Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Initial observations on web
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mahatmamanic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I don't understand why it would be bad to try and catch an opponnt in a web if he is moving slowly (so that you could accomplish it.) I'm not saying that it will be common to actually catch him in a web, since he will most certainly be moving fast if he knows what's good for him, but it seems like it validly is a big nasty threat to have.

Doesn't that threat really force the opponent to move fast, which in turn allows the NT to use his web in different ways rather than trying to catch the other ship?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mahatmamanic wrote:
I guess I don't understand why it would be bad to try and catch an opponnt in a web if he is moving slowly (so that you could accomplish it.) I'm not saying that it will be common to actually catch him in a web, since he will most certainly be moving fast if he knows what's good for him, but it seems like it validly is a big nasty threat to have.

Doesn't that threat really force the opponent to move fast, which in turn allows the NT to use his web in different ways rather than trying to catch the other ship?

It's not necessarily bad to catch your opponent in a web, but in a one-on-one battle in open space he has to make so many mistakes to allow that to happen that you already have a significant advantage.

Mike is correct. In a duel, the WC should be used to control your opponents movement and to limit his firing opportunities while enhancing yours. Correctly used, you'll almost never be hit by a seeking weapon and will only take heavy weapons fire while at longer ranges.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mahatmamanic wrote:
I guess I don't understand why it would be bad to try and catch an opponnt in a web if he is moving slowly (so that you could accomplish it.)

I am not saying it is a bad thing, per se, but rather a bad focus.

First, if the enemy is moving with at least a base speed of 8, you cannot catch him with a single web strand unless he is out of power or he voluntarily gets caught. FC ships are just too maneuverable.

Second, who is to say you even want to catch him? You are going to be much better off using the web to fend off seeking weapons, or using it as a firewall. And if he is going slow, so much the better. Instead of trying to catch him, put the strand out in front so he won't get caught. This gives you the ability to close without suffering return fire.

Heck, do that strategy right, and you might make your opponent intentionally catch himself!

Federation Commander Answer Guy
mahatmamanic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about it last night, and was considering the "optimal" way to lay web in a general situation. I'm pretty interested in playing more of the NT to experiment with it, so tell me what you think.

I was thinking that, in the situation where the NT and an enemy are on approach, the best thing to do might be to throw a 5 hex web out between you, at range 9-10, say 4 hexes in front of the opponent. If it looks like he will try to bull through the web then you as the NT turn off and come around the other side of the web, to get either a point-blank shot at his butt or to phaser him through the web as you drive around him. If however he turns off, rather than sticking in the web, you just head straight through the web, and bang you're on his tail. Does that make any sense?

As far as using the web to catch seeking weapons, it is pretty tempting Wink Many moons ago though I remember one of my SFB buddies who played NT telling me that using web defensively is a losing proposition. I guess that is why I was thinking it would be a bad idea to use the web for catching seeking weapons (yes, through second-hand anecdotal advice about another game system Razz)

Is FC a sufficiently different game that the "wise" use of web has changed, or was he off base with his recommendations in the long long ago?
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a quick-and-dirty solo check of a Tholian base assault last night. Forget the name, it's the one with 10 Klingons assaulting a Tholian BS. The Tholians have a Base Station, 3x Patrol Corvettes, a Heavy Cruiser, a Web Tender, and two small freighters. I found that if the base used its phaser-4s to knock down the front shields of opposing ships, and the Tholian CAs and PCs (and even the WT and freighters) used their phasers through the down shields, they could just about cripple 3 ships/turn. (Base using 2 phaser-4s each on 3 ships). I programmed the Klingons to charge in.

Turn 1: Klinks hit the outer ring of Web. Tholians cripple 3xF5 badly enough that they are stuck. Non-base ships are firing from behind middle ring (range 3), base is firing at range 5.

Turn 2: Klinks exit outer ring at Imp 5, Imp 6 hit middle web ring. Base is now at range 3 (best range for phaser-4s), knocks down shields of D7C, D7, D6 and subsequent phaser fire cripples them.

Beginning turn 3: Klingons still stuck in middle web ring. Base & defenders shoot many weapons off D5 and two of the three E4s. Mid turn 3, 3 xE4 and 1 x D5 enter final web ring and damage the base, but are further damaged by the heavy weapons of the base and CA. Suicide shuttles finish them off.

So a banzai charge by the Klingons narrowly fails. With a few more ships, they could probably bring it off & kill the base, while only suffering cripples. I'm not sure if pulling ships through the web will help, since you have to be "stationary" to do it. If that means "stopped", then you're giving the Tholians more firing opportunities. Pulling your ships from the middle ring to the inner ring might work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: