Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Demo Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Local Groups & Retailers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aresian
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Demo Idea Reply with quote

Ok.. think I've got a good idea for a demo. Going this afternoon and try to set it up at Games Plus in Mt Prospect, IL.

What's the best Trek in terms of starship combat action? Probably far and away most would answer Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. This year is the 25th anniversary of its release. (June 4th to be exact.) What I was thinking is I'm going to run an FC Demo Derby like Scoutdad has posted on here and give the winner a dvd of The Wrath of Khan. A copy can be had for about $10 online. (Not sure about the rules of posting where). I'm thinking of running it from Noon to 5pm or there abouts. Seems like a great way to celebrate the 25th anniversary.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know how the Demo Derby turns out Very Happy

BAttlegroup Murfreesboro has used it several times (some more effective than others), but I'd like to know how it turns out for a differnet group of players. Also, if after the session you have any suggestions for making it a better scenario - please send then to me.

I like tieing the demo game into the annivesary of the movie release also. And a $10 DVD would make a great prize - I may have to steal that idea for my own use. Cool
aresian
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems only fair. I stole the idea for the Demo Derby from you. Smile

I'm going to try it Fleet scale with the Fed Frigate, Kzinti Frigate, Klingon F5, Romulan K5R and the Snipe. (Those are the frigates I have right now.) When you run it do you use Fleet or Squadron scale? And which frigates? I put a notice up at the game store this morning and am hoping with a nice color notice and the promise of some free loot I'll get a better turn out that the last 2 times I tried demos a year ago.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we run it as a demo to interest new players, we use fleet scale. More explosions, quicker = more interest in the game.

As a group, we tend to play Squadron Scale - so whenever Battelgroup Murfreesboro gets together and we play this we use sqaudron scale. It'll work both ways, but with fleet scale you do get down to business quicker.
aresian
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... while the demo was fun it didn't draw the amount of people I had hoped. One from the forums here and one other who had seen it advertised on the Games Plus website. Still a good core group to expand from. I think one thing I didn't consider is that everyone who wants TWOK on dvd probably already has it and so it wasn't quiet the inducement I had hoped. Still I'd like to try a Demo Derby again in a few months on a Saturday and hopefully entice some wandering souls into the game.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Aresian: Instead of giving a movie DVD that, as you said, others interested in Trek probably already have, why not give the DVD with the fan film Starship Farragut? They have done the first complete episode and it is available to put on DVD. The graphics are really nice. That episode shows a TOS era destroyer in action for about 1/4 of an orbit around a planet before it is destroyed. The graphics are very nice. Opening credits show a spacedock, another destroyer, a shuttlecraft, a base station, a tug, and, of course, a heavy cruiser.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option, which requires a little work on your part, would be to offer painted miniatures of one of the classic ships - i.e. the Fed CA, Klingon D7, or Romulan Warbird (KR would work as well, though). Or even a Tholian PC, though that might be a little too obscure for some.

I don't know how practical that would be for you, however.
aresian
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there would be more interest in a mini than a dvd. Well... probably not the minis with my paint jobs Confused . But I think maybe next time I want to try to bribe people into a game I may try one of the Furuta Japanese Trek mins. I've got the one of the Pasteur at home and they're pretty nice.
toastie
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can say, I wasn't there for the DVD, I was there for the game. Given that it was a holiday, I'm thinking some more people may have been interested, but just weren't able to make it.
aresian
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I was also wondering if we didn't get bit by the holiday. At some point in the next couple of months I'd like to try it again on a regular Saturday. In the end I think we'll add slowly as we catch those who are interested. I still get the feeling that there's quiet a bit of, "I'd play, but I don't have anyone to play against..."
aresian
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'oh. Just realized that something that would be very useful is to print off some copies of the First Missions pdf. We could hand them out to new players who don't yet have the rules and pass them out to those who look, but don't want to play. Sort of a time delay conversion to the game.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having spare copies of First Missions to give away is a great idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Local Groups & Retailers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: