Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Klingon tactics needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leading someone new to the game down a path that will just lead them to frustration doesn't do them any favors.
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been a great thread. I favor the Klingons personally so these tips have helped me gain a keener appreciation for their ships. The main take home points I've gleaned from this thread are:

1. Keep the speed up.
2. Keep the distance between 9 and 15 to maximize your disruptor fire rate vs. the Feds photon hit rate at that range.
3. Try to follow a drone wedge in for the close range attack to eat up the Fed's type 1 phasers.
4. Use the Klingons superior turn rate to stay out of his FA if possible and chew up his shields.
5. When it's time to close the distance, do so behind the drone wedge and aim for the weakened shield.

Anything else?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it in a nut shell. If you can do those five things in every game, you'd probably win every game.

The problem is that most other players strive to keep you from doing as many of those as possible.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn those other players and their refusal to do what you want them to... Wink

I agree with Tony, you've pretty well captured the most-common Klingon methods in a nutshell.

SFU Klingons don't fly like TNG Klingons and certainly don't fly like SFU Feds. Attempting to do so just costs the Empire ships and warriors.
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I play Klingons I try to sabre dance at just under range 15 using the 5 steps given above by David. Also I never want to plot a baseline speed below 24. Anytime I get too near range 8 and/or plot a slower speed I lose.

This is of course a LOT easier with the D5/D5W/F5W/C7 disruptor arcs.

For those Feds reading this, to fight these Klingon tactics I strongly prefer the Fed Strike Cruiser. It can run at speed 32 while holding 4 Overloaded Photons and still have power for phasers (2 power + 4 batteries). This gives the CS a slight edge over the slower power curve of the CC/CA/NCA/etc.
Hod K'el
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
I guess I'm notthe best one to blisten to, as I don't use the klinks much.

But I do...listen to what Scoutdad has said...then do it. Why do you think Klingons invented the Sabre Dance?
Life is not victory;
Death is not defeat!
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay 13 to 15 hexes away. Contrary to what I've heard from some, your disruptors are your main weapons. Use Phasors only if you've got power left. After you've banged them up enough, charge and let the weapons fly!

"Since my customary greeting would seem entirely self serving, I will simply say good luck."

"Live long and Prosper."
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phaser. Wink

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From expirience, I've beaten several klingons because I got a (lucky) photon hit on their #1 shield. That's something to watch out for, because it makes closing in very difficult.
Kahuna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find using the Klingons a challenge. I'm not a super patient player and end up trying to alpha strike way to early in the game. It's a curious thing, but I think I've actually bought into the newer (than TOS) TV shows depicting Klingons wanting to get into knife-fighting range and feel I should be able to do the same in FC.

When fighting Klingons as a Fed, it's as some of you have stated. I end up getting frustrated and letting the photons burn in my tubes waiting for the right range to fire. Recently, I've had much better success when I just fire them anyway, even if my range isn't right. I get lucky often enough with a couple decent rolls and then it starts turning into my game. Although Saber Dancing is certainly a viable tactic, a couple decent hits from a couple lucky photon salvos at any range certainly ruins your day quick.
RIS_Mace
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kahuna wrote:
Recently, I've had much better success when I just fire them anyway, even if my range isn't right. I get lucky often enough with a couple decent rolls and then it starts turning into my game. Although Saber Dancing is certainly a viable tactic, a couple decent hits from a couple lucky photon salvos at any range certainly ruins your day quick.

This can hurt from the Klingon's point of view, but unfortunately for the Fed, this means that they just sacrificed their big threat weapon, and the Klingon can swoop in quickly with phasers and disruptors (even overloads if he/she is lucky) and trade an uneven amount of damage with the Fed. If the Fed pilot does choose to fire at longer range, they should definitely try to run away fast and reload after that.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want disruptor-armed ships which like to get up close and personal, there are the Lyrans.

They are Klingon allies, have... occasionally questionable eating habits, and may fight more like Franchise Klingons than the ships of the Deep Space Fleet would.

(Well, there are no ESGs aboard Franchise ships, but still.)
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a Fed fires all or most of his photons beyond 8 hexes as standard loads, a good Klingon strategy is to close at high speed and force the Fed to turn off or risk taking hits on his #1 shield. With a superior turn mode and heavy weapons that can fire every turn, the Klingon should be able to close the distance behind the fleeing Fed on the next turn. About all the Fed can do then is get his photons loaded up and HET to charge the Klingon. The Klingon can then pull away and go back to dancing at long range. Once the Fed uses that free HET, trying that again is a big gamble.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
rulesjd
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike: That's why your crazy as a fed to fire all your photons beyond range 8 unless you're at long range and using SFB prox photons.

On standard Fed tactic though is to overload two and standard load two. If the Klingon stays at range 9-15 you can fire one or two standards along with phasers and still have an overload punch if he closes. If you get a chance for a knife fight, you can always upload your standard (s) with reserve power.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: