Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Painting guides

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eblack
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Painting guides Reply with quote

I remember at the old site there were some downloadable painting guides for SFB minis. Are those still around in some sort of format? I think I have them in some archives somewhere but I can't seem to find them right now.

In addition... I've noticed a grey vs green difference in Klingon ships. Which would be considered the "official" color, if any? I've gone with a metallic green and a flat green, both of which have worked well enough. I was thinking however that TOS was grey and that may be the way to go to get that "authentic" look.

Thanks for any help.
TJolley
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went old-old school. I use Testors Gunship Grey for mine - it's a blue-grey color..I really like it.

http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=36118
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The painting guides are all located here:
http://www.starfleetgames.com/miniatures.shtml (you gotta scroll all the way down, past the contest winner pictures).

I did my Klingons in a blue-tinted grey. Green is very TNG to me and I am old-school in a big way.
eblack
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That's what I was looking for. I didn't think about looking for the older site.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mine in CeramCoat Pewter grey:

http://www.geocities.com/scoutdad13/Klingons/klingonfleet.jpg

color shown here: http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=36251
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty good color for them (and nice paint jobs btw).

I'm leaning a little more blue for mine. I used to custom-mix my own color, but that was when I was only dealing with 4-5 minis and a little Testors bottle could do the whole batch.

Is CeramCoat an enamal? I'm trying to get away from solvent-based paints to avoid killing the few brain cells I have left.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's an acrylic. It's one of the generic craft paints that I get at Wal-Mart. Most of my miniatures have been painted with either CeramCoat, Apple Barrel Paint, or Folk Art brand acrylics from Wal-Mart / K-Mart / Michael's / etc.

I tend to use them for several reasons:
1) they are inexpensive (~$2 for 4 oz bottle, as opposed to $4 for 1.5 oz of Citadel Paint)
2) they are readily available. If I run out of pewter grey at 2:30 a.m. - I just go to Wal-Mart and get some more, unlike the Citadel paint that I get from the FLGS (almost 25 miles away)
3) they come in many, many shades. With over 2 dozen shades of grey, I can get Pewter grey for the base coat - light grey for highlights - and quaker grey for shading. This means no mixing paints for the shading/high-lighting and if I paint 36 Klingons this week and then do 12 more in 6 months, the colors match because I didn't have to custom mix them.
4) they taste better then the expensive paints. OK, laugn if you want, but I have a habit of using my tongue to reshape the tip of the paint brush while painting - and these paints have little or no taste... unlike the Citadel stuff that just tastes horrible. Shocked
5) flexible plastic bottles that bounce and give when dropped, kicked, stepped on, etc. - less mess to contend with.

As for the color, I wanted to go Panzer Grey as I picture the Klingons as being similar to the Third Reich, but the Pewter Grey is almost the same color as the molded polastic of the 3 D-7 Battlecruiser models I got in the early 80's and once I started painting them, I wanted them all to match.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: