Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting minis soon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonewolf187
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Getting minis soon Reply with quote

Hello everyone:
I recently purchased Squadron Boxes #1 & 2 and they should be here soon. However, I have a few questions in regards to painting and detailing them:

1. In a lot of pictures with Federation ships I see that they have the names of the ships on the saucer, are those painted on or are those decal stickers? If they are stickers where can I get them? I didn't see them for sale in the store.

2. Are there Mini sets for the various monsters that are available for the scenarios? If there aren't any sets what would be a good substitute for them? Specifically the Planet Killer and the Juggernaut.
Starfighter Decals
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some are decals, some are handpainted.

One source of decals:
http://www.starfighter-decals.com/federation-commander-decal-sets.html
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following sources of decals for Starline miniatures are available. (NOTE: ADB Inc. does not endorse any of them, guarantee their work, or offer any compensation if they don't do good work or if their products damage your miniatures.)

Bob Pomroy (www.pomroyproductions.com) has over 50 decal sets for Federation, Klingon, Lyran, Romulan, Gorn, Kzinti, and WYN ships.

Mark Tutton (Starfighter-decals.com, starfighterace@yahoo.com) -- Many empires & hulls available. E-mail Mark for prices and details.

JBOT Decals (http://www.jbot.ca) -- Primarily Klingon D7 and Romulan KR decals.
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting minis soon Reply with quote

Lonewolf187 wrote:
Hello everyone:
I recently purchased Squadron Boxes #1 & 2 and they should be here soon. However, I have a few questions in regards to painting and detailing them:

1. In a lot of pictures with Federation ships I see that they have the names of the ships on the saucer, are those painted on or are those decal stickers? If they are stickers where can I get them? I didn't see them for sale in the store.

Mine are decals (you can see pics of the minis on the pages linked to in the signature below). They're not stickers--they're waterslide decals, so there is a bit of technique involved. Some people do paint them on (I think Brigman - aka Dale McKee does, there are others to, but I can't remember right now).

Quote:

2. Are there Mini sets for the various monsters that are available for the scenarios? If there aren't any sets what would be a good substitute for them? Specifically the Planet Killer and the Juggernaut.

There isn't a current "Monsters" box set, but you can order the minis individually. They can be found here (under Starline 2400 miniatures:Other) on the online store:

http://store.starfleetstore.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=S&Category_Code=O

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
Lonewolf187
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the reply's from everyone. I do have another question:

3. Can you guys suggest a good transport case for the minis? I'm not sure which one would be a good fit for the models.
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you glue your stands to your minis or do you keep them seperate?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lonewolf187 wrote:
Thanks for all the reply's from everyone. I do have another question:

3. Can you guys suggest a good transport case for the minis? I'm not sure which one would be a good fit for the models.

While often a good point of debate / contention / personal opinion:
I go to the sporting goods section of my local Wal-mart. From there, I purchase 18 bin plastic organizers (Akron Mills brand)... then I go to the craft section and buy a 12 x 12 x 1 1/2 inch sheet of poly foam.

Cut the poly foam to fit the individual compartments. You can then cut a slot into the foam to insert the stand pole. [1 slot near the center for large minis... 2 slots - one on each end and slightly offset for medium minis and 3 or 4 slot for really small minis.]
The combination of cut-to-fit poly foam and slotted holes will hold the mini against side-to-side movement and the thickness of the foam aids in preventing vertical displacement of the painted miniature.

As a bonus, since the compartment dividers are removalable, you can adjust the size of the bins to hold the larget minis as well [battleships, Juggernaut, etc.]

Here's what it looks like in use:

wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my stands are glued to my minis, I chose an inexpensive route. I found some small boxes with lids. I cut out some 2 inch thick foam material to fit then I cut individual holes for each mini/stand.

Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wedge_hammersteel wrote:
Since my stands are glued to my minis, I chose an inexpensive route. I found some small boxes with lids. I cut out some 2 inch thick foam material to fit then I cut individual holes for each mini/stand...

BAH! It had to be Hydrans, didn't it? Wink
SFU_FEAR
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it hadn't been Hydrans he would have used something a little better, like you did for the Klingons! Smile
Lonewolf187
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks for the reply's everyone. I think I'll probably take Scoutdads suggestion. I do have to ask Scoutdad, what were those black balls that you had in your case there? Are those supposed to be asteroids or planets?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We play the Black Hole mania scenario in SFB quite a bit (and have adapted it for Fed Comm, as well) - so those are the black holes that are randomly generated each turn.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony showed his, so I guess I should show mine...

Since that picture was taken, I switched to the larger cases, with the removable dividers (and lots more cases, as my collection is much, much bigger).
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those little back balls are not black holes, they are just ping pong balls painted back. They are harmless, go ahead and move near them. They will have no effect on you at all. I promise... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: