle of the power chart.
Life is not victory;
Death is not defeat!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: