Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Counters? Counters. Counters!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation & Empire
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Counters? Counters. Counters! Reply with quote

A good friend and I started playing "The Wind" every other Sunday back at the end of June. It's his first time to play (after owning the game for some many years) and the first time I've played in about 5 years. We are taking things slowly (works out to about a turn a session!) but I did think it was funny that my Klingons ran out of counters on turn 3! Specifically, I ran out of the D6V and FV counters, both carrier groups and individual ships.

Well, my order for F&E: Reinforcements and my F&E Counter Grab Bag both came in today. I hope that will mean I can get up to the Federation's entry without resorting to my old friends Ship #11 and Ship #12. Smile

Form some of the more experienced players, do you tend to run out of certain ships early or often? If so, which ones?

Thanks
jmt

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming from one of the charter members of Cardboard Anonymous - you still don't have enough. Confused

I have slightly more than 30,000 counters now (4 each of the boxed set, +4 each of the expanded editions of each additional module, + multiple reinforcement packs and F&E counter grab bags... and I still run out of the common ships: Fed NCLs, Klingon D5's, Kzinti CVs, etc...

Mike F.E.A.R. Curtis (who's also part of our gaming group) has even more... he's sitting at between 50 and 60K counters. He can do one game w/o running out, but if he supplies counters for two games simultaneously... he runs short on the more common ships.

Just buy a few more counter sheets... and a few more... and a few more... Wink
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...

So why am I attracted to such counter rich games - F&E, ASL, Europa...

Okay - so I'll order more counters... when I run out again (and the grab bag is such a DEAL!)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi... My name is Tony and I'm addicted to cardboard.
Welcome, and have a seat...
Sweeper
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, SVC wasn't joking when he said you long time F&Eers rate your counters by the pound. Very Happy
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehe. I carry my F&E counters in a 45 gallon, Rubbermaid tote. It is almost all I can mange to carry it myself.

Mike needs 3 totes (each smaller less than 45 gallons). He can't carry all his - st least not at one time.
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they're sorted - though the image of digging through a 45-gallon tub looking for a D5S is humorous.....

Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmt wrote:
I hope they're sorted - though the image of digging through a 45-gallon tub looking for a D5S is humorous.....

hahahaha Shocked

Yes.
They are in multiple plastic organizer bins:

But that is a funny image.
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plano storage bins?

I'm using 3701's - the same ones I use for ASL*. Also, where did you get the Lyran dice I see the box.

(*) It has often been said that the organizing of ASL counters is a hobby within a hobby - as evidenced by the number of discussion threads on counter organization on the various ASL boards. Shocked

Sweeper
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Scoutdad:

Is that a custom die for VBR mixed in with the rest of the dice?
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmt wrote:
Also, where did you get the Lyran dice I see the box.

Those look like the ones Task Force Games made several years ago. THere were one or two designs for each most empires, from what I gather. Sadly, making them is rather expensive and they're no longer available.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmt wrote:
Plano storage bins?

Not Plano brand... but Akron Mills brand. Same layout / size / type, but picked up for significant less cost at my wife's favorite beading hobby store.

jmt wrote:
Also, where did you get the Lyran dice I see the box?

mjw is correct. That's one of the TFG dice from way back when. I think I managed to score 4 or 5 complete sets,so my F&E bos, my SFB box and even my Fed Comm box is loaded with empire specific dice.
That's the main reason I wanted the empire colored VBIR die...

sweeper wrote:
Is that a custom die for VBR mixed in with the rest of the dice?

Chessex had their custom dice maker at Oigins in 2008 or 2007. I was playing Lyrans, so I had a custum VBIR die made up in Lyran colors. I also picked up a Fed and Klingon one.
I intended to get the remining empires the following year, but they've not brought it back when I've been there.
I guess I just need to over them online and get it over with.
krukeshank
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Vassal and James Lowry's F&E module, I no longer run out of counters. Indeed, I have broken my addiction. Wink

When I did collect them, I used clear 35mm film canisters which you could get for free at camera stores (they recycled them otherwise).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation & Empire All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: