Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PHOT or PH-1? Which should I repair?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: PHOT or PH-1? Which should I repair? Reply with quote

As a FED, if you have a choice of repairng a PHOT or PH-1, which do you pick. Both are main weapons. The PH-1 fires every turn, and can match an non-ovl PHOT, or even beat it, over two turns. Cost is half a PHOT to fire twice. But the sweetness of overloading a PHOT can be... intoxicating.

So, which do you repair, and what circumstances make you choose the other instgead?
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how many other photons you have remaining. If you still carry nough photon "crunch power", then the Ph-1 is the better choice, for it's quick relaod and Seeking weapon defense. If not, It can be tricky to decide, it'll be based on the condition of the enemy. How much damage do you need to inflict? is the question you should ask yourself.

I hope this helps Smile
DirkSJ
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
Depends how many other photons you have remaining. If you still carry nough photon "crunch power", then the Ph-1 is the better choice, for it's quick relaod and Seeking weapon defense. If not, It can be tricky to decide, it'll be based on the condition of the enemy. How much damage do you need to inflict? is the question you should ask yourself.

I hope this helps Smile

Also how many other phasers do you have? Do they have drones? How much power do you have compared to how many guns you have? How is their power situation?

Overall I suspect the phaser is usually a better choice. If you have power trouble you simply can't afford the photon. If you have piles of power and few guns you can close to ranges where the phaser is more efficient than the photon. Repairing the photon also runs the risk of not getting to fire as you could get in a fire fight the turn after repair.

If they also are swimming in power and have long range weapons or ESGs and they don't have drones then the photon starts looking better but I still think the phaser comes out on top in most cases.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no "hard and fast" way to answer this question.

As with most other questions, the answer is dependent on the tactical situation.
I think pc and 'elf are essemntially correct though.
In most instances, the phaser would be the better choice. It can fire the turn after being repaired... and the next turn... and the next - and do it for only 1 energy point a turn.
The photon OTOH is not going to fire until the second turn after repair.
Sure, it has "crunch" power... especially when teamed with other PHOTs, but will you get a chance to use it as such? If you're going to repair it this turn, pump 2 points into it to pre-load next turn - then lose it to additional damage before it can fire... you've just created a big energy/repair point sink.

Now for the other side of the arguement. Against Andromedans - this whole debate may be thrown out the window.
Our playtesting showed the level of damage required to have a lasting effect on the larger Andro ships. In this case, I'd lean more towards the PHOT for it's ability to deliver a large amount of damge from a greater range.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could also depend on firing arcs and immediate need. If the two damaged weapons have different firing arcs, look ahead to imagine the positions of the ships when you'll need to fire again and see which weapon would be able to fire.

Perhaps that is too obvious, but it hadn't been mentioned yet.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Alex Knight
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own sentiment is also the likelihood of the weapon being destroyed again. Phasers are more susceptible to damage than the photon. But I think I would also go with PH-1, simply because it has more utility than the PHOT.
rulesjd
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. Answers essentially reflect the lack of specificity of the question which is what ship are you using, who is your opponent and what damage have you already taken.

In SFB, the answers were different based on power curves and differential in repair costs. In FC, all ships have better power curves, especially after the first turn, and all weapons cost the same to repair.

So, lets assume you are flying a Fed CA against your classic opponent, the Klingon D7. You'll probably try to deliver 4 overloaded eggs and may not get better than range 8. Many Feds will, on subsequent turns, only arm 3 photons, assuming they will lose one to damage and conserving energy for maneuver. The arguement for repairing a photon here is that you will protect your remaining 3 armed photons and you should only lose one per volley. Given that you can accept phaser hits on phaser-3's and non facing phaser-1's, this isn't a good plan.

Depending on how the fight is going, including how well the Klingon is maneuvering to avoid your FA at ranges less than 8 and using drones, you may need more ph-1s. They will take more hits on the DAC and can be used immediately. In a mid to late scenario, depending on your own damage state, you may be willing to drop down to arming only 2 photons and the highly efficient phasers become even more important to keep fixing.

So, in general, I will likely prioritize a photon repair in early game and probably switch to phasers in the mid to late game.
Hod K'el
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Good question. Answers essentially reflect the lack of specificity of the question which is what ship are you using, who is your opponent and what damage have you already taken."

I concur, but I also contend that in every case, except Andromedans, repair the phaser-1 first as it can be used offensively and defensively, thus giving you more options on the battlefield specific to surviving.

With Andromedans, you have to have the 'crunch' power from those photons.
Life is not victory;
Death is not defeat!
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the ph-1 produces more bang for the buck, energy-wise.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughts. Mostly, Ill look to repair the PH-1, unless I have a lot of maneuvering time.
Hod K'el
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thinking out load here, but are you asking this in regard to your current PBEM game?
Life is not victory;
Death is not defeat!
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, just general random thoughts. I like to see what people think, maybe get some new perspectives.

In the PBEM we have not even gotten close enough to shoot.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The carnage in our PBEM game is yet to begin! Soon though I hope.
DirkSJ
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terryoc wrote:
The carnage in our PBEM game is yet to begin! Soon though I hope.

You can always fire now Razz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: