Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tourney games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Tourney games Reply with quote

For those who have played using the tourney rules (in one of the stickies above). Whether in a real tournament or just casually amongst your usual group.

How many turns do you normally get through within the time limit?
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 to 4 turns in 2.5 to 3 hours.

If you know your fleet well enough, you can play pretty speedily.

I would think that starting the fourth turn by the end of the 3 hours is not that hard to accomplish then you are allowed to finish out that turn.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is about what we have been seeing, 3 or 4 turns is about average. I think we've been up to turn 6 once or no further than turn 2 another time, but 3-4 sounds a about average.

We were wondering whether we were just playing slow, though I don't really think we are. There has probably been a romulan in more games than any other race, and we have never understood the 6 turn limit on cloaking, given that we so seldom get near 6 turns. To a large extent it is the cloak limit that keeps making us wondering whether we are just really slow players. Surely, we keep thinking, it was set on the basis that games are lasting at least that long.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically, in a tournament type setting, our group can get through at least 4, sometimes 5 turns (and maybe 6 turns once or twice) in the alloted time frame.

It's certainly seems quicker when flying Klingons v Feds than when flying Kzinti or Gorn v Romulans.

We have been known to take "liberties" to speedthe game howevr.. i.e, Turn one, Impulse 1... we'll proceed to do the entire impulse moves for each unit w/o calling out hte specific movement sub-pulses as no one is close enough to do anything anyway.
Seeking weapons targetted on other seeking weapons that'll impact before the original targets could possibly impact the ship are removed to reduce board clutter..
etc... etc...
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to expound on one of scoutdad's comments. Good communication during the game helps speed things along a lot.

If a player is paying attention to the game, it is common courtesy during a phase for the player to say: yes Im moving or firing, no Im not moving or firing, or wait Im thinking.

During our games, one player controls the phase tracking and basically helps move the game along.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good communication is key.

We have several sets ofthe impulse cards and always have one set for each game going on. One person "calls" the steps, but all involved players tend to concentrate on the game and rapidly provide the necessary comments: I move, I fire... I'm not firing... no impulse activity... etc.

We do try to keep the random digressions til after the game.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also tend to start the game moving the full number of hexes per impulse in one go, until one person says otherwise, then we drop to the proper turn sequence - about the time range 15 looks likely at the end of the an impulse.

We also use the impulse cards etc.

Certainlty some race mean slower play than others - seekers, webs stingers etc.
malleman
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things we use to speed up play is the peg board that wedge made. It keeps track of the speed/movement of everyting in play so that we don't forget. It also keeps track of which impule and subpulse we are in.

I have been meaning to ask him to make me one as well.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The peg board is nice (Burt emailed me the pdf, so I could make my own...) but we still prefer the impulse Cards... both for proprrietary purposes (it is the Murfreesboro Impulse Tracking System, after all) and for easy of transportability.
atomic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you describe the peg board a little better? I'm having trouble visualizing it. Or maybe post a photo?
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post a photo this evening when I get home. Its basically a way of tracking activities during a game. Its made of wood and you have pegs which you stick into holes in order to track turns, impulses, sub-pulses and such.

Often during a game my group gets caught up in a discussion we lose track of exactly what phase we are in or what impulse. So we made this peg board to help keep track.

Other groups have their own methods of doing this and some might say that a peg board is not needed as tracking the game is easy but we like using the peg board.
yockbo
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wedge_hammersteel wrote:
I will post a photo this evening when I get home. Its basically a way of tracking activities during a game. Its made of wood and you have pegs which you stick into holes in order to track turns, impulses, sub-pulses and such.

Often during a game my group gets caught up in a discussion we lose track of exactly what phase we are in or what impulse. So we made this peg board to help keep track.

Other groups have their own methods of doing this and some might say that a peg board is not needed as tracking the game is easy but we like using the peg board.

In St Louis, we use poker chips to track Impulse and Sub-Impulse. This has proved invaluable. One player will "run" the game...he progresses the Impulses and sub impulses, announcing the sequence of play and asking anyone if they want to accelerate, shoot etc, this player also calls outs who is moving on each sub-impulse. It really helps speed the game along. As you mentioned, it is VERY easy to lose track of where you are in the Impulse, and for that matter what impulse you are on.

We use the rest of the poker chips to tracks energy on our SSD's. I have made up Baseline Speed cards (0, 8, 16 & 24) for all the players to track and select their Baseline at the top of the turns. These are much like the ones that ADB made in one of their products (Orion Attack?).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: