Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Captain's Log 35

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Captain's Log
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squire of Gothos
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Captain's Log 35 Reply with quote

Well this was my first purchase of a Captain's Log and I'm impressed.

The piece of fiction - Duty, Honor, Empire was a wonderful read. A very intriguing story and nicely paced. Also a nice touch to include a Fed Com scenario based on the encounter. I'll definately have to give that a run out soon.

It was interesting to see the new Fed Com ships in squadron scale with stats opposite for SFB. I hadn't realised the FC ships were so similar to the SFB ones. These hybrid sheets certainly look like they bring the graphics to SFB more up to date when you compare them to the other SFB ships in the issue. Are there any plans to update the SFB line of graphics for their SSD sheets? Just interested.

All the articles on Federation and Empire were enough to stop me thinking about ordering the game and actually do it Smile. Has anyone produced a VASSAL module for this by any chance?

Looking forward to more issues!
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if there is a VASSAL module for Federation And Empire, but I'm pretty sure that players do play it using Cyberboard. If you go to starfleetgames.com/discus and click on the Federation And Empire topic list, there should be someone willing to help out.

I've been getting interested in playing F&E myself, after reading all those tactical notes in Captain's Log I want to know what it's all about.
Squire of Gothos
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Terry. Nice to know there is a cyberboard. The problem is I use a Mac only so VASSAL is generally my only option atm. I may pick up an intel based Mac at some point though and run windows on it.

Once I get the game, I'll pop over to the other forums with loads of questions I'm sure.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might check on the other BBS for the guys playing F&E there and see if one of them has VASSAL.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Captain's Log 35 Reply with quote

Squire of Gothos wrote:
All the articles on Federation and Empire were enough to stop me thinking about ordering the game and actually do it Smile. Has anyone produced a VASSAL module for this by any chance?

Looking forward to more issues!

Yes, there is a VASSAL module for F&E. Several actually, depending on which scenario and which expansions you have. I'm off to Origins tomorrow, but let me return and I'll email you off-list and give you the links to the module downloads.
Squire of Gothos
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. And especially Scoutdad. I'll look out for your email when you get back. Just got to wait for the games to arrive now Smile. I ordered F&E Expandad and Advanced Operations Expanded to start with direct from ADB a few days ago. I expect I'll pick up the rest pretty quickly if the game really appeals once I get a good look at it.
Rindis
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops! Just spotted this.

I'm actually the main person who's been developing the Vassal module for F&E. I don't currently have one split up by individual expansions (I've done it in the past, but am trying to get a bunch of features locked down before splitting up the current version again).

Send me an email, and I'll send you a current version of the module. Also, discussion of the module and announcements of new updates are on the F&E By Email thread on the legacy forum:
http://www.starfleetgames.com/discus/messages/37/3491.html

Scoutdad? Do you have the latest version of my module?
Sneaky Scot
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to sound a bit dumb, but what is a VASSAL module?

I bought DF&E many years ago, but never really got the chance to play it although I am quite interested in the concept. It just took up too much time and space!
Squire of Gothos
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm actually the main person who's been developing the Vassal module for F&E.

Rindis, thanks for posting and you're work to build the module. I'll get an e-mail to you asap Smile

Quote:
Sorry to sound a bit dumb, but what is a VASSAL module?

VASSAL is a java based program that allows you to play loads of different games either by PBeM or through on-line live play. You can download it free here: http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php

There are lots of modules posted at the site to for various games.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squire of Gothos wrote:
Thanks all. And especially Scoutdad. I'll look out for your email when you get back. Just got to wait for the games to arrive now Smile. I ordered F&E Expandad and Advanced Operations Expanded to start with direct from ADB a few days ago. I expect I'll pick up the rest pretty quickly if the game really appeals once I get a good look at it.

Just got back from Origins, and saw the post from Rindis. Since he has you taken care of, I'll not clutter up your inbox with duplicate info. Just wanted to let you know that I hadn't forgotten about the offer to forward the inforamtion to you.

Once you get VASSAL up and running, drop me an email. Maybe we can get a game going.
Squire of Gothos
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just wanted to let you know that I hadn't forgotten about the offer to forward the inforamtion to you.

Much appreciated. Hope you had a ball at Origins Smile

Quote:
Once you get VASSAL up and running, drop me an email. Maybe we can get a game going.

Thanks very much for this! I've got the VASSAL mod now and it looks fantastic. Once the actual games arrive and I've done a bit of reading, then I'm sure I'll take you up on this. Thanks again Smile
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squire of Gothos wrote:
...Much appreciated. Hope you had a ball at Origins Smile

It was incredible. Due to the total number of hours I spent playing Federation and Empire, I'm not completely sure how many people were there... but I think it was somewhere along the lines of:
F&E - had 22 full-time players
SFB - had 16 onsite and 6 on-line players
FC - had 13 players
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Captain's Log All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: