Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Omega Conversion Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terryoc wrote:
The Main Era of Aloha Octant FC ....

Man, one typo and they never let you forget. Shhheeeeeesh!
Rick Smith
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terryoc wrote:
The Main Era of Aloha Octant FC doesn't really have a "timeline focus". It's just the fully-refitted version of every ship. The earlier designs fly alongside the later ones, with any historical notes in the ship descriptions. Same with the Middle Years, it's the fully refitted version as at the end of the MY period. Do the same with Omega.

I'm glad you said this, Terry. I had tried to dissuade "timeline" thinking on page 13 of this thread. I really think that it just complicates things. Let's just figure out 2 - 3 very cool factions that speak volumes about the Octant and move on to hammering out the rules for these ships. Once they're done, we can worry about what's next or ponder future "releases".

PS - Eric...it was just such a good one. It'll be hard to forget. Smile

UPFY
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* Makes mental note to ask SVC when we can do PD Aloha .... *
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean wrote:
* Makes mental note to ask SVC when we can do PD Aloha .... *

I'll volunteer to go do the field research. Cool
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Sits in the shade of a Chlorophon on the beach drinking Romulan Ale from a coconut watching Orion slavegirls in grass skirts dance the hula*

Way ahead of you, Tony.
Rick Smith
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold! Sign me up.

UPFY
Rick Smith
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! Nice work, Eric. Like your avatar!

UPFY
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Avatar is HILARIOUS! It's your best one yet eric! Very Happy
Carthaginian
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how those P'lyn-Esian ships armed... Poi Streams?
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fleets and ships I would suggest for playtest purposes (along with the likes of the CLA and GLB, of course) could be:

Męsron - CA, DD
Trobrin - CA, FFL
Probr - CA, DD

All six ships use the three systems of note for their respective empires (Phaser-Ws/TGs/TMs, Phaser-Rs/IBs/ITs, and Phaser-Qs/HEATs/TAs respectively) and should be good starting points of comparison.

In terms of playtest opponents, the CLA would be a good example (since all it needs are the light photon rules, which are pretty self-explanatory), as might the pre-TM Throne; the GLB; and an odd Python or Conquistador-Cobra duo.

Oh, and I'd recommend playtesting the two Męsron ships with the standard missiles first; best to make sure they work before we see about the optional upgrades. (The post-TM Throne should probably wait until we see how playtest Alliance ships handle their missiles.)
pauls
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good points on timeline. I'll hang up my hangs ups Smile

One issue is of course that we don't really have "modern" designs for the any/may of the Omegan races. There are mentions that they will get "warp 30" ships but Omegan Modules in SFB haven't got so far as that.

Mind you for FC that is much less important. Most omegans will struggle in terms power incomparison to many alpha ships. And we have no little choice as I suspect SVC would baulk at new/refitted versions of current ships.

Enough Blather.

Sure I'll happily do some playtest of Trobin and Maesron verses each other and against some alpha types. I'm on holidays (sadly not to a to the ohola sector) for the next week. If perhaps Nerroth can put the FC version of the rules together for those two races so we can download them in that time I'll have a go.

It should only be a case of fine tunning the wording as these two races work quite well in SFB both against each other and against Alphan ships.

One point I did mean to amke many moons ago. The Maesron missiles need to be a whole number of points each o build in FC no fractions please.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that to playtest the ships Gary suggests, you will need to use the SFB SSDs as squadron scale ships. We should not have FC-style ship cards for more than one ship per empire (as outlined by Steve).

Also, Gary's first draft of the various rules should already be in this thread somewhere.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus any Ship Cards would have to be sent to SVC for pre-approval, in any case.

I'll try to tidy up the Phaser-Q rules, and get the HEATs and TAs drafted up; in the meantime, the Męsron and Trobrin should be good to go.

(The one thing I am most concerned about for now is the damage levels for the ITs; given the way the weapon degrades in SFB, and how it can't hit at range zero, I had given each arming level the highest potential damage it can do per impulse. If that needs to be adjusted down, let me know.)
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the Probr delay; I'll try to get to it eventually.

In the meantime, I was looking at the way the B2 stuff is being made available; with a separate rule and scenario pack alongside each pack of ships.

In an Omega context, could the required weapon cards perhaps be offered in the same file as the rules and such; leaving more room free in the Ship Card files for actual ships?

(One way I'd like to see it could be a 'New Beginnings' rule pack akin to B2 Pack G, alongside a couple of launch-day Ship Card packs to go alongside it.)
Rick Smith
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things I noticed while constructing the Męsron CA card and should probably be addressed rules-wise:

1. The power allocation to the Tachyon Guns allows for almost too much flexibility for Federation Commander. It also has the added unfortunate problem of making a mess of the ship card layout. Allowing the power to be allocated between 1 and 7 points for a preload, and then - on the next turn - again, between 1 and 7 points for a load creates a very stretched out column of boxes.

Can I suggest that it is simplified to something very similar to the Photon Torpedo arming? This may make things much more streamlined and follows the "make it easy" FedCom mantra.

2. As Paul suggested earlier, the missile upgrade costs are in fractions. I have rounded them up: Standard = free, M +3.25 becomes +3, T +4.5 becomes +5, L +5.75 becomes +6.

I've made the alterations to the ship card. If it's decided that this was a bad move, it can be changed.

UPFY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 17 of 20

Jump to: