Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Future of SFB
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Czuhars
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Future of SFB Reply with quote

I'm recently getting back into SFB after a 20 year or so hiatus. Lots to catch up on.

In the meantime, I'm learning about Federation Commander and the other products from ADB. I understand that they can't bank on just one product line and there's many good reasons for expanding the catalog. If I were coming into SF Universe from scratch, I think I'd probably start with FC.

But has anyone heard about the future of SFB? I hate to be a purist and shun FC out of pure stubborness. I understand the benefits of each new game, but I'd hate to think that SFB would just fade into the night in the shadow of other products.

I hope there is a resurgence in new, younger gamers to continue to breathe life in the industry. A visit to my local game shop seems to show that (although most players there seem to favor "warhammer" and other brands - I hope it's different elsewhere).

Altogether though, I wish ADB a LONG and prosperous future, and I look forward to being a loyal customer for years to come.
Krellex
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want an easier way to get others started with the SFU, go with FedCom. You can usually teach people to play and finish their first game within a couple hours. The hook is usually Trek, and sometimes space combat...

And my local game store no longer carries ADB items, you have to special order them. They *do* have three FULL aisles loaded with Warhammer stuff, however. They cringed the last time I asked if myself and some friends could demo FedCom in their shop...
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Czuhars, SFB is alive and well. R12 just came out and the online tournaments are quite active.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a time when I feared SFB would fade away, but FC has in fact created a whole new generation of SFB players, and SFB sales are stronger now than they were in 2005. We do new SFB products every year, we have SFB tournaments running on line and at Origins, and about a third of every Captain's Log is SFB stuff. So its still moving along.
Alex Knight
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that my FLGS has been getting in more SFB material lately. (The fact that I'm the one who orders the gaming products there has absolutely *nothing* to do with that. ::whistles:Smile

That said, I know that I'm looking (a month or two down the road) at running a Starship Combat Demo day. Anyone know of an easy way to demo SFB? I'd like to have that demoed along with FC.
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the information here: http://www.starfleetgames.com/rangers/whydemo.htm and here: http://www.starfleetgames.com/rangers/training.htm
Czuhars
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, I'm happy to hear that. I watched some of the product demos you have on YouTube. One of those was for FedCom. After watching it, I'm actually very interested in giving it a try. I can understand how it would draw new gamers in and give them the opportunity to later explore SFB.
I know you guys have a firm grasp on your products. I have no doubts that SFB will be around for a loooooong time.

Thanks
Alex Knight
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean wrote:
Try the information here: http://www.starfleetgames.com/rangers/whydemo.htm and here: http://www.starfleetgames.com/rangers/training.htm

Woo! Thanks! I'll have to adapt Ken's 3 session lesson into one session.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Czuhars wrote:
Steve, I'm happy to hear that. I watched some of the product demos you have on YouTube. One of those was for FedCom. After watching it, I'm actually very interested in giving it a try.

Then download and try out First Missions.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Jeffr0
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krellex wrote:
And my local game store no longer carries ADB items, you have to special order them. They *do* have three FULL aisles loaded with Warhammer stuff, however. They cringed the last time I asked if myself and some friends could demo FedCom in their shop...

I got positive feedback from a store where I demoed Romulan Armada-- they were of the opinion that a variety of demos keeps people coming back *into the store* regularly even if they don't go crazy buying the particular game being shown off. That was a particularly cool game store, though-- but places that focus on just Magic and Warhammer aren't really "friendly local game stores" by my definition.

I'm glad to hear that SFB sales are *growing*. Nice... and surprising, too. The hardcore SFU fans love SFB the best, but the simpler games are great when you want to get someone up to speed on blowing up starships quickly. SFB is also the place that gets attention first when pushing out into new game concepts.
Krellex
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I see the writing on the wall with my FLGS, because, as much game stuff as they have (none of it from ADB), 7/8ths of their store is remote control stuff, trains, models and rockets. And the ceiling is burdened with every type of model aircraft known to man. In fact, I'm not so sure they *have* a ceiling, I've never seen it! Razz

I guess the $350 and up rc aircraft keep them in business.... In this economy I don't get how they stay afloat.
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krellex wrote:
...I guess the $350 and up rc aircraft keep them in business.... In this economy I don't get how they stay afloat.

Easy. You get itty-bitty pontoons and put them on the R/C aircraft...
Laughing
Krellex
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
Krellex wrote:
...I guess the $350 and up rc aircraft keep them in business.... In this economy I don't get how they stay afloat.

Easy. You get itty-bitty pontoons and put them on the R/C aircraft...
Laughing

Heh, ya got me there, Scoutdad. Embarassed
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobby store doesn't necessarily mean Game store, seen many Hobby places that only do RC --

Then there are Gaming stores that supply the RC crowd --

Count ourselves lucky when they are in the same building, sometimes not even owned by the same people --
Krellex
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is, these guys used to have every ADB product imaginable. I bought everything from them. This was back in the SFB and F&E days of the late 80's early 90's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: