Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An Early Years Campaign system. And early ships.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Predator06
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: An Early Years Campaign system. And early ships. Reply with quote

I'm not referring to the Era of Lasers and Nuclear missiles. That would require a whole new set of charts and rules for the new (well, Old new) weapons.

I would love to see an early year’s module. Set in the time period either right before or just after the introduction of the constitution class. In a Time period when the Old CL and Old CA were still the mainstays of Starfleet and the klingons were still a new and mysterious unknown alien enemy.

Such a Module would make a great starter point for a campaign, where all the races begin there initial expansions into space and the borders have not yet been drawn. A Time where the space between empires is still part of the great mostly unexplored unknown.

I would like to see such an early years module become the beginning of a system where Ships that come later in the game become available by a premade time line. Like the old "Y-150 etc" system.

And I would like to see a grand scale Campaign modular system with a HUGE map. And I mean a really big and detailed, about 4 times the size of the F&E map. But without borders. Just start points. (Earth, Klinshai, Andor, Vulcan a few colony worlds etc) that lets the campaign players draw their own borders threw expansion exploration and conquest.

I would like it if the planets that are found during exploration and conquest had a random encounter system. For example, the planet could be inhabited by a peaceful developing race, or it could be a planet that is guarded by an ancient monster guardian of great power.

I want to see such a system where ships crews grow with the game like player characters. And get bonuses based on exploits and survivability. Where they can affect the acquisition of new systems and planets threw diplomacy as well as conquest.

I want to see something that fuses a little of that old feeling of “Boldly go where no man has gone before" with an already great combat system.

I'm not interested in the "campaign system" developed by some game group in California or Louisiana. I want to see a sanctioned ADB developed Product, Infused with the personal magic of Steven V Cole.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: An Early Years Campaign system. And early ships. Reply with quote

Predator06 wrote:
I would love to see an early year’s module. Set in the time period either right before or just after the introduction of the constitution class. In a Time period when the Old CL and Old CA were still the mainstays of Starfleet and the klingons were still a new and mysterious unknown alien enemy.

You are being a bit ambiguous in what you want from "Early Years". There are two possible directions you could be heading.

The official "Early Years" period in the SFU includes ships from the first part of the warp period. So, for example, the mainline Federation cruiser was not the Constitution class, but rather the earlier Republic class. This is the period of the SFU you describe, though I am not sure it is what you are looking for. If it is, representative Early Years cruisers were published in Captain's Log #39 and Captain's Log #39 Supplemental, along with rules for using those ships with Federation Commander.

Rather, I think the period you are looking for is more properly termed the "Middle Years". The product Briefing #2 has 70 ships that are taken from the period prior to the "General War". They do not have all of the improvements seen in the mainstream ships, and so have different strengths and weaknesses from which you have to operate. This set of ships is taken from the time when the original TV series was set. Note that Briefing #2 includes only B&W paper ship cards, not full color laminated cards. However, it has 70 such ships, rather than just 16 that is normally part of a laminated set.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Predator06
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: An Early Years Campaign system. And early ships. Reply with quote

Predator06 wrote:
Set in the time period either right before or just after the introduction of the constitution class.

I have always thought of the first un refitted constitution CA for SFU to be based on the Kirk era TOS Conny. But the ship and its class had been around for a few years before Kirk took command.

But if it’s based on the Pike era Conny I guess yer right.

So what I am looking for would be before the era of the constitution class.

It’s good to know that there is a "captains log" that briefly glances over this era, But what I'm looking for isn't a Captains log where I have to Zerox Black and white unlamented non card stock SSDs.

I'm referring to a full blown product with the top notch color SSDs cards pre lamented on card stock like the rest. And a little more detail about the era as well. I want to see something thats more then an "honorable mention" in a captains log, buried among 5 other games. Im referring to A product purely for FC.

But to be honest, I would be just as happy to get the nicer color coded cards pre lamented. I'm a little spoiled I guess. Black and white feels ghetto now after being exposed to the nicer cards.

I actually prefer to purchase additional Booster packs so that I have the nicer cards instead of photo copying them. I think they are worth it.

I’m also asking about a fully fleshed out campaign set as well. That starts in the early years and not the middle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: