Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Basic Ship Combat Tactics Primer for SFB / FC ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Basic Ship Combat Tactics Primer for SFB / FC ? Reply with quote

Dear SVC and Friends,

Is there somewhere out there a primer on basic and intermediate tactics on ship, squadron and fleet combat for SFB and FC ? I know there are great paragraphs and articles on advanced tactics and some elements of basic tactics for particular systems in this thread, Captain's Log and what have you, but I haven't really seen much on general and beginning tactics as a whole.

I really need this since I've been more of a ground pounder in my gaming career, and haven't really got a feel of good squid-manship (with due respect) despite almost 3 decades of on-and-off playing !

There are some good "tidbits", but what I am looking for would be a primer that would give a wholistic view of tactics. Something like those primers for chess novices would be great, or an "SFB / FC for Dummies" Maybe even some more comprehensive discussion of the differing tactical philosophies and doctrines among empires would be great.

The article "Starship Combat Maneuvering" by Commo. Patrick Doyle in FC Briefing 1 is great. It should be followed up with other aspects of Captaincy - ie energy allocation, weapons, shields and defenses, etc.

In fact, this could even be a new product line - tactics manuals per empire !!!

Cheers !

Gary
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps THIS is what you're looking for?

It's primarily for SFB, but many of the tactics are usable in Fed Comm, too.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also look back through this forum section. Some of the threads have not only basic tactics and discussions on them, but also full-scale articles like this one:

http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=851

You will find this forum section to be a rich repository of tactics good )and less good), interesting discussions and even many tactics that ended up being published in Captain's Log.
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commodore Doyle also usually has a major tactics article or two in each FC Briefing.
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
Perhaps THIS is what you're looking for?

It's primarily for SFB, but many of the tactics are usable in Fed Comm, too.

+++Memory Flashback+++ Yes Scoutdad, wow I now remember this ! I saw the SFB Tactics Manual at my brick and mortar FLGS (good ole' Compleat Strategist in mid-town Manhattan, where I conduct an at least annual pilgrimage) years ago, but at a time when I was taking a break from the SFU. (Am now kicking self).

Ok, time to order one ! But perhaps a truly FC-dedicated Tactics Manual should be produced, to include a compilation of relevant articles from CL.

Thanks !

Gary
Chewy
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of my friends and I played SFB about 25 to 30 years ago during our late teens and have managed to stay close over the years. Recently we started playing FC. It has quickly become our favorite tabletop strategy game, and has scratched our SFB itch that we had during our younger years. I've only read through the FC Reference Rulebook twice so I'm still absorbing and memorizing some of the crunchy bits.

I've already swallowed the lemonade and bought all the products for our six player STL gaming group (KB, RB, KA, RA, TA, DK, HA, OA, BA, Line of Fire, Boosters #0-27,91-92, and Briefing #1,2, Reference Rulebook). I really like that ADB puts alot of ships and scenarios online under their Commanders Circle player resources and greatly supports the SFB and FC community. I'm also grateful that so many on the forums have been avid SFB and now FC players for many years. You guys are a great resource and I find myself reading through tons of FC threads.

I've been trying familiarize myself once again to the different SF races and their play styles (25 years absent is a long time) and wanted to get some feedback from some veteran players to see if I'm on the right track. Here is just a brief synopsis of most of the races:

Feds - Average to weak turn modes, average power curve, Crunch FA arc race w/excellent phasers. Best ships for power, balance and effectiveness seem to be NCL, NCA, CS. They live or die by their photons. Ships tend to have 1 or 2 drones racks.

Klingons - Good to excellent turn mode, excellent power curve, great firing arcs, average phasers and all weapons are energy-on-demand every turn. Somewhat of a finesse race since they can Charge, Saber Dance, Shallow Saber Dance, and Waggle. Best ships for power, balance and/or weapon arcs seem to be F5W/D5/D7/C7. Ships tend to have 2 to 4 drone racks.

Kzinti - Good turn mode, good power curve and every turn firing w/phasers, disruptors and lots of drones. Somewhat of a finesse race since they emulate most of the Klingon tactics. Once they are ready to strike they follow the Drone Wedge as they Charge or close to 1 range and Anchor their opponent then Crunch w/drones. Ships tend to have 4 or more drone racks. I haven't experimented with the ships enough to know which seem to be the best for power, balance and effectiveness.

Romulan - Average to good turn mode, speed 16 cloaked, slow arming plasmas, decent phasers. Definitely a finesse race and one needs to master cloaking/uncloaking and plasma strategies (normal, quick loading Pl-Fs and Plasma-Bolts) to be effective. The best ships for power and balance seem to be the third generation Hawk ships, especially the smaller SeaHawk and Skyhawk.

Gorn - Poor to Average turn mode, good to excellent power, slow arming plasmas, lots of Ph-1s. Need to use EM to close then decide when to fire their phasers and plasmas (normal, quick loading Pl-Fs, Plasma-Bolts or Carronade). They tend to be more reactive and see how close their opponent will let them close before they decide to launch normal plasmas or bolt them. I haven't experimented with the ships enough to know which seem to be the best for power, balance and effectiveness.

Lyrans LDR - Probably the best no weakness ships; excellent power and turn modes, long range (Disr/Ph-1) and devastating short range (Ph-G/ESG) fire power, and sturdy. Their ships like to get up close and personal and if you let them get to range 0-1 your in a world of hurt. I haven't experimented with the ships enough to know which seem to be the best for power, balance and effectiveness.

Hydrans - Good power and turn mode ships that are sturdy for their size. They are deadly at range 0-3 with (Ph-G/Fusion/Stingers). They fire long range HB's and use EM to help them Charge to range 0-2 with their fighters trailing, then, they use Ph-G/Fusions and send their Stingers for strafing runs. Similar to the Lyran LDR in that if you let them get to range 0-2 its probably lights out. I haven't experimented with the ships enough to know which seem to be the best for power, balance and effectiveness.

Seltorian - Poor turn mode and weak to average FA weapon arcs. Lots of Ph-1s/Ph-3s, twice-firing PCs, and SCs. All weapons are energy-on-demand. They need to use their superior number of Marines and transporters and H&R and/or board their enemy if possible. They can poorly Saber Dance with their FA arc PCs or Charge and H&R. I haven't experimented with the ships enough to know which seem to be the best for power, balance and effectiveness.

Tholians & Neo-Tholians - They are dirty fighting race. Never expect a stand up fight against the Tholians. Ships have good power and weapon distribution with Ph-1s/Ph-3s and Disr/Phot. Lots of rear firing Ph-3s allow them to hit and run and snipe at you if you pursue. Web generators which are typically only effective with multiple ships in your fleet. Neo-Tholians add WC which add quick solidifying mobile terrain which is extremely effective in combat. The primary limitation against using Neo-Tholians is that they can only make up 1/3 of your fleet. Basically, use your webs to create obstacles for your enemy and cover for yourself, while you can still shoot through your webs. I haven't experimented with the ships enough to know which seem to be the best for power, balance and effectiveness.

Orion Pirates - Excellent power, speed, and turn modes w/lots of weapon variety and stealth. At equal range their stealth gives them an advantage but their achilles heel is their predominantly FA arcs for most of their weapons. All their ships from the smallest to the BR all seem to be very effective for their cost.

WYN and ISC - No idea. I definitely need some help here.

Thanks,
Patrick Doyle
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: Fed Com Tactics Manual Reply with quote

Domingo,
actually a tactics manual is in the works. I am always looking for contributions. A good portion of it is done, however real life has slowed down the progress. I am compiling and writing articles that will be submitted to SVC once it is completed. Don't expect it anytime soon but it Is in progress.

And this is for everyone - whAt I really need are empire specific articles. Terry O'Carrol provided a great Seltorian article. Even if you don t have a complete polished article, I can clean up a rough draft. I am not an expert on every empire so any help is appreciated.

Also, if there are specific topics that you wish to have covered, let me know so I can make sure the manual is as complete as possible.

domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Patrick,

Fantastic news ! I'd like to recommend that the manual be written perhaps with a view to also attract a broader audience for FC, ergo emphasize that FC would be a useful tool to hone tactical skills. The broader audience would be the military community as a whole, and the general public which have not quite yet discovered the joys of board wargaming.

It should also include a "Naval Tactics 101" a very basic primer on the general principles of ship combat, even drawing on wet-navy examples.

Perhaps the manual could also come in a series - basic, intermediate and advanced, and/or squadron and fleet tactics editions.

Cheers,

Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: