Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tactics thread: Romulan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starmada and Klingon Armada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Tactics thread: Romulan Reply with quote

The last of the threads I'll set up (for now), this one looks at our green-blooded would-be galaxy-conquerors recently introduced to the game system.

The Romulans have their long-standing Gorn and Federation foes to tackle, as well as more distant threats from the Kzintis... and perhaps even from the Klingons.

(After all, even the Treaty of Smarba may not last forever, if the Rihansu are to rule the Milky Way one day...)

Would you run your fleet with mostly Eagles, Kestrels or Hawks? Or maybe a mix of each? Would you rely heavily on the cloak, or keep your ships more directly engaged in the battle? How different a challenge would disruptor-armed drone-chuckers cause you compared to your photon- and plasma-equipped neighbours?

Indeed, if you ended up succumbing to inter-House rivalry, what might happen if a faction flying, say, Eagles fought an all-Hawk or all-Kestrel force?
madpax
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Tactics thread: Romulan Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
Would you run your fleet with mostly Eagles, Kestrels or Hawks? Or maybe a mix of each?

I would try, if using minis, avoid mixing, except kestrels and eagles. But this mainly a personnal taste.
Quote:
Would you rely heavily on the cloak, or keep your ships more directly engaged in the battle?

I don't have much experience with Klingon Armada (two games for the moment) and none with Romulan Armada. BUt, as plasma can shoot every turn, I don't see how cloak may be useful. Except maybe in order to close safely with the enemy and release plasma at short range.

Marc
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure about the plasma thing?

I can't remember which box my copy of Romulan Armada is in, but I'm fairly sure that almost all types of plasma torpedo count as slow-firing (two-turn) weapons...
madpax
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right. I didn't read thoroughly the pasma rules and thought that you could fire them as seeker each turn.

Marc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starmada and Klingon Armada All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: