Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favorite smallish scenarios?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirkSJ
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Map Floats on the Gorn Ship sir. Reply with quote

yockbo wrote:
DirkSJ wrote:
JimDauphinais wrote:
The map floats on the Gorn ship making it possible for the Gorn ship to avoid being cornered.

No, the scenario says the map floats around the place the Gorn ship started. It's a fixed floating map.

8B102b - [2nd & 3rd sentence] The map is a "location map"; it can float within 50 hexes of the Gorn ship (or the hex it is destroyed in). Any ship leaving the map has left the scenario and is counted as having disengaged.

Not sure where you are reading that, I am reading from:
http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/Commanders%20Circle/documents/Communique-7.pdf

On there it says:
"The map is a “location map”; it can be floated within 50 hexes of the original hex of the Gorn ship. Any ship leaving the map has left the scenario."
yockbo
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Map Floats on the Gorn Ship sir. Reply with quote

DirkSJ wrote:
yockbo wrote:
DirkSJ wrote:
JimDauphinais wrote:
The map floats on the Gorn ship making it possible for the Gorn ship to avoid being cornered.

No, the scenario says the map floats around the place the Gorn ship started. It's a fixed floating map.

8B102b - [2nd & 3rd sentence] The map is a "location map"; it can float within 50 hexes of the Gorn ship (or the hex it is destroyed in). Any ship leaving the map has left the scenario and is counted as having disengaged.

Not sure where you are reading that, I am reading from:
http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/Commanders%20Circle/documents/Communique-7.pdf

On there it says:
"The map is a “location map”; it can be floated within 50 hexes of the original hex of the Gorn ship. Any ship leaving the map has left the scenario."

Ah, that explains it. I am getting that out of my Briefing #1. Which I believe post dates that Comm. BUT, having the map fixed within 50 hexes of the STARTING location of the Gorn BC would fix it for sure. Perhaps that's why we never got an answer to that question when we raised it here: http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2780.
DirkSJ
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Map Floats on the Gorn Ship sir. Reply with quote

yockbo wrote:
Ah, that explains it. I am getting that out of my Briefing #1. Which I believe post dates that Comm. BUT, having the map fixed within 50 hexes of the STARTING location of the Gorn BC would fix it for sure. Perhaps that's why we never got an answer to that question when we raised it here: http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2780.

While it makes a little less sense from a "realistic" perspective I think it fixes things better, yeah. Imposing an arbitrary speed limit on the Gorn could be explained away by prior frame damage or some mumbo jumbo but I think it changes the force dynamic too much. This way the Gorn can still use his engines to mitigate plasma damage but can't just run forever.
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"BUT, having the map fixed within 50 hexes of the STARTING location of the Gorn BC would fix it for sure."

Unfortunately, I don't think it does. The errata is interesting as you may remember that Joe suggested that fix and that is how we played it (we thought that might have been what was meant by the poor wording in the Briefing #1 version). However, as you may now also remember, it did not work in our playing.

The problem is that the Gorn ship starts both facing away from the R&Ks and far enough away from the R&Ks that it can simply lead the Romulans and Klingons on a 4 hex per Impulse chase around a 100 hex diameter circumference (see the link to my older post in another topic that Yockbo cited to above).

Now maybe we were missing some trick, but all I remember is the four of us who played it felt it was broken as written even with our adjustment (which is apparently consistent with how it works in the original version published in Communique). I would love to find out that we were missing some tactic that could be used to counter such play by the Gorn player as the concept of the scenario is interesting.

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
DirkSJ
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't the two Roms fan out and pincer? If he turns he is going to come face to face with one....and after 2 turns he will have to turn.
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they could. However, the Gorn player has some of control in regard to where the pincer will occur and should be able to avoid catching any Plasma torpedos. Firing plasma torpedos from opposite directions will not work against a ship moving 4 hexes per impulse unless those torpedos are fired at very close range or fired in a manner which corners the Gorn ship on the map such that the BC cannot evade the torpedoes. Also, the Romulan ships are weak in regard to direct fire weapons and will likely be facing incoming Gorn plasma torpedos when they try to close the range though this is somwhat tempered by the fact that the Gorn ship may have very limited energy to put into plasma due to it moving 4 hexes per impulse.

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
phul
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the Gorn in the scenario being described (I'm joe!), the roms can spread for the pincer, but then the Gorn will be putting alot of fire on one rom ship, which he must take in the face in order to execute the pincer. I seem to recall a time limit too... but I may be wrong on this. And a 100 diameter hex grid gives me 50 hexes to a side... or 5 turns from side to side. With even half way decently coordinated movements by the gorn/fed, I'd give the victory to them 9/10 times.
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite smallish scenarios? Reply with quote

DirkSJ wrote:
My gaming group regularly has 4 players and we've found that 2 on 2 (or 3 on 3 perhaps if the ships aren't too large) works about right as far as the amount of time we have to play. If prepared ahead of time, perhaps 3 on 3 with bigger ships.

My quandary is this: In the scenario booklets I have almost every scenario looks like a massive 6-7 ship vs 6-7 ship battle...and we simply don't have that kind of time.

Can anyone point me to their personal favorite smaller sized scenarios that would fit 4 players and the above force size criteria well?

I personally like a good old fashioned duel, mano e mano. So, with 4 people, an FFA or 2 on 2?

"Since my customary greeting would seem entirely self serving, I will simply say good luck."

"Live long and Prosper."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: