Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for old style of Fed OCL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooey. The number of "old minis sold for high prices in the secondary market" is trivial. (We see every Ebay auction there is, and several other sites, and we know that the number of ships sold by those means is never close to 10% of the number we sell, and rarely over 5%). And we know, from contacts, that most of those are sold not to people who want the older designs (which, frankly, are NOT higher quality) but people who don't know ADB is back in business.
Starfighter Decals
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look on the bright side and just let folks take a stroll thru the old message boards and see for themselves just what was discussed if they are so inclined.

http://www.starfleetgames.com/discus/

Lots of discussions on how the minis were created, both the old SL2200 and newer SL2400, with a little SL2300 discussion as well. It will give some insight on how things have changed thru the years when it comes to the Miniature line. I hope folks will take a look. It's very eye-opening and relevent this this particular discussion. Stuff that was censored in my posts was discussed openly and frankly back then and not by me.

I sure miss those good old days and my old friends from that time. I wonder what happened to them?
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they'll have better luck figuring out what you're talking about than we did, Mark. We simply cannot find what you say is there, although it is a big topic and a big BBS and we do delete old posts now and then. (We have the largest game publisher BBS in the industry, so there ARE a lot of posts.) Jean and I scaned through thousands of posts and every time we found somebody who said "your minis are awful" we found ten people saying "No, they're just fine" and me saying "Sales dont justify doing what you're asking us to do" and citing the proof that when we did what they wanted (e.g., Fed CC, the improved D7) sales did NOT increase AT ALL. I'll also note that I don't read most of the BBS and if you post "Hey, SVC, I want to do resin minis for you" and don't get an answer, the reason is that I never read the post because I don't read that topic. People who want deals send Email, and if you really wanted to accomplish anything beyond showing people how you behave you'd have emailed me about doing resin minis yesterday. You still can, for that matter, but we both know you don't want to accomplish anything other than DRAMA, so why don't you be dramatic somewhere else? Now, if you want to have an actual grownup discussion, I'm here every morning about 10am Texas Time. As for your old friends that you miss, you and I both know that they are still here, they just don't want to talk to you because of your awful customer service.
philgore
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...

To return to where this thread started, if anyone has a surplus of Federation Old Light Cruisers, I'd love to take them off your hands. Please PM me, I'll gladly take any fairly unreasonable offers. Very Happy From now on, I'll be sure to keep my opinions to myself.
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes companies have to make hard choices. The most valuable lessons that SVC has taught me are:

1. Sometimes good enough is where we have to stop.
2. Darn good and on time is better than perfect and very late.
3. You have to think about whether your kewl idea will turn a profit.

We do need to hear constructive criticism from our customers. That means that if there is a problem, you think of how to make it better and make suggestions. You do not slam our sculptors or company officers in public. There is an old adage that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar and that holds true when dealig with people and companies.

Would I like to catch each and every typographical and factual mistake? Of course I would! But at some point, I have to stop reading a product, hoping I'll catch the problem this time. It hurts my pride every time I see a typo, but it would hurt the company more if I were still proofreading CL#42.

It'd be a kewl idea to have dual lines of minis, sort of like the different levels of difficulty some of the larger plastic models have. Would it make the company a higher profit? Probably not. A good modeler can work with a more simplistic model and improve it. I think it would be harder for a person who needed sturdy models to make a more delicate (and perhaps more realistic) model stronger.

But please, let us keep hearing from you. If you notice that a mold has aged in a very bad way, we can investigate and see if we need to do something and if the sales warrant it. Just please remember that we probably cannot make everyone happy and we'll have to settle on making most of the people happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: