Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just bought my Romulan Armada download
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starmada and Klingon Armada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan Ibekwe
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Kast wrote;

Quote:
The Romulan KR has 46 engine boxes and 87 total. The Klingon D6 has 40 and 89, respectively.

Er, what? I thought both ships have 30 warp, 5 impulse and 2 APR for a total of 37.

(The boom emergency impulse engine on the D6 becomes an APR on the KR since Romulan officers don't believe in running off and abandoning their crew when things go pear-shaped.

They blow up the whole ship instead).

Quote:

Quote:
In SFB the various ship types are usually balanced against each other quite closely (oddballs such as the Tholians and the WYN aside).

I made the decision not to try to match SFB/FC point values when converting; more important was to ensure each weapon/system did something comparable to its SFU incarnation, and hopefully the points would work out closely. As it is, they are nearly perfect, but there are some anomalies.

A minor misunderstanding. I didn't mean 'balanced' in terms of points value, I meant 'balanced' tactically. In the SFU the Fed DN and the C8/9 are relatively well matched against each other; in Starmada, that extra one point of forward shield halves the effectiveness of fire against the DN, compared with the Klingon ships. That's one heck of a 'rounding factor'.
mj12games
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Ibekwe wrote:
Quote:
The Romulan KR has 46 engine boxes and 87 total. The Klingon D6 has 40 and 89, respectively.

Er, what? I thought both ships have 30 warp, 5 impulse and 2 APR for a total of 37.

All of my numbers are based on FC squadron scale.

Quote:
in Starmada, that extra one point of forward shield halves the effectiveness of fire against the DN, compared with the Klingon ships. That's one heck of a 'rounding factor'.

True enough. But I see it as more of a tactical issue than a game balance one -- i.e. don't attack the Fed DN head-on... Smile (Seriously, in a fleet-level game like Starmada, having an additional shield point in the forward hexside is not as big of an advantage as it would be in a duel.)

I've been strictly objective in my conversions, for a couple reasons:

1) SVC made it clear it was important that SFU ships should retain their relative sizes and keep all their "stuff".

2) I don't have a lot of experience with SFB/FC and so I am not comfortable making subjective decisions on which ships should get an extra shield or engine point here and there.

mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mj12games wrote:
Dan Ibekwe wrote:
Quote:

All of my numbers are based on FC squadron scale.

Then you aren't talking about the ships you think you are.

The D6 and the KR both have 30 warp, 4 impulse, and 2 reactor in the rear hull, and either an impulse (D6) or reactor (KR) in the boom. That is 37 total power. (The KR does have an extra battery, however. The KR has 4; the D6 has 3.)

Federation Commander Answer Guy
mj12games
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Then you aren't talking about the ships you think you are.

I'm counting batteries in "total power" for the Starmada conversions.

And I was looking at the ships I thought I was looking at... but for some reason my eyes saw "41" for total power on the KR but my brain read "46". Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starmada and Klingon Armada All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: