Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Last Drone Loaded

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveP.
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Last Drone Loaded Reply with quote

For heavy drone-using empires: There's a lot of planning put into packing as many drones into a wave as possible, so as to overwhelm an enemy's intercepts and start scoring hits. What I'm going to say is going to go against that, but give it a thought...

I've noticed that when defenders have heavy drone waves inbound, they tend to plan their defensive fire and power usage around intercepting those drones- and then (if they're still there) expend the rest of their power and unfired weapons in the offensive fire phase of that same impulse or the next one. Next time you play the Kzinti (or Orion or WYN with drones in the option mounts, or Feds or Klingons with drone cruisers along...) consider holding back a drone launcher or two out of your drone wave. There's a decent chance that your opponent will run himself out of intercepts (either in terms of power or unfired weapons) handling your initial massive volley, and a drone or two launched at the end of that impulse may suddenly become a serious problem for him...
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[plug=shameless]
Also see the Command Note: Volley Vous, Part Deux in CL 33 or 34 for an additional reason to retain a drone or two til the end of the Impulse.
[/plug]
DaveP.
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, sir- I don't have access to those. Did I duplicate one of your Command Notes? If so, I apologise and assure you that I did not intend such.

Last edited by DaveP. on Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No... it by know means duplicated the Command Note. The command not just serves as a related corollary to your tactic... which hsould be written up and submitted.
DaveP.
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I go about doing that, please? I've done some searching on this forum, but either I'm looking right past it or my search terms are wrong.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the "tactics" thread and read those posts... most are jst ongoing discussions, but in several... the first post is a write of a potential Commnad Note and then the rest ofthe posts are discussions of it's validity.

This one:
http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=851
by Patrick Doyle is particularly good.

and another example:
http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1252&start=0

I hope this gives you the info you're looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: