Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post sample Battlesquadrons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Post sample Battlesquadrons Reply with quote

Hey everyone. For discussion sake, I invite you to post your choice of tournament battlegroup, and why you like your choice. All ya gots to do is choose a battlegroup following the rules here: http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2167

Post your ships and tell me why you like it. I'll post my choices tomorrow.
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I am going to Origins, I will hold my fleet choice til then.

Talking about tourny fleets in general terms might be OK but for those of us going to Origins, a fleet choice is a big part of strategy.

However, if you are going to Origins, please tell us all about your fleet choice. Very Happy
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I hadn't thought of that. I was just curious. I am planning on running a small tournament at the next Strategicon on LA over Labor Day, and this is part of my prep.
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about the different fleets in general is fine. I would like to read what others have to post.

Our group has been practicing tourny battles for the past 6 months. Trying out different races...different fleet configurations....choosing a three ship fleet or a 4 ship fleet.......one heavy ship and 2 lighter ships.....three similar class ships.....flying wings a-breast or echelon spread.....starting out at speed 24 or smooth and steady at 16...alpha strike or staying at the edge of optimum range.

So many decisions.
malleman
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

**Spoiler Alert**
Burt is playing...
And I am playing...

Seriously, I think ths would be a great topic in a month or so. I would love to read what other players think.
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, let's drop it until after. No problem. I didn't think, as I will not be going.

malleman wrote:
**Spoiler Alert**
Burt is playing...
And I am playing...

Seriously, I think ths would be a great topic in a month or so. I would love to read what other players think.
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats cool. The forum hasnt been this fired up in quite some time.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing the tourney rules for a while with a regular opponent. However, the 2009 rules had a different start position which we were using (we thought it was a bit odd, and was probably a typo), Also the old rules had a win as being any points more than the other guy, 1 pt was a win (and loss for the other guy), that is a big difference to the new rules. Plus the time limit has been increased (from 3 to 4 hours). Therefore some of my thoughts might not be so relevant under the newer rules.

I'm not going to origins (wrong continent) so heres a few of my thoughts.

I like the hydran stinger fleet - Theres a post about further down the page. Anyone thinking stingers are only effective at ranges <= 3 will lose badly. 2 mohawks with 8 stingers each and a Gendarme with 2 stingers.

Orions are nice. I like the all ph1 fleet as it is flexible, even if it does lack the punch of heavy weapons. 2 BC and a CA all ph1s

I never used to play romulans, but after trying them a couple of times in a tournery setup I've quite got to like them. Cloaks are nice and multiple plasma R just ooze respect (even if you do just fire it at a stinger!). 2 KE and 2 snipes.

I like kzinti, but I have a problem trying to come up with a tourney force. There's a couple of races who just laugh at them (LDR and Tholains), I've tried them once and won but, whilst I keep contemplating them every week, I just can't help but feel that more than any other race they rely on not meeting certain opponents. My regular opponent likes LDR and Tholians. The new drone cruiser has a really annoying price, i can't seem to fit 2 of them in a squad I like without being under or over by just a couple of points Sad

Klingons and moreso Seltorians are very tough to play, they lack crunch and lack the room on a fixed map to readily outmanouver/run any one with crunch. At least the klingons have manouverable ships, selts fly bath tubs amd can't even evade feds.
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I though the rules stipulated that a Hydran Fleet could only have a max of 8 stingers for the whole fleet.

Yeah, I checked. 8 stingers max but you can spread them out over the three or four ships in your fleet. You would leave the hanger bays empty for the ships without a full compliment of stingers.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha - yes another thing that has changed from the 2009 rules.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the Briefing #2 ships aren't eligible for the Origins tourney, you could cook up some Middle Years squadrons for argument's sake, and still not spoil your 'official' selections.

(I'd like to see some kind of MY event somewhere, one day...)
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really need to be doing FCOL tournaments. Somebody send a memo to Paul and he and I will discuss it at Origins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: