Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Video of A typical game?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Czuhars
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Video of A typical game? Reply with quote

Here's a weird question: does anyone have video of a group playing a couple of turns of SFB. I've been teaching myself the rules, but it'd like to see some seasoned players in a typical game to make sure I'm doing things right.
There are no groups of players in my area, so I've been searching YouTube without much success.

Just curious. If I'm going to teach new players, I want to make sure I'm confident in the rules.

Thanks
MikeBurke
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do this, don't do anything complicated, just something basic. I mean a fleet action or a campaign might be a little bit too much and overwhelming but a patrol action between a couple of ships to demonstrate the basics would probably work just fine. Show Power allocation, the impulse chart and firing phases, show the damage allocation all in a standard game with no advanced weaponry and no special tactics. Start out simple like pitting a Fed CA against a Klingon D7 before moving on to the other races. using special tactics like the "positron Flywheel," Narrow Salvoes, Scatter packs all might be a little bit too much for the brand new beginner. I would try to say perhaps master the basic set and then Advanced Missions before moving on to the other modules if you are going to roll the tape.

Mike Burke
SFB since '84
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no intention of trying to do this, but that doesn't mean I'd try to stop somebody else. I don't think the medium is suitable for such a project.
Jeffr0
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Video of A typical game? Reply with quote

Czuhars wrote:
Here's a weird question: does anyone have video of a group playing a couple of turns of SFB. I've been teaching myself the rules, but it'd like to see some seasoned players in a typical game to make sure I'm doing things right.
There are no groups of players in my area, so I've been searching YouTube without much success.

Just curious. If I'm going to teach new players, I want to make sure I'm confident in the rules.

Thanks

I could write a script for this-- a CA vs. D7 duel that illustrates some basic tactics and that shows how the Command Cards and Impulse Cards from module A are used to make it easy to run the game.

I could then illustrate the script with photos of the game in progress.

Would that be sufficient for what you need? Alas, I lack the Mad Video Skillz necessary to pull off a real production!
Czuhars
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, just a basic cadet's game showing energy allocation and weapons use. Set up a camera and play a couple of turns.

I'm probably making too much of this. The rules really aren't that freakin' hard after all! There's no substitute for just joining up with some guys and playing, figuring out the rules together.
Millenniumfalsehood
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about doing a video series using the Cadet Handbook as a script. It would illustrate all the concepts of SFB in a way that's accessible to anyone.

"You're a loony."
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfleet Battles Online is what really helped me learn the details of the game. It is free to join as a demo and then watch a few games. We discuss things back and forth in a sort of chat box and you can see many of the things that can be done in an impulse or over a turn break. SFBOL can go a long way towards giving you a good feel for the game. Specifically a tournament battle between two cruisers.

Just a thought. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: