Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where does the BC fit in?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Where does the BC fit in? Reply with quote

When discussing the Feds in particular, I understand the CA heavy cruiser is a main line vessel with a Captain. I understand the CC command cruiser is a step up and sometimes subs for the DN dreadnaught (which runs a fleet with an Admiral). Where does the BC battle cruiser fit in? It is superior to the CC in firepower, so does it fit in between the CC and DN as far as the rank of the officer commanding it as well as its role in fleet operatons?

Just curious, thank you.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before the General War, a CC would often be commanded by an Fleet Captain (a temporary title, IIRC) and often by a Commodore. That Commodore commanded a division of ships within that numbered fleet.

During the war things get jumbled and not so clean. A BC fits in-between a CC and DN in size, but in combat strength it is closer to a DNG than it is to a CC. If a DN was not available, I could easily see an Admiral commanding his fleet from a BC.

All three hulls have the required Flag Bridge facilities, but it seems like Admirals always get the best-protected rides ("It's good to be the King...").

The real decider is the command-rating for those ships, which I don't have handy. Typically, bigger-ship = more consorts allowed.
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Will points out, things get a bit fuzzy here and there during wartime.

Captain's Log #14 has a story with the BCF USS Nathan Bedford Forrest (commanded by a Captain) whose former commanding officer (described as "one of the best Fleet Captains"--remember TOS had that actual rank, though it's an honorary title) was killed. The mission it is sent on has a Commodore in operational command from the flag bridge, but the Captain makes all the tactical decisions.

Module X1 also gives an ambiguous reference about the "admirals" who were the best captains (lower case) who commanded the battlecruisers and X-Ships. It's not clear if they were Captains in rank, or if they were Flag Officers at the time of their commands.

And as another wrinkle, the story about the Klingon B-10 in CL#6 has a Rear Admiral in Command of a CX, which was the class that replaced the BC.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking it was something along those lines but wasn't sure. I'm gathering the BC came out during the General War (or close to it) as perhaps a little bit less expensive DN alternative able to command other ships but better than a CC in total firepower.

Many thanks for the replies Very Happy Very Happy
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The General War started in Y168 (Feds got into it in Y171). The BCHs show up about Y179-Y180. The point was to build more "big" ships, but DN production could not be increased, and BCHs were the next best thing.

Remember also that CCHs showed up about Y174. Everything gets bigger, tougher, and meaner during a war.
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you sir.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[sounds like I blew it, so I'm blowing this post away]

Last edited by djdood on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that's pretty much all wrong.

A Klingon flagship has a flag officer (admiral or commodore) who commands the fleet and the ship.

He has a "deputy captain" who handles the ship's admin stuff, and an XO (who is the ship's XO), and a flag staff.

The flag officer never turns over the fleet to his staff so he can focus on the ship. He might take an hour or two here or there to get involved in the selection of a new department head, but that's about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: