Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FCOL Tournament: Information, Announcements and Deadlines
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys,

Due to an unpredictable work schedule - I conceded my game to Paul about 3 or 4 weeks ago to prevent delayign round three.

I assumed it had been reported, but alas - no. I have submitted the result and am ready to go on with round three whenever yall are.
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting stats after 2 rounds:

Kzinti 6-1 (and the only loss was to another Kzinti!)
Orion 2-2
Fed 1-4
Lyran 1-1
Selts 1-1
Tholian 0-2
Drew Klenotic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I've been saying, in tourney espeically, the Kzinti are overpowered due to the limited options against drones in FC vs. SFB.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rise, Rise my federation brothers!...
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the next online tournament, I will have a generic proposal to deal with empire strength imbalances (as well as large numbers of participants picking the same empire). It will draw off of the empire selection and empire performance from the first tournament. On a high level, it will involve applying a discount or premium to the printed point values of certain empires. It will also be able to iterate over time (as additional tournaments are played) toward providing parity between the empires for the tournament scenario. All of this can be accomplished without changing the printed point values of the ships or the rules of the game.

Also, when we get to the next online tournament, if Terry wants to bow out, I am willing to run it provided an assistant tournament director is willing to step forward such that I can play as well. Alternatively, I am willing to act as an assistant tournament director if somone else would like to run the next tournament.

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
mojo_billbo
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
Rise, Rise my federation brothers!...

I'm giving it all she's got, captain!

Anyway, I'm not effective with Kzinti drone ships, so I figured I would do better with a Fed NCD, and I'm wrong... I just gotta stay away from drones heavy tactics, I don't play them effectively...

Next time I get to pick a fleet for a FCOL tourney, I'm wondering if they'll let me take some FRA CLA at 125 pts each... Armour, plus light photons, could be interesting...
Patrick Doyle
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Round 3 Reply with quote

Looking forward to Round Three.

If someone wants to play a game sometime, I'll Take a Fed group against a Kzinti force. IF...IF I win it may provide some hope other Federation players. Don't despair, Feds can beat Kzinti, but I agree they are tough, tournament or not.

Drew Klenotic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we did read that article on how to manuver so you could avoid the drones. The problem is, the way I see that, it's not so much a "tactic" as it is relying on a "game mechanic". If that's really what the Feds have to resort to when playing a drone race, that should say something.

Just having an ADD or two, or even a pair of PG's could make all the difference.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew Klenotic wrote:
Well, we did read that article on how to manuver so you could avoid the drones. The problem is, the way I see that, it's not so much a "tactic" as it is relying on a "game mechanic". If that's really what the Feds have to resort to when playing a drone race, that should say something.

Any tactic relies on game mechanics. It sounds like you just want winners to be decided simply by weapon comparison, "he has enough PhG to kill my drones, and enough Photons to blow me up, I can't use my move intiative to avoid the photons because that is just a game mechanic".

Out manouvering drones is not a game mechanic 'get out', no more than out manouvering a ship, or outrunning plasma. Or using the EM game mechanic etc.

I find it odd that 'plasma is weak' cos you can out run it yet drones are overpowered even though they are easier to avoid. Patricks tactic is a simple tactic that I've been using a long time with any race cos it's so 'obvious' Wink. Accelerating past a slower missile and leaving it struggling to turn back on you is something that you should expect to do no matter what the game mechanics.
Patrick Doyle
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For whatever it is worth here is how I like to think of it.

First we have the rules, these tell us what we can and can't do. Ideally after reading the rules once, you'll understand how to play the game.

Next there are insights into the rules. Some things are explicitly stated in the rules as "you can..." or "You may not..." Other things are are not always so obvious to everyone. Basically, having some insights into the rules means having a deeper understanding of how the game works..this can allow a more knowledgeable player to recognize opportunities that a less knowledgable player doesn't.

Next, where I beleive you have "Tactics" in Fed com is when you find a way to link 2 or more rules (ie Game mechanics) in a way that you hope will give you an advantage in the battle.

Tactics can also come from how you maneuver and position multiple ships in relation to your enemy. No doubt there are other ways to define "Tactic" as it relates to FC.

In some of the articles I write, I am may be trying to point out insights into the rules that may or may not be obvious to everyone. I often write with the new player in mind so that they can hopefully become a competive player a little sooner. Other times we are talking about genuine tactics that require knowledge of how to combine different rules.

Anyway, as far as fighting the Kzinti go, in some situations its better to shoot down all the drones, other times you want to maneuver around them to score your damage. The key is knowing which course of action to take.

VulcanDropout
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: third round Reply with quote

All of second round results have been posted. Are we having a third round?
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A third round was part of the plan.

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, kzin are hard. Not invincible. If I had turned my damaged shield away like any fool would, the result of my latest battle may have been different.
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry -- Are you going to be able to provide third round matchups (after the holidays)?

JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this tournament dead?

If so, I am willing to start a new one (which I will support to a conlcusion) provided someone is willing to be an assistant Game Master so that I can play as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: