Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An early battle report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeoTanuki
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: An early battle report Reply with quote

A gamer friend of mine and I tried out a ship vs. ship duel last night. We played Fleet scale, he took a Federation New Light Cruiser and I chose the Romulan War Eagle. Since this was his first time playing, we used the quick start rules (both ships at speed 16, plasma bolts only, no drones)

It was a very fun match. I started off strong, getting into a position to take down one of his shields with my phasers, and using my cloak to reduce return fire considerably.

Unfortunately, I made two mistakes...we had a close-in pass and I was ready to fire a plasma bolt...and then I realized I had not checked my firing arc carefully and he was just out of it. D'oh!

Then, during a later pass, I decided to fire phasers...and accidentally left myself just short of power to cloak. A photon torpedo strike a couple of impulses later left most of my systems out, and I conceded.

So, thoughts I took away from this match:

1. KNOW. YOUR. FIRING. ARCS! Next time, I definitely need to try a Kestrel or Hawk series next time...had I done so this match, I would at least have gotten one plasma shot off this battle with their FP arcs.

2. That said, though, I think I need to consider plasma more as a weapon of opportunity (fire it if a good chance happens to come up) rather than making plasma shots my top priority...I got a little over-eager maneuvering to set up plasma bolts and made a few key errors that way. I think relying on phaser sniping and then cloaking for defense was working much more effectively for me.

3. I was impressed with the shields and armor on the Eagle series...but better maneuverability was huge for my friend, as he always got to see where I could move. Next battle, I'd rather have better maneuverability.

4. I must remember to always check whether I have enough power to cloak before firing weapons...sometimes you need cloak in a hurry!

5. On that note, the cloak worked very effectively for me in the early game... ironically, my mistake was NOT using it at that key point in turn 3.

Overall, I really enjoyed the match. I was worried playing Romulans would slow down the pace too much and make it boring, but we were done in around an hour and a half, and the game moved at a pretty fast clip...to be honest, it moved a lot faster than I expected. Again, kudos to the designers for the clean, well-written rules, I only needed to look up one or two things very briefly in the rule book during the battle.

I'm looking forward to meeting up with a local group of FC players tomorrow and trying out the full movement rules in a battle....there were many times during this duel where I was thinking, "If only I could accelerate!" or "If only I could slow down!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: