Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kzinti Drone tactics
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think the premium for fast drones would probably be worth it, IF you are launching offensively.
Capt Jack
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always fire 4 drones first turn.

After that generaly just 3 or 2 a turn. So reloading the racks as I go.

I feel drone frequence is as important as drone denisity. Surprised Rolling Eyes Shocked The only time I would fire and not reload IF I thought the extra would make a differance. (or i need Dam con for something else Shocked )
Capt Disruptor
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting, I was thinking about this today before I read this thread and the two options I came up with for the Kzinti was either not to worry about it and put out 4 drones a round for 4 rounds or plan on a rolling schedule that included repairs. The rolling schedule I came up with was 4; 4; 3; 3; 2; 3 or 4; 3 or 4. Obviously, the opponent, course of the battle, and other pressing repair needs would be the deciding factor but now I am leaning toward damn the torpedoes and fire them all anyway.
Klingon of Gor
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a Kzinti BC my likely firing pattern will 4 on Impulse 8, turn 1, and 2 on impulse 1 of the following turn. I'm going to put as many drones in the air as I can control. What happens after that depends on the tactical situation. I may fire two more drones on turn 2 to replace drones intercepted by the enemy, or not. I won't worry much about reloading until I'm actually out, or I lose a rack to enemy action. The games I've played generally haven't lasted long enough for reloading to be an issue. I prefer to throw as many drones as possible at the enemy in the shortest possible time, in order to force him to burn power, maneuver to avoid the drones, or use up intercepts. The more drones I have in the air, the better my chances of getting one through, and the more effort he'll have to devote to countering them.

Sure, I could fire 3 and keep one back, but that means he has an extra power point to power weapons, or buy acceleration, or an extra phaser to hurt me with. Over three turns, that could be three phaser 1s, or an overload for a photon or disruptor. The benefit of a longer sustained rate of fire is hypothetical and in the future, the damage that phaser, that photon, or that disruptor will do to me is right now. If you have a dreadnought or other ship with so many racks that you can fire to the limit of your control capability and still do rolling reloads, then that's great. But in general, for Kzinti ships like a standard BC, your drones are a big chunk of your firepower, and you have to get use out of them. Get them in the air. Don't save them for a future your ship may not have.

THis rule has a few exceptions. Dave P Once posted a thread called The Last Drone in the Rack, that bears rereading, which touches on this issue. Also, with some races or monsters, it may make sense to fire drones in a slow trickle on account of their excellent drone defenses. Tholians with web generators are a case in point. One Andros can be another, and some monsters may apply as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: