Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Omega Conversion Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned in the TalkShoe meeting that if we ever did Omega Commander, we wouldn't sell enough to make laminated cards, but we might sell it as a PDF. Now, given the hell that was Briefing #2 with 72 cards, I think you'd be looking at a more realistic number (24 maybe) and if that one sold well enough to pay for the time spent creating and checking it (and checking-fixing is 2/3 of the work) then we might do a second one. If that sold, we might do a third. And so on.

You might do well to figure out a ship list based on a 3 or 4 empires and a 24 ships and let's see what happens.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just typed up a reply to that effect over in the project eleven thread - but I can repeat the gist of what I had in mind here.

The first module I'd recommend could look something like this:

Auroran - CLA, CL, FF, CR
Męsron - CA, CL, DD, FF
Trobrin - CA, FFL, FF
Iridani - GL, BQ, CR, YW
Bolosco - MC

Bonus ships - Męsron DN, Trobrin CC and DSN, Iridani CP and BG, Bolosco MD

Battleship-sized units (if there's room for them) - Męsron BB, Iridani MW

If the battleships aren't viable (or there was room for 24 standard ship cards even if they are) I'd also add the Auroran PBT, plus a dedicated card set up for Bolosco pods and Iridani modules.

If that module worked, an 'attack' module could flesh out the empires above, giving more ships and bases, along with a couple of the civilian ships from Captain's Log #20.

I'd keep the later Auroran ships to one side, and suggest they be offered alongside ships from four other empires (Probr, Koligahr, Vari, trading-Qixa) at some later point... if the first and second module worked, that is.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

Please try this again.

There will not be an Attack-style module for Omega. There *may* be a PDF-only Briefing-style module for Omega. Don't worry about ship cards. Don't worry about finishing the deal (e.g. Battleships, unless are truly intrinsic to the fleets). Don't worry about complete fleets. Do worry about playable fleets.

Instead, look at it this way: There are 24 ship cards to give an overview of Omega. Remember that for there to be any more, this has to sell well enough. That means they need to be 24 ships that will do the best to draw people in. Bonus points if they have miniatures.

So, ignore you prior post and give three or four empires, with 6-8 ships each. What empires will have the broadest appeal? What empires will have the best impact? What empires' rules will translate best into FC? What empires are the most fun to play?

Now, with that all in mind, what do you suggest?

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRA of course, because they have minis available already...
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'bonus' ships could be folded into the main list with no problems:

------

Auroran - CLA, CL, FF, CR, PBT
Męsron - DN, CA, CL, DD, FF
Trobrin - DSN, CC, CA, FFL, FF
Iridani - MW, GL, CP, BQ, CR, YW
Bolosco - MD, MC
Support - card with Iridani module and Bolosco pod info

Battleships (if possible) - Męsron BB, Iridani MW

------

Also, I didn't pick this choice of empires for nothing.

*The Aurorans are front and centre, as they have Alpha Octant species in there (initially from the Federation, but with Klingon, Lyran and ISC add-ons later on) - and as Scoutdad mentions, they have minis.

*The Męsrons are at the very heart of Omega history. Centrally located in Omega the way the Federation are in Alpha, their rise, fall and renaissance help define the entire Octant. Plus, with the Civil War, you can fly both alongside and against Auroran ships. (There are some variants and modified ships the Vulpa used, which I'd hope to see in a follow-on module if things get that far.)

*The Trobrin are, arguably, the best choice as the first major adversary empire. Their ships are big and tough, they are long-standing rivals of the Alliance, and they are the first empire to take a pop at the Aurora system itself.

*The Bolosco have a wide-ranging remit, travelling far and wide across Omega. The ships in the list, the Merchant Cruiser and Mercenary Dreadnought, are their two most powerful units - and are among the most dangerous ships in Omega space (especially with the right choice of pods).

*The Iridani, knightly space-otters on far-reaching Quests, can be called upon to serve the terms of their honour-bound tasks in as many ways as you like. Plus, when the Andromedans came calling, the Iridani fleet managed not only to liberate their home space, but to launch Crusades back into the embattled Omega Octant... not least in a battle in 2600 which saved the Federal Republic's bacon.

*And I want the battleships in there because they are ideal flagships for their respective fleets (not least for the Iridani, who historically built several Man-O-War BBs in their home Cluster, at least two of which survived the Grand Quest to retake the Throne Planet of Iridia). Indeed, these ships can help take the fight to an Andromedan player looking to set the ships from War and Peace loose against them - not least in 2604's Operation Concerted Strike, when a united Omegan fleet defeated the last major Andro foothold in our side of the Milky Way galaxy.

I stand by my argument that with the list of ships above, FC Omega would have as good a chance to get off the ground as any.

*fingers crossed*
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the double post, but I figured I'd try to count out the new rules which these ships might need.

*The Aurorans are more or less good to go. The only new weapon rules needed are those for the altered-scale photon torpedoes*.

(The Throne eventually gets refitted with a tachyon missile rack, but that would be covered further down. There are other systems they have in SFB - shuttle bombs and short-range cannons - but I'd argue neither are all that necessary in FC. Standard suicide shuttles will do fine, and the only ships with SRCs can replace them with TMs or ESGs anyway.)

*The Męsrons need three new rules - tachyon guns*, tachyon missiles* and wide-angle phasers*.

Of those, the TGs are Alliance-only, but the Phaser-Ws and missiles overlap with other fleets.

*The Trobrin need three new rules, too - radiation phasers*, implosion bolts* and implosion torpedoes.

The bolts and torps are Trobrin only, but the Phaser-Rs are handy for the Bolosco.

*The Iridani use the same phasers as the Męsrons, so only need new rules for the focused energy beam* and target illuminator* - as well as notes about module* use.

*The Bolosco can pick and choose their phasers, but can get by with the wide-angle and radiation phasers for now. (Other phasers can wait for later modules.) Plus, they can use the same TMs as the Męsrons.

They would need rules for their focused tractor beam and integrated warp tractor, as well as notes on how to use their pods.

So that's a total of thirteen new rules - nine of which (the ones marked with an asterisk) have draft versions here in the thread already.
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Nevermind about the frax, I read the entire post, sorry

Last edited by wedge_hammersteel on Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: That's okay.

Kind of ironic how the FRA and Frax can both more or less get by with pre-existing rules, though.

It might get confusing in SFB if anyone asks for FRA X-ships, though!
Barry Kirk
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe I missed this topic for so long. Just read the whole thing... all five pages of it.

I would certainly buy an Omega module for FC.

As for your choice of empires, they are certainly acceptable.

Can I ask that all these ships be play tested before being released since, for much of Omega the BPV values are way off and need to be adjusted.

After reading this post, I saw several references to the Singers. They are an intriguing race, but their tachyosonic beams are broken. Currently they are so feeble as to not even be worth arming.

However they can be fixed relatively easily. In a couple of days, I'll look up an old e-mail and post my suggestions as to how to fix the Tachyosonic beams.

After the show bath and before the show, she went digging in the mud.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the thread!

Glad to see another Omega fan pop in.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, Gary, that looks like a LOT of rules for one book, but try this...

Go convert the rules you think you need into FC and email them to me AFTER ORIGINS and I'll put them into a book and see how many pages it is. Then we can run it up the flagpole and see if anybody salutes.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the amount of rules offered at once would be an issue, I'd be worried about another project I was hoping to get back into after Origins... but I'll leave that one aside for now.

For anyone so interested, I will try to post up draft rules for the last four systems here - though I should note that while I have my copy of the OMRB to hand, my Reference Rulebook is still either in one of the post-move boxes here in the new place, or in one of the post-move boxes down in storage.

Plus, I'm still a little bit unsure how to handle the Trobrin torpedoes, among other things.

So, basically, if anyone wants to pop in (or pop back in) with any ideas, comments or feedback, please do.
Barry Kirk
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll volunteer to do the singers...

As for the Tachyosonic beams... I'd like to get my hands on War & Peace first and see how the PPD rules are written before I start converting the Tachyosonic beams.

Having said that, here are some comments I made about Tachyosonic beams with regards to good old SFB.

Note that this is from an e-mail I was writing about Tournament Singers...

Quote:

Any case, one of the other races I've been looking at are the Singers. Their primary heavy weapon, the tachyosonic beam, is problematic at best. In fact, I don't think it would be possible to get a balanced tournament cruiser Singer using the TSB. To get the tournament cruiser Singer to work, I would have to give it the enhanced or ETSB. However, the OMRB says that that weapon is borderline X technology and I don't want to put X-tech in a tourney cruiser. So, I started looking for alternatives.

While looking through the OMRB rules and the SSD books, I saw the vast difference in the weapon as originally published and the damage charts in the OMRB.

The tables in the SSD book showed a weapon that upon initial inspection was staggeringly powerful and cheap. Obviously, it needed to be toned down. The damage charts in the Omega Master Rulebook did just that, but it looked to be way too much of a correction.

Comparing the SSD charts to the OMRB charts the following changes were made to the Tachyosonic Beams.

1. The per pulse damage was reduced at all power levels, in most cases by at least a factor of two and some cases a factor of 3!!! That is huge.

2. The accuracy at all ranges was reduced. Sometimes significantly.

3. The range of all the levels of overloading was reduced by one range bracket.

To get a better idea of what was going on, I started running the numbers to get a handle on the power of the weapon. I checked the following.

a. Total Average Damage at each range bracket.
b. Average Damage per power point put into the weapon.
c. Average Damage per power point of holding cost.

When compared to the PPD which is an uber weapon, the original tachyosonic beam in the SSD was far more powerful than the PPD. However, the version as printed in the OMRB was pitifully weak.

I created a spreadsheet to compare the TSB, the ETSB, and the PPD. After creating this spreadsheet, to confirm my initial feeling about the TSB, I e-mailed Bruce Graw, and asked him for his thoughts on the TSB.

Based on my analysis on the spreadsheet, I would like to suggest the following changes to the TSB.

1. Use the ETSB beam damage table for the standard TSB. ( Note that the TSB would not get the ability to increase the arming level by two per turn that the ETSB has. )

2. Give the ETSB an enhancement, that instead of five pulses, it only gets four, but it actually starts doing damage on the same impulse that it achieves focus. And allow the ETSB to fire overloads at one range bracket further out, ie critical overloads could hit at range 2-8 instead of 2-4. Standard overloads could hit out to range 14 instead of range 8.... etc.

Since, the ETSB was considered to be something of an X-weapon anyway, this wouldn't increase it's damage per say, but rather would increase it's flexibility and allow it to use the higher energy levels at longer range.

The new TSB using the ETSB damage chart would become an average weapon which is hopefully more balanced.

After the show bath and before the show, she went digging in the mud.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things I wanted to mention.

*The issue you present over the TSB is really something that needs to be debated in SFB first. To do that, you'd need to take it up in the SFB Omega section of the legacy BBS (not least since, as far as I'm aware, SPP uses that one exclusively).

Plus, if you post there about it now, you may not hear much back about it until after Origins. (I'm not one to talk, though!)

This thread is focussed on trying to make whichever weapons and systems that currently exist in SFB that are needed to make FC Omega work ported over.

If SPP signs off on any changes or revisions for SFB, then we can start talking about how best to bring them over to FC.

*An idea I had was that eventually, the Singers could be matched up in a product with the Loriyill and Souldra - I was even thinking you could call it "Songs of Fire and Darkness", to hint at the three fleets' various traits. (It could be called something else entirely, though.)

Still, that kind of trio might be a way off, compared to other groups of empires in the queue. (Not least if you think of the headaches that converting the Souldra to FC might bring...)

Having Singer rules (and those for the Loriyill) would be handy to have on the shelf, of course - but there are other empires that might need to get hammered out first. But then, the quantum phasers on later Singer ships are the same as in certain other fleets, not least the Probr. So, if the salamanders get done early on, it'll make work on the Singers (and other Phaser-Q users) that bit easier.

*I was looking back over the Bolosco rules in the OMRB, as well as the SSDs for the MC and MD in Omega 4.

On the one hand, there are a number of tricks and quirks the SFB Bolosco have, even aside from the pods, FTBs and IWTs. Ship stabilisers, different suicide shuttles, rules on locking the cargo bulkheads, and so forth.

On the other hand, in FC terms, I'm not sure they need them all. (Or the various tricks the IWT offers, either.)

So, my plan is to try and work their conversion one step at a time. I want to start with one or two systems (the FTB and the issue of pod usage) and see how the ships look with those. If they look good, I'd move on to the IWT. If the ships are enough at that stage, I'd leave it at that - but if not, I'd try to work out the funkier stuff. (Though to be honest, I not convinced they'd suffer terribly sticking with regular shuttles and doing without the cargo lockdown trick...)

So, once I find my FC books again, I'll see what I can do.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PPD rules are in the reference rulebook (I think, I cannot find my copy, my desk is a mess) so they're already available.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 5 of 20

Jump to: