Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possibly getting into SFB
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Possibly getting into SFB Reply with quote

Hey guys. I have been an FCer for a while now, and I very much enjoy the game. However, I realize that FC alone is not enough to be a true contributor to ADB. I want to get a little expixience with SFB without making a huge investment. So this is my question: Should I just get the SFB core set and possibly the SSD book from advanced missions? Or should I get the master rulebook and the SSDs from the Core set and the Advanced missions?

Note: I do have the cadets manual and have played some of the scenarios.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you're an FCer you already have maps, counters and dice.

For SFB you'll need rules & SSDs. You will also need energy allocation forms and a DAC but I'm pretty sure these can be downloaded for free and printed off if your computer has a printer.

The Master Rule Book does not contain the 'R-sections' which are the blurbs and special rules for each class of ship. So if I were you I probably would get the rulebooks & SSD books from Basic Set and Advanced Missions. Reading those rulebooks should let you absorb the rules in bite-size chunks rather than trying to swallow the whole MRB at once.

This is just my two cents. I'm sure more experienced SFBers will be able to give more certain advice.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that is actually an excellent question, actually.

The problem is that the SFB Master Rulebook has some important holes in it, which makes it hard to use as a pure entry into SFB. Also, coming into it fresh can be hard, as you won't have all the counters and such.

I am thinking you want to get the following:
- SFB Basic Set (5501) $35
- SFB Module TR (5624) $10

The Basic Set gives you the basic rulebook. This covers all the basic rules required to play the base game with the Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Kzinti, Gorn, Tholian, and Orion empires. It is missing a few of the advanced rules from Advanced Missions, but it has the important stuff.

Module TR is the rules beyond the Basic Rulebook that is required to play tournament. I am not suggesting that you play tournament, but rather make use of the very handy tool to get a substantial look at the rules for the other empires not included in Basic Set.

From there, you can then decide where you want to go. But the above is the least cost path I can think of to give you the broadest coverage of SFB.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you both. That looks like what I want.

I'm not completely sure if I want to make that investment yet, but thats definetly the way I'll go if I decide to.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you do Terry's suggestion of the rulebooks and SSD books, still get Module TR for the reasons I outlined above. That gives you:
- Basic Set Rulebook (5501-2) $15
- Basic Set SSD Book (5501-3) $10
- Advanced Missions Rulebook (5502-2) $15
- Advanced Missions SSD Book (5502-3) $18
- Module TR (5624) $10

EDIT: Actually, you could split the difference of the two suggestions: Just get the rulebook and SSD book from Basic Set and Module TR. That is then only $35. You would have to use your FC counters and maps, but that shouldn't be a problem. If you like that, you can then get the stuff for Advanced Missions.

Alex Knight
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
The problem is that the SFB Master Rulebook has some important holes in it, which makes it hard to use as a pure entry into SFB. Also, coming into it fresh can be hard, as you won't have all the counters and such.

There are holes in the Master Rulebook? What holes are they, and what modules are needed to fill them?
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinecone,

Don't forget that there is a Cadet Training Book over on the legacy board that fills the same role as First Missions does in FedCom. It will give you the basic machanics of the game and after you digest it and its accompanying Cadet Training Manual (SSD) you will be ready to move on to the Basic Set to start adding more advance rules[/list]

http://www.starfleetgames.com/starfleetbattles.shtml

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Knight wrote:
mjwest wrote:

There are holes in the Master Rulebook? What holes are they, and what modules are needed to fill them?

There is no R, S, T, or U sections in the Master Rulebook.

While, on the surface, this doesn't seem like an issue, there are some important rules in those sections (like the definition of "crippled"), and some ships need more explanation than provided by their SSDs.

If you already have all (or most) of the rules, the MRB is a great way to get it all updated and consolidated. But it isn't that great of an entry point.

Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Knight wrote:

They are there so you can put the loose sheets into your binder Wink
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang wrote:
They are there so you can put the loose sheets into your binder Wink

I can see now how you made Captain, Kang Wink
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell Kang "you know the drill" and he nods and pulls out a Black & Decker... Laughing
MikeBurke
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

terryoc wrote:

For SFB you'll need rules & SSDs. You will also need energy allocation forms and a DAC but I'm pretty sure these can be downloaded for free and printed off if your computer has a printer.

Sure you will need these items but isn't there an issue here? I mean with the whole downloaded and printed for free part? You got to go buy the Basic set to get going. You should have the Basic Set or you won't have what you need to play the game. You would only have elements of it.

Mike Burke
SFB since '84
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

note the positioning of the comma.

Pinecone needs the rules and SSDs. (period)
You'll also need the E form and the DAC, (comma) which can be downloaded...

Yes, just having the EA and the DAC downloads will not enable you to play the game as you still need the rules, but all Terry was saying was that those two forms can be downloaded. And technically... you could buy the MRB (which doesn't come with SSDs, EA forms or a DAC) and then download the DAC, EA forms adn tournament SSDs and be able to play the game.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeBurke wrote:
Sure you will need these items but isn't there an issue here? I mean with the whole downloaded and printed for free part? You got to go buy the Basic set to get going. You should have the Basic Set or you won't have what you need to play the game. You would only have elements of it.

If you are starting from scratch, yes. Note my initial recommendation way above.

That said, pinecone is coming from FC. So, he already has all the counters and maps he is gonna need. At that point all he really does need is the rules and SSDs. The EAF, DAC, and Impulse chart are all free downloads, and thus easily accessible from there.

Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cadet handbook is available on the website for free so you can, indeed, play SFB for free, at least to a limited extent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: