Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BGM meets STL Fed Comm
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: BGM meets STL Fed Comm Reply with quote

As has been hyped on the forum and the BBS for a while now, the St. Louis Federation Commander group was planning a Trek! [no pun intended] to Middle Tennessee to play Fed Comm.

On August 28th, the deal was done!
4 guys (Stephen, Rick, Josh, and Jim) drove down to meet us for a day of gaming... SFU style. We had a total of 19 people in a nd out of the game room on Saturday and as many as 14 all together at one time.

The order of the day was 300 point fleets in a series of one vs one duels.
Much mayhem ensued, many ships were blown up, copius quantities of chips and carbonated beverages were consumed and a great time was had by all.

Next time, we pack up and head to St Louis for the rematch.
He's two photos... more will be posted to photobucket later this evening:

For all ther rest of you out there within driving distance of middle TN, the game room is always open and anyone is invited to play.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As many cameras and phones with cameras as were present for the event - I'm sure more photos will be posted here in short order.
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a great time!

Thanks for having us down.

I think we fit yet another set or two of maps on that big table after the above photos were shot by turning all of the maps lengthwise (which works fine for the duel-like scenario we were all playing). I think that would have made 5 or 6 games going on the big table and one more on the corner desk. We were having fun trying to find out how many Fed Comm games we could simultaneouly jam into Tony's normally spacious gaming room!

For those interested in what we were all specifically playing, we were non-competitively playing a stripped down version of the Origins Tournament Scenario (300 points instead of 450 and no Dreadnoughts). I saw Feds, Klingons, Kzinti, Tholians, Orions, ISC and Vudar being played at various times. Most games were ending well within three hours. I saw no Romulans, but Mike Curtis (F.E.A.R.) almost gave the Gorns a try against my pair of Fed CS. Unfortunately, apparently the point totals for the existing laminated cards for the Gorn are hard to make work well with a 300 point limit. So, he instead went with a Kzinti NCA and NCC, which soundly beat my pair of Fed CS.

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/

Last edited by JimDauphinais on Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:18 am; edited 3 times in total
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually... Scott Burleson and Scott Ritenour were doing Gorn v Roms at the far (front) end of the table.
the game was fairly evenly matched, but I think in the end the Gorns finally gave up and fled... just barely managing to eek out an escape with their remaining ships.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great time! I'd love to see some right ups of the battles if you can Smile
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be posting write-ups of the two I was in... the others will haveto provide info on theirs...
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! I'm looking forward to it Very Happy
Warhammer
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh* I wish we had a better group in Memphis. I have plenty of people to play with, but not enough to make a trek and make a day of it like this.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one heck of a meetup guys. Very cool!
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great time was had by all.
yockbo
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warhammer wrote:
*sigh* I wish we had a better group in Memphis. I have plenty of people to play with, but not enough to make a trek and make a day of it like this.

Memphis is much closer to STL than Murfreesboro. Very Happy
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should all just invade Warhammers place.
It's 3 1/2 hours from here... about hte same from St Louis...

If we planned it right, he wouldn't even know we were coming til we knocked on his door.
yockbo
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: HeavyD Reply with quote

Here's a picture of the infamous Jim "HeavyD" Dauphinais:

yockbo
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: TN AAR Reply with quote

Here is my AAR for my second game of the day. My first one was a spanking handed to me from the esteemed Mr. Mike Curtis. This one was against Tony (ScoutDad) and had a slightly better result. Wink

This was a pretty interesting game and one that I am pretty happy about (in that it I didn’t make any blatant mistakes). T1 had us close and exchange a volley at the 9-15 range near the end of the turn. I correctly guessed when he was going to alpha, thus I powered up the IPG’s in ECM mode and he was adding +2 to his shooting. I did some nice damage on the CS, I shot 8xIC and 12xP1’s, so I mostly took down a shield (#1) and got a treat. His return volley was less impressive, however the PPD’s did chew up 20ish off one of my CA’s front shield, his 12xP1s did “2” damage due to the +2 IPG mod (nice!).

He turned cold (left), pooped out one F and turned on EM. I followed in and shot at the F, it hit for only a few damage on my #6 shield. Turn 2 had him continue to EM and recharge, moving speed 16. I think I went 16 also (he was going towards a corner, so I wasn’t worried about him getting away). I followed him and mid-turn took a range 4-5 shot (+1 for EM) that tore down most of the CS’s #3 shield. I was now in his six (behind him) and the range was under 6. He kept up EM so I didn’t have to deal with the rear firing F’s that those ISC boats have (only the CS in this case).

Turn 3 was the final turn. He went 24 and was able to turn his nose enough to poop out his Frigates Plasma F’s (FP arc, 2 on each ship) at one of my ships (range 8 or so when he shot). He’s where I didn’t make the mistake. I decided to stay on his tail instead of running from the 4x F’s. I maneuvered so that they’d hit my #2 and I did a little defensive fire from phasers, saving the P1’s for my alpha at his CS. After taking the hit (40 odd internals on the CA) from the plasma’s, the next impulse I alpha’d him from range 5. My undamaged CA targeted (overloaded) at one of the FF's, getting about 20-30 internals while my damaged CA shot into the nearly down #3 shield on the CS (recall the T2 phaser fire) doing another 20-30 internals. Net results was that he had two ships wrecked (CS and FF) and I had one CA damaged (-15 power and but most of my offensive weapons were still active) and one undamaged CA. Tony resigned at this point. Tony was also an excellent player and a down right gentleman. I think we were both feeling out the new ships. Man do I like those Vudars so far!
Warhammer
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
I think we should all just invade Warhammers place.
It's 3 1/2 hours from here... about hte same from St Louis...

If we planned it right, he wouldn't even know we were coming til we knocked on his door.

I'll make sure not to leave the NSMs in the yard. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: