Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1st game report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texy
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: 1st game report Reply with quote

Hi,
myself and collegue played a simple 1 on 1 last night in squadron scale. We picked a couple of closey matched frigates and threw dice to decide who got what and started at either diagonal ends of a 3 x 2 'map'. Well after 4 hours or so of gameplay we are still learning the rules, but picked up the basics, although some of them we simplified and may of been interpreted. Both of our ships were pretty much beaten up, but we agreed that my Klingon frigate could no longer continue after taking 12 ship damage through an empty shield.
A couple of Q's :
1..Drone range is quoted in the rules as 'short range', but we couldn't find the actual range. Perhaps its in a different section? I,ve read a few threads where 25 is mentioned, but which rule specifically covers this?
2..Anti-Drone damage does not appear to be in the DAC tables. Does this mean either player has the choice of disabling either Drone or Anti-drone ship boxes? Or that the anti-drone box is never disabled (unlikely!)
3..Ship cards. I know that the initial base speed is set secretly, but once all parties have set and declared, it is not. What about the other ship card details? Once the turn has started, and the baseline speed declared, is all ship card detail open to scrutiny? ie, how much shields are left, etc. We were a little unsure of that, and clearly it is important when taking tactical decisions.

Overall we enjoyed the game and I,m sure we will speed up the gameplay as we play more.
Thanks,
Texy
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drones don't have a range per se, you can lanch them at any target that is up to 25 hexes away (if that is what you mean). After that they move towards the target until they hit it. They can ultimately end up moving far more than 25 hexes as they chase it down. They will last between 3 and 4 turns for a total possible move of between 72 and 96 hexes.

ADD are hit on drone hits. The person being hit can choose which he takes (drone or add). There are quite a few weapons like this (various heavy weapons and 'defensive' weapons), some are hit on 'drone' other on 'torp' The initial section for each weapon should explain which it is hit on.

Everything about the ship is open to inspection. Declaring base speed is secret, and under some circumstances you choose your next move in secret (if both ships happen to move simultaneously).

By the way where in the UK are you?

Last edited by storeylf on Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your first game. Storeylf got it right. The ADD thing works like how "Phot" hits also take out distruptors.

Just out of curiosity, what was the other frigate?
Texy
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
Drones don't have a range per se, you can lanch them at any target that is up to 25 hexes away (if that is what you mean). After that they move towards the target until they hit it. They can ultimately end up moving far more than 25 hexes as they chase it down. They will last between 3 and 4 turns for a total possible move of between 72 and 96 hexes.

OK thanks for the explainations. Where does the 72 or 96 hexes (3 or 4 turns) come from? Maybe there is a counter or such to keep tabs on its movement?

storeylf wrote:
ADD are hit on drone hits. The person being hit can choose which he takes (drone or add). There are quite a few weapons like this (various heavy weapons and 'defensive' weapons), some are hit on 'drone' other on 'torp' The initial section for each weapon should explain which it is hit on.

OK, understood

storeylf wrote:
Everything about the ship is open to inspection. Declaring base speed is secret, and under some circumstances you choose your next move in secret (if both ships happen to move simultaneously).

..that makes sense, we weren't doing that, but will from now on.

storeylf wrote:
By the way where in the UK are you?

Newbury, Berks.

Cheers,
Texy
Texy
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
Congrats on your first game. Storeylf got it right. The ADD thing works like how "Phot" hits also take out distruptors.

Just out of curiosity, what was the other frigate?

Federation Frigate.

Second game tonight, we are going to try a scenario, rather than just a simple 1 on 1. Not sure which one yet though - suggestions welcome!

Texy
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texy wrote:
storeylf wrote:

OK thanks for the explainations. Where does the 72 or 96 hexes (3 or 4 turns) come from? Maybe there is a counter or such to keep tabs on its movement?

At the end of each turn you mark each drone (via whatever means you want to), when you get to the end of a turn and already have 3 marks you remove the drone. therefore, if you fire the drone right at the of a turn it will get 3 turns of movement, if you fire it on impulse 1 of a turn it will get almost 4 turn of movement (so not quite 96 hexes).

Quote:

Newbury, Berks.
Texy

bit far south for me then, I'm up near Leeds/York.
Texy
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks.
I had someone else ask me the same question, but they were down in Devon!

Cheers,
Texy
dharras
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texy wrote:
OK thanks.

There appears to be quite a few of us British folk frequenting this BBS.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texy wrote:
OK thanks.

Cheers,
Texy

Aye, that were me. But I am a Yorkshireman originally Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: