Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions on some SFB rules

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Questions on some SFB rules Reply with quote

In my attempts to begin a local group we have questions that pop up from time to time (like I'm sure happens with all new groups). I'd like to pick your brains please to make sure we're either doing it correctly or make the appropriate change if we're not.

First question is on the photon when starting a scenario at WS III. Looking at S4.13 it states that multi-turn weapons may be assumed to be fully armed and being held and that holding energy must be allocated on the first turn. Holding cost for a standard photon is one point each. I understand this so far. Now, S4.32 states prior turns arming for WS II or WS III cannot include overload energy. I understand this as well.

Now the exception in S4.32 allows for photons to have two points of free overload energy per tube from prior turns. Now this brings up these questions:

1. The WS III photon does NOT have to include the 'free' two points of overloaded energy does it? I'm assuming that it is the owning players option to begin with standard loadings or with an overload. I can see many situations where you may not want to start with overloads such as not wanting to be limited to the 8 hex range.

2. If the two free overload points are used, this is a 6-point overload? This is what it sounds like to me i.e. prior turns for a standard would be 2+2 with an additional +2 free overload points for a total of 6, correct?

3. If #2 above is correct and it is a 6-point overload, the first turn holding cost would be two-points?

4. If you wanted to have a full overload i.e. 8-point overload (for 16 damage) would you then have to start turn one with 4-points allocated for the tube i.e. prior turn was 2+2+2(free OL energy)+2 (to make 8 total for the photon)+2 to hold the photon?

Appreciate any insight you can provide on this. Last game we did this; 3-points per tube for full 8-pt OL i.e. prior turns were 2+2 +1 (to hold) +2 (free OL points per the rules) +2 to make it a full overload. But I'm thinking we should have gone with #4 above and did 4-points for a full overload rather than three.

Again I appreciate your insight.
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My second question is on the ESG. As I understand it, an ESG has a capacitor that can hold up to 5 points of energy.

1. If the ESG is loaded at less than 5, can you add energy on subsequent rounds to bring it up to 5? I'm pretty sure you can, just want to make sure.

2. When the ESG is activated (assuming 5 points were in the capacitor) do you have to use all 5 points when it is used? Or can you use part of the 5 and the rest stays in the capacitor for future use (after the cool down turn)?

Again, many thanks. Smile
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, the only place you can get official answers to SFB questions are on the Legacy BBS in the SFB Rules Questions topic. Any answers provided here are completely unofficial.

As to your specific questions, my official, surface answers are:
1-1: You do not have to use the overload energy provided in WS-III if you do not want to. You can simply have held normal loads if you wish. In fact, you can come in with tubes empty if you really want to.

1-2: You can distribute the energy as you wish. So, if your ship has four photons, you could have four photons, all with 12 point warheads, or you could have two with 16 point warheads and two normal loads. It is up to you.

1-3: If you do not use fractional accounting, then yes, 12 point warheads are held for two points. If, however, you do use fractional accounting (which has been the case 100% of the time I have ever played, seen played, or heard about being played) then the hold cost is 1.5 points.

1-4: If you use the overload energy evenly, then each of your torpedoes have 6 points of energy for 12 point warheads. You must immediately use 1.5 points per tube to hold those overloads. If you wish to fully overload them, then you must pay an additional 2 points per tube, for a total of 3.5 points per tube, for a total of 14 points if you have four photons.

2-1: Yes. However, you are usually going to always want to allocate energy in Energy Allocation, as that is where you have the freedom to allocate all of your energy. Once the turn starts, you only have your reserve power available, and on most ships you don't have enough batteries to get very far.

2-2: If your ship has an ESG capacitor, you may chose whole numbers of energy points to release, from 1-5 (assuming you have that much energy available). If you do not have an ESG capacitor, all of the energy in the ESG (1-5 points) must be released all at once. Assuming GW-era combat, you most likely have a capacitor.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the responses and the links. I need to get over to the other board and poke around more, I see it has a wealth of information.

Many thanks Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: