Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Couple of questions (frax/andro)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Couple of questions (frax/andro) Reply with quote

Couple of questions came up last night in our andro vs frax fight.

Andro: I'm sure I've seen this asked before, but can't find it. For volley purposes do all seekers hitting a PA bank count as 1 volley (which seems be closest to 3A4), even where they came in on different hex sides - I ran down several drones that impacted across 6, 1 and 2 facings so they all hit the front panel. My defensive fire was appalling and it became important for burnthrough purposes to decide whether they all constituted the same volley or not. We went with they do count as a single volley as they all hit the same PA bank which was the closest definition to same shield.

Frax: Firing axion torps void the cloak for 1 impulse, until after direct fire the following impulse, but does it count as voided in the direct fire phase it fired? i.e. can I 'me to' fire at the sub and get the benefit of void, or do you have to wait to next impulse for that? We went with playing to the frax advantage for now, on the basis that it is simultaneous fire and frax is cloaked at the instant he fires.

[edit] I knew there was something else I said I would get clarified. Does using a displacement device have any affect on turn/slip modes? I don't think it does, but it was something we were looking for at one point.

And another point that occured to me, Disdevs are hit on every other control hit. The rule says see 3e1d (frame instead of last of type), but it doesn't actually say what it means by that. Normally type is determined by whether you can take another of that DAC hit, (i.e. you have to be down to your last phaser of any type, not just your last Ph1 etc). So can I take a frame instead of a last DisDev even though I have other control boxes left, or do I have to take the disdev cos it is a 'control' type for DAC purposes?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were correct on both answers.

- Volleys against Andromedan ships are based on power absorber panel banks, not on "shield facings". So, yes, if three drones strike an Andromedan ship on the same impulse, one each through shield facings #6, #1, and #2, they would all be combined into a single volley. Such is the weirdness that is power absorbers.

- The cloak is not voided until the phase after the voiding event takes place. This is true in general, not just when axion torpedoes void the cloak. (I think this has come up before.) Also, don't forget that only firing overloaded axion torpedoes will void a cloak; firing normal loads has no penalty.

And, for the bonus question ...

- Displacement devices are treated separately from control spaces. Just like, say, web generators would be. So, if you have a single control space and a single displacement device box left, you can take a frame damage to protect either of them.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - and the turn mode/displacement question?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, accidentally missed that one:

- The only operational effects that happen on a displaced unit are those listed in (5U4b) Disruption. Nothing else. So, you are correct. Displacement has no effect on turn mode or slip mode.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: