Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PD PBP Campaign: The Cardinal of Klinshai (Players Only)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: PD PBP Campaign: The Cardinal of Klinshai (Players Only) Reply with quote

INTRODUCTION:

This is an experimental PBP Campaign. All are welcome to join, but please read first:

General Rules (from Jean)

1. We cannot allow elements of Star Trek in that we don't have rights to. No TNG, no monsters or situations from The Original Series that you haven't seen in our RPGs or fiction, no characters from the movies or series (oblique references to a dashing young captain or a calm Vulcan science officer could be carefully worked in), and nothing from FASA or other companies' ST games can be used.

2. I know how much fun it is to cross universes, but nothing from other intellectual properties can be used. Please, no Man-Kzin Wars, no B5, no Dr. Who, etc.

3. It is a family board, so no "adult situations" can happen. Keep that to PMs or email.

4. Remember that all Forum rules apply. Let's try to avoid comparison to RW politics or introduction of controversial subjects. I know that TOS tackled sensitive topics, but the reactions (in general) were limited to a single household and here, we'd have the opinions of hundreds of strong-minded people who wouldn't object to expressing their opinions. If you play former General McDiamond, fired from his post in the SF Marines, you can't really talk about politics on the side.

Mechanics (from Mike et al)

1. Please read my instructions and the scenario setting carefully before posting. It will be as free in form as possible, but with recourse to PD Gurps and Federation Commander rules as needed. You should have at least the basic PD Gurps Book and FC Rules.

2. Your first post should be the basics of your character stats and background. You will play a character that you have rolled yourself using PD Gurps 4th Ed. Your character is an active-duty Starfleet Officer of any race, gender and branch, and should be between LTSG (Marine Capt) to CAPT (Marine Col) in rank. [EDIT: Use 200 points.]

3. Each post must be marked with "[IC]" or "[OOC]" to denote if the post is "in character" or "out of character". Please don't mix the two. That just gets confusing.

4. Don't forget that all posts are public, so please PM me with confidential queries.

5. Your posts should be responses to my questions or statements.

6. We'll figure this out as we go along !

7. Have fun !
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM: The Scenario

The setting is Starfleet HQ, Earth. The year is 173, the General War is escalating. You were on shore leave, but were urgently summoned to Room 101 at SFHQ. The orders to report were signed by the Chief of Starfleet Intelligence, and were marked secret, but were also coursed through your immediate superior. The orders did not indicate any further details, but you have heard rumors of last-minute ship and marine unit re-assignments, and many shore leaves being cancelled.

You are now in Room 101, a dimly-lit chamber with a dozen small individual boots. The lone redshirt guard in the room ushered you into a booth, with its own sliding door, chair and wall screen (reminiscent of the photo boots of 20th Century Earth). You are now alone in your booth, the door closed. The screen instructs you to confirm your basic personal and career information.

PLAYERS: Your first post should be your character's basic details.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: OOC: Lt. Riley Wilker's Character sheet Reply with quote

Lt. Riley Wilker (200 points)
Age 27; Human

ST 10 [0]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 14 [80]; HT 10 [0].
Damage 1d-2/1d; BL 20 lbs.; HP 12 [4]; Will 14 [0]; Per 14 [0]; FP 10 [0].
Basic Speed 5.75 [0]; Basic Move 5 [0]; Block 0; Dodge 8; Parry 9 (Judo).

Social Background
TL: 10 [0].
CF:
Languages: English (Native) [0].

Advantages
Fit [5]; Rank (Starfleet) 3 [15]; Resistant (Disease) (Occasional) (+3) [3]; Security Clearance (GIA Clearance) (''Need to know'' access to a narrow range of secrets) [5]; Seniority 4 [0]; Social Regard (Respected) 3 [15].

Disadvantages
Appearance (Unattractive) [-4]; Code of Honor (Star Fleet) [-10]; Duty (Star Fleet) (15 or less (almost always)) [-15]; Overconfidence (12 or less) [-5]; Post-Combat Shakes (9 or less) [-7]; Sense of Duty (Federation) (Large Group) [-10].
Quirks: Constantly rubs hands together nervously.; Fascinated by new technology.; Listens to ocean sounds to get to sleep.; Longs to command his own ship.; Uncomfortable around non-humans. [-5].

Skills
Acting-14 (IQ+0) [2]; Administration-13 (IQ-1) [1]; Astronomy/TL10-12 (IQ-2) [1]; Beam Weapons/TL10 (Pistol)-14 (DX+1) [2]; Beam Weapons/TL10 (Rifle)-13 (DX+0) [1]; Computer Hacking/TL10-13 (IQ-1) [4]; Computer Operation/TL10-14 (IQ+0) [1]; Computer Programming/TL10-13 (IQ-1) [2]; Current Affairs/TL10 (Politics)-14 (IQ+0) [1]; Diplomacy-12 (IQ-2) [1]; Electronics Operation/TL12 (Tractor Beam)-14 (IQ+0) [2]; Electronics Operation (Transporter)-14 (IQ+0) [2]; Electronics Operation (Tricorder)-14 (IQ+0) [2]; Electronics Repair/TL12 (Security Systems)-14 (IQ+0) [2]; Electronics Repair/TL12 (Sensors)-14 (IQ+0) [2]; Electronics Repair/TL12 (Shields)-14 (IQ+0) [2]; Engineer/TL10 (Electronics)-13 (IQ-1) [2]; Engineer/TL12 (Impulse Drive)-12 (IQ-2) [1]; Engineer/TL12 (Reactors & Power)-12 (IQ-2) [1]; Engineer/TL12 (Shuttlecraft)-12 (IQ-2) [1]; Engineer/TL12 (Warp Drive)-12 (IQ-2) [1]; Expert Skill (Operations (Space))-13 (IQ-1) [2]; Expert Skill (Xenology)-12 (IQ-2) [1]; Fast-Talk-13 (IQ-1) [1]; First Aid/TL10 (Human)-14 (IQ+0) [1]; Free Fall-12 (DX-1) [1]; History (Recent Federation)-12 (IQ-2) [1]; Judo-12 (DX-1) [2]; Karate-12 (DX-1) [2]; Knife-13 (DX+0) [1]; Law (Federation Military)-12 (IQ-2) [1]; Leadership-13 (IQ-1) [1]; Lockpicking/TL10-13 (IQ-1) [1]; Mathematics/TL10 (Applied)-12 (IQ-2) [1]; Mechanic/TL12 (Impulse Drive)-14 (IQ+0) [2]; Mechanic/TL12 (Reactors & Power)-14 (IQ+0) [2]; Mechanic/TL12 (Shuttlecraft)-14 (IQ+0) [2]; Mechanic/TL12 (Warp Drive)-14 (IQ+0) [2]; Navigation/TL10 (Space)-13 (IQ-1) [1]; Physics/TL10-11 (IQ-3) [1]; Piloting/TL12 (Shuttlecraft)-12 (DX-1) [1]; Research/TL10-13 (IQ-1) [1]; Savoir-Faire (Military)-14 (IQ+0) [1]; Shiphandling/TL12 (Starship (Warp Powered))-12 (IQ-2) [1]; Spacer/TL10-14 (IQ+0) [1]; Strategy (Space)-12 (IQ-2) [1]; Survival (Woodlands)-13 (Per-1) [1]; Tactics-12 (IQ-2) [1]; Vacc Suit/TL10-12 (DX-1) [1].
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[IC]

(Screen to Lt. Wilker):

"BRIEFING COMMENCES...As of 0800H-07July-Y173, your leave is hereby terminated. This briefing is classified top secret, you are accordingly subject to the applicable Starfleet Intelligence (SFI) regulations on confidentiality.

As you are aware, there are indications that the Romulan Star Empire (RSE) has joined with the Klingon Empire (KE) in its military operations against the UFP. All Sol System-based Prime Teams (PTs) and recent Prime Central Initial Team Training graduates such as yourself, currently on leave, have been recalled to active duty status. You will be assigned to a new PT, the members of which will be drawn from among the qualified Starfleet officers and personnel responding to this current call-up.

With the escalation of KE-UFP hostilities and the activation of the KE-RSE military alliance, SFI is concerned over the continuing viability of its sentient intelligence (SENTINT) collection operations in Klinshai. A highly-placed SFI asset, code-named CARDINAL, has been instructed to escape to the safety of UFP territory.

Your PT will be assigned the task of insertion into the KE system where CARDINAL will be waiting, your team will extract the subject to safety.

After your team orientation and special equipment training by SFI "Q" Branch, your PT will be conveyed by a combination of civilian and fleet transport to the UFP-KE frontier, where you will join with your insertion task force.

While stealth and guile are paramount to the success of the mission, it is entirely possible that you and your team will encounter KE armed opposition - surface, atmospheric and space-borne. The members of your PT will therefore need expertise in a wide range of skills and disciplines.

You are now instructed to report to SFHQ Transient Officers' Quarters, and to await further orders. END OF BRIEFING..."

[OOC]

Note: the time conventions in this campaign to be used are Earth GMT, and the current date (July 7 onwards) and Y173. This is pending the official format to be prescribed by ADB. Starfleet "Officialese" will be translated into layman's terms, again, pending ADB prescriptions. Players are recent Prime Central graduates.

Last edited by domingojs23 on Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[OOC]

If you guys and gals don't mind, I will be making running commentaries along the way ! Ok, I'm ripping off Tom Clancy's "Cardinal of the Kremlin" plotline, but the adventure will have its own original twists and turns.

I thank Eric profusely for taking the plunge and submitting the first PC. However, I see that Traveller has one great advantage over Gurps. Traveller character generation has an extensive background career, education and training element. In fact, Traveller char-gen is so extensive and involved it can even be considered as a form of solo gaming ! I look forward to this in PD-MGT. In the mean time, I encourage PC's to fill in some details of their background history. Also, I will start drawing up an outline of Starfleet education and training courses and programs (based loosely on current Earth Naval and Marine systems), pending PD Federation !
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: OOC: Lt. Riley Wilker Reply with quote

[OOC]

I will submit a story of his career (and have planned to). Just wanted to get the character up. Look for the write up later. He's more the Engineer guy.
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/OOC

domingojs23 wrote:
[OOC]
Also, I will start drawing up an outline of Starfleet education and training courses and programs (based loosely on current Earth Naval and Marine systems), pending PD Federation !

GURPS Prime Directive 4e Page 57-58 covers this doesn't it?

The guy I am rolling up is a Alpha-Centauran Male (24Points) with a Helm/Pilot Slant. I intend to give him the Federation Marine Boot Camp (27 Points) followed by Star Fleet Academy (27 Points). For Profesional Certs was going to use the Helm/Navigation Guide and the Special Forces Training.

Naturally he is not comfortable around females =)

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[OOC]

Dal Downing wrote:
/OOC

domingojs23 wrote:
[OOC]
Also, I will start drawing up an outline of Starfleet education and training courses and programs (based loosely on current Earth Naval and Marine systems), pending PD Federation !

GURPS Prime Directive 4e Page 57-58 covers this doesn't it?

Dear Dal,

Thanks ! To clarify, I plan to elaborate on the basic and academy templates and professional certifications as you cited which appear in PD Gurps. For example, the Prime Central training entity is mentioned but it is not really specified what training is conducted, but I guess it is safe to assume that one would earn professional certifications such as special forces training. Also, there are the various advanced officer training schools. I also meant to say that some kind of prior service generator would be helpful to do, outlining previous assignments, like in Traveller.

We could contribute anecdotes and side info (customs / traditions) about the various institutions. For example, we can flesh out Prime Central. Is is something like Ft. Benning, Camp Lejeune, BUD/S, Parris Island, CTCRM Lympstone, etc..... ?

Looking forward to seeing more of your PC !

Gary
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Wilker's Story Reply with quote

OOC: Here is the FIXED background story for Riley Wilker:

Lt. Riley Wilker

Wilker grew up in Miami, Florida. His father, part of the merchant marines, died in a pirate attack when he was an infant. His mother raised him and his older brother, Donald. Donald, six years older than Riley, worked hard to be the man of the house and was a real inspiration to his little brother.
Riley was never a good student, not stupid, in fact, he scored very well on aptitude tests. Instead, he was bored until he discovered the auto-shop class at school. He joined and soon was overhauling (and hot rodding) hovercars and airbikes. After school, he got a job as a mechanic at the local garage and was soon head mechanic.

Donald got married and gave birth to twins. Remembering the death of his father at the hands of pirates, and seeing a Federation surrounded by danger (especially spurred on by the destruction of the USS Ares in Y168, he joined Star Fleet in order to keep the Federation safe for his nephew and niece, and maybe let them grow up in a cosmos without war. It was his way to repay his brother for raising him.

His knack for engineering was noted in the Academy. He graduated and served in the engineering crew of the USS Crecy, an NCD, working to clear Lyrans from Kzinti space during Operation Wedge. During this period, the ship was damaged and he single-handedly rescued four crewmen from death in engineering. He received the Federation Lifesaving Medal. During this event he was injured, and has scars on the left side of his abdomen and left arm from radiation exposure. Since then he was developed a nervous tick, constantly wringing his hands together.

In Y172, he was assigned as a Jr Lt. to the engineering staff of the USS Los Angeles. During the border conflicts with the Klingons, he was assigned to a prime team as an emergency replacement for one of their personnel. The mission was a success, managing to destroy a series of Klingon communication relays. From this, Riley was sent to Prime Team training and now is on standby for action whenever needed.

Last edited by ericphillips on Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[OOC]

Eric, great job on Riley's background history. Just one thing though, please take note of the Y173 setting of the campaign. I note that Riley had a Y178 PT assignment, hopefully it is not a continuity conflict.

Also, I may ask you to roll up some NPCs to round out the PT, but I will give you the paramaters.

Cheers,

Gary
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

domingojs23 wrote:
[OOC]

Eric, great job on Riley's background history. Just one thing though, please take note of the Y173 setting of the campaign. I note that Riley had a Y178 PT assignment, hopefully it is not a continuity conflict.

Also, I may ask you to roll up some NPCs to round out the PT, but I will give you the paramaters.

Cheers,

Gary

I'll adjust it, now that I know the year. Hey people! Where are the characters??
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/OOC Ok here it is look it over and tell me what you want changed.

Name: Captian (O3 Star Fleet Marines) Treven Trenssen
Race: Alpha-Centauran (Male)

Attributes [90]
ST 11 (ST includes +1 from 'Alpha-Centaurans (Male)')
DX 13 [40] (DX includes +1 from 'Alpha-Centaurans (Male)')
IQ 12 [40]
HT 11 [10]

Damage 1d-1/1d+1

Basic Speed 6
Basic Move 6

Basic Lift 24
Fright Check 2 (includes +2 from 'Fearlessness')
Ground Move 6
Hearing 12
Perception 12
Size Modifier 0
Taste/Smell 12
Tech Level 12
Touch 12
Vision 12
Water Move 1.2
Will 10 (includes -2 from 'Alpha-Centaurans (Male)')

Advantages [102]
3D Spatial Sense [10]
Ally (150% of starting points) (9 or less) [10]
Alpha-Centauran (Native) [0]
Fearlessness (2) [4]
Galatic (Native) (Native Language) [0]
Klingon (Native) [6]
Klingon (Alien Culture) [2]
Orion [1]
Orion (Spoken) (Accented) [2]
Rank (Military) (3) [15]
Resistant (Disease) (Occasional) (+3) [3]
Seniority (1) [0]
Seniority (1) [0]
Social Regard (Respected) (3) [15]
Very Fit [15]

Perks [2]
Luck (Just a touch of luck.) [1]
No Hangover [1]

Disadvantages [-90]
Code of Honor (Star Fleet) [-10]
Code of Honor (Star Fleet Marines) [-10]
Duty (Star Fleet Marines) (15 or less (almost always)) [-15]
Enemy (One Person) (More powerful than the PC) (9 or less) [-20]
Overconfidence (12 or less) [-5]
Sense of Duty (Alpha-Centauran) (Large Group) [-10]
Sense of Duty (Federation) (Large Group) [-10]
Wealth (Struggling) [-10]

Quirks [-4]
_Unused Quirk 3 [-1]
_Unused Quirk 4 [-1]
Flight Jacket (Will always have a Flight Jacket of some kind on or near him when not on duty.) [-1]
Humble [-1*]
Sunglasses (Always wearing or looking for a pair of Shades.) [-1]
* = item is owned by another, point value is included in the other item.

Packages [0]
Alpha-Centaurans (Male) [19]
Federation Marine Boot Camp [0]
Helm/Navigation [0]
Star Fleet Academy [0]

Skills [100]
Administration IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1], Armoury/TL12 (Small Arms) IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1], Astronomy/TL12 IQ/H - IQ+3 15 [16], Beam Weapons/TL12 (Pistol) DX/E - DX+2 15 [4], Beam Weapons/TL12 (Rifle) DX/E - DX+2 15 [4]
Camouflage IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1], Climbing DX/A - DX+0 13 [2]
Computer Operation/TL12 IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1], Computer Programming/TL12 IQ/H - IQ-2 10 [1], Diplomacy IQ/H - IQ-2 10 [1], Electronics Operation/TL12 (Communications) IQ/A - IQ+0 12 [2], Electronics Operation/TL12 (Sensors) IQ/A - IQ+3 15 [12], Electronics Operation (Transporter) IQ/A - IQ+0 12 [2], Electronics Operation (Tricorder) IQ/A - IQ+0 12 [2], Electronics Repair/TL12 (Sensors) IQ/A - IQ+1 13 [4], Engineer/TL12 (Electronics) IQ/H - IQ-1 11 [2], Expert Skill (Operations (Space)) IQ/H - IQ-1 11 [2]
Expert Skill (Xenology) IQ/H - IQ-2 10 [1], First Aid/TL12 IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1], Free Fall DX/A - DX+1 14 [1] (includes: +2 from '3D Spatial Sense'), Gunner/TL12 (Beams) DX/E - DX+0 13 [1], History (Recent Federation) IQ/H - IQ-2 10 [1], Judo DX/H - DX-2 11 [1], Karate DX/H - DX-2 11 [1], Knife DX/E - DX+0 13 [1], Law (Federation Military) IQ/H - IQ-2 10 [1], Leadership IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1], Mathematics/TL12 (Applied) IQ/H - IQ-2 10 [1], Mechanic/TL12 (Shuttlecraft) IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1], Navigation/TL12 (Space) IQ/A - IQ+3 15 [3] (includes: +2 from '3D Spatial Sense'), Parachuting/TL12 DX/E - DX+0 13 [1], Physics/TL12 IQ/VH - IQ-3 9 [1], Piloting/TL12 (Low Performance Space Craft) DX/A - DX+0 13 [1] (includes: +1 from '3D Spatial Sense'), Piloting/TL12 (Shuttlecraft) DX/A - DX+3 16 [8](includes: +1 from '3D Spatial Sense'), Research/TL12 IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1], Running HT/A - HT+0 11 [2], Savoir-Faire (Military) IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1], Shiphandling/TL12 (Starship (Warp Powered)) IQ/H - IQ-2 10 [1], Spacer/TL12 IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1]
Stealth DX/A - DX-1 12 [1], Strategy (Space) IQ/H - IQ-2 10 [1], Survival (Plains) Per/A - Per-1 11 [1], Survival (Woodlands) Per/A - Per-1 11 [1]
Swimming HT/E - HT+0 11 [1], Tactics IQ/H - IQ-2 10 [1], Throwing DX/A - DX-1 12 [1], Tonfa DX/A - DX-1 12 [1], Vacc Suit/TL12 DX/A - DX-1 12 [1], Vacc Suit/TL12 DX/A - DX-1 12 [1]

Stats [90] Ads [102] Disads [-90] Quirks [-4] Skills [100] = Total [200]

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[OOC]

Dear Dal,

Great job on Captain Trenssen ! Obviously he would be more on the "muscle" aspect of the operation. Please give me a brief write-up on his personal history.

Cheers,

Gary
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[OOC]

Eric and Dal

As only you two guys have joined the campaign so far, we will need to round off the PT with NPCs. Eric, kindly draw up two junior officer / NCO engineering officers, 175 pts each, Dal please draw up two junior officer / NCO marines, also 175 pts each. Short bios on each NPC too please.
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I have some adjustments to my history as well. I will have this done by tomorrow afternoon (Wednesday). Looking forward to it.

BTW: Can you give an example of what you expect our posts to be like? Do you want a narration (like a book), or just orders and what you say, or what?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: