Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F & E and The Intimidation Factor
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation & Empire
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad, I am looking for a more Detailed SoP, what you wrote as an example is really as detailed as need be. I don't want anyone to write entire tactics articles just a little more then "with a little luck they might win this one" such as "if they roll x and the opponent rolls Y the Kzinti could use Directed Damage to kill Z which will help even the odds and give them a good chance of winning the battle".
Sweeper
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Wildfire67 and I started playing the intro scenario, we took it step by step, and we got basic combat down pat by the time the 2nd battle hex was resolved. It helped the we ignored SIDS our first time out and treated the Border Stations as ships to speed play.

Next time we play, we'll be adding econ rules and probably look at integrating SIDS.

If one wanted, one could treat this like an F&E version of the SFB Cadet's Training Manual:

Chapter 1: Movement
Chapter 2: Combat
Chapter 3: Economy
Chapter 4: Special units ( Carriers, Scouts, etc...)
Chapter 5: Your fleet awaits, Admiral.

Each 'Chapter' would cover the basics of each subject and build upon the prior chapters and ignore some of the more sticky rules like Conversions, Deficit spending, Overbuilds, Cloaked momement, etc... In theory, one could learn how to play and then 'graduate' to the basic game. As this player has the basics down, adding the rest of the rules from the core book wouldn't be so hard.

my 50 cents
lokirising
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the previous edition of F&E a year ago and still haven't played it. The thing that concerns me is the record keeping and time it takes to play it. I can certainly see an example of play being 18 or more pages long. One day my friends and I will try it out then add the expansions when we're comfortable enough with the core rules.
SFU_FEAR
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SOP is currenty published and your best reference to make sure you don't forget anything. An energetic player could make a check list for each turn to not only remember where he was in the turn, but also not forget any important part of that turn.

Mike Curtis - AKA FEAR

Typed with the assistance of my droid...
SYKOJAK
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend taking each section independently as you work your way through the rules. Oh by the way, I do recognize that this thread is over 2 years old since the
Last post.
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, I still check it Very Happy
Saladin_CO
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeper wrote:
When Wildfire67 and I started playing the intro scenario, we took it step by step, and we got basic combat down pat by the time the 2nd battle hex was resolved. It helped the we ignored SIDS our first time out and treated the Border Stations as ships to speed play.

Next time we play, we'll be adding econ rules and probably look at integrating SIDS.

If one wanted, one could treat this like an F&E version of the SFB Cadet's Training Manual:

Chapter 1: Movement
Chapter 2: Combat
Chapter 3: Economy
Chapter 4: Special units ( Carriers, Scouts, etc...)
Chapter 5: Your fleet awaits, Admiral.

Each 'Chapter' would cover the basics of each subject and build upon the prior chapters and ignore some of the more sticky rules like Conversions, Deficit spending, Overbuilds, Cloaked momement, etc... In theory, one could learn how to play and then 'graduate' to the basic game. As this player has the basics down, adding the rest of the rules from the core book wouldn't be so hard.

my 50 cents

I like this. Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I'm a newbie to this forum and to the game, even though I've played SFB for years and played Federation Space a few times.

Has there ever been a concise explanation of the simple basics of this game? I read the entire rulebook and when I was done I said to myself, that's a great reference, but how do I play it?

Anyhow, not whining, just looking for some shortcuts to get up and running, if they exist.

Sincerely,

Ken
Saladin_CO
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently this was made awhile back. I'll dig into it. Sharing it in case anyone else is feeling the need to have a simpler look at the gameplay:

http://www.starfleetgames.com/discus/messages/37/36566_105.0-m17v3_sequence_of_play.pdf
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great reference. Thanks for sharing it. I have yet to play F&E or federation Space, but my son is as old as my last comment (6 years... crazy) on this thread. Maybe in another 6 years he and I will get a chance to change that lol.
Saladin_CO
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky to get one of my sons to play Federation Commander with me. He liked it, but I don't think he liked it enough to play it again. The new generation just wants to play video games.

That said, it IS on Vassal, so maybe we can gather some players and try it out there sometime. Smile

Good to meet you.

Ken Smile
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been hearing about younger people wanting to play video games more than thinking boardgames since the 1980's...

Smile

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation & Empire All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: