Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Celebration, comments, and questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation & Empire
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Celebration, comments, and questions Reply with quote

Folks,
This past weekend, my regular game opponent (RGO) and I finished up playing The Wind. For him, it was the first time he had played a F&E game after owning it since the Deluxe Edition and for me it was the first time I played a complete scenario since the early 90's. This was our "training" scenario - a large enough scenario to run through the game and to learn/re-learn how to play it. The plan is for us to start over in 2011 with The Wind and keep at it until either we reach economic exhaustion or ISC War is released. Smile

For this scenario, we used just the Federation and Empire 2010 rules but will be adding in most of the expansions for the 2011 game. We both enjoyed the scenario immensely and are looking forward to the January start (we most likely will start during the Christmas break). Personally, I am really looking forward to the additional rules for the additional tactical flexibility they offer.

Now, to some comments:

• Our schedule was to play a turn every other Sunday afternoon. We were able to do this in about 3-5 hours (depending on the battles and such) by having the Coalition player (me) do his economics before the session started. I cobbled together an excel spreadsheet that handled most of the fiddly calculations which made this much easier. (It's posted on the F&E Play Aids as F&E Eco Form - comments and corrections welcomed!)
  • My map is the original Federation and Empire black space map from the original edition. While the black background looks really cool, it was hard for our older eyes to make out all the various provinces. I will probably upgrade my map for the 2011 session.

Finally, my two quesitons:

• I've read everything I could in CL 33+ (as those are the only ones I own) looking for some basic "how to" tactics articles. Things like "How best to take down the Kzinti before the Hydrans show up" and "What's a good strategy for Kzinti defense".
  • One general tactics question that my RGO had was why would a defender actually fight an approach battle when defending a BATS or SB? Why not wait for the attacker to come in to the guns of the BATS/SB?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Celebration, comments, and questions Reply with quote

jmt wrote:
One general tactics question that my RGO had was why would a defender actually fight an approach battle when defending a BATS or SB? Why not wait for the attacker to come in to the guns of the BATS/SB?

I am so not an F&E expert. However, one major reason seems completely clear to me: If the advancing force is big enough to force damage on the BATS/SB, having an approach battle would hopefully whittle down the attacking force such that it can't automatically damage the BATS/SB. Granted, this is tougher on the defending forces, but could preserve the BATS/SB from destruction. (At least for this battle sequence.)

Federation Commander Answer Guy
SFU_FEAR
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing about an approach battle is that your RGO is just pinning your ships and you have about equal forces and all he is going to do is offer you an approach battle then when you decline to stay at the Base with it's big P-4's he will run and you will not be able to pursue.

The approach battle allows you to send the bases fighters forward as a 6 point attrition unit plus any other fighters you have to soak up damage. You can then do damage to your RGO and take little on your part.

Your first "question" did not have a question in it, but if you are looking for tactics on what to do there are many and quite a few people who will give you as many ideas and options as there are players.

You may want to post some of these questions on the Discus BBS as more F&E players lurk there.
SFU_FEAR
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, send me your email to mcurtis AT rutherfordcountytn DOT gov and I will send you the spreadsheets I use for each race for F&E. Just another option other than what is on the web site.

This offer goes for any others that would like them. I will send them as a zip file, but the file will have a .mik extension to slip it past my mail server as something harmless. Just save it to where you keep F&E stuff and rename it to a .zip and extract normally. Our mail server here strips .zip files as they could be harmful.
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFU_FEAR wrote:
Another thing about an approach battle is that your RGO is just pinning your ships and you have about equal forces and all he is going to do is offer you an approach battle then when you decline to stay at the Base with it's big P-4's he will run and you will not be able to pursue.

I was playing the Coalition and did this once or twice on the Hydran front to pin down the trashcans. My RGO when playing Kzinti, hung back (knowing I had to take out the bases) and would fight to the last ship. Quite expensive for me, but more so for him. I guess it was part of the "artificial end " of the scenario that lead him to sacrifice his fleet.

Quote:
Your first "question" did not have a question in it, but if you are looking for tactics on what to do there are many and quite a few people who will give you as many ideas and options as there are players.

You may want to post some of these questions on the Discus BBS as more F&E players lurk there.

Yes, that was my question - in the editing and re-editing I did on the original post, it was dropped. Thanks. I was also wondering if some of the earlier CL's had articles on this topic - I am considering ordering the CL F&E bundle and was curious as to what all was in there.

Quote:
Also, send me your email to mcurtis AT rutherfordcountytn DOT gov and I will send you the spreadsheets I use for each race for F&E. Just another option other than what is on the web site.

You were kind enough to send those to me earlier - they're very nice, thanks. I especially like the builds forms.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation & Empire All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: