Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Omega Conversion Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leanna is loading it on e23 for $5. She thought that would give it more exposure and that people who paid $5 for it would treat it with more seriousness.
jeffery smith
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: v1 errata moved to the feedback thread.

Last edited by Nerroth on Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, anyone can create a thread here. Still, one is created now.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duly noted.

Oh, would it be a good idea to set up an Omega Tactics thread over on the tactics sub-board, or should that kind of discussion be kept either here, or in the feedback thread?
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it in one place until "publication" and THEN you can have a tactics thread. right now, "tactics" are likely to result in "rules changes" to fix any problems.
Rick Smith
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any Omega fans are interested, I've been slowly building up a collection of art inspired by the Octant. Can't promise regular updates, but I will try to post when I can.

Hop over here:

Ships & Creature Concepts

and here:

Planets & Sector Maps

to check out what I've been up to and, if it moves you, leave a comment.

Also, SVC has been very kind to supply me with the proper CMYK process colors, so the next time you see any additional ship cards for Omega, they will look much closer to ADB standards.

UPFY
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I don't want to shift focus too far away from the revisions needed for the current playtest pack, I couldn't help but start to look a little further ahead, in terms of trying to think of what might comprise a playtest pack #2.

Since the first pack looks to the 'west' of the Męsron Alliance, I'd shift the attention in a second playtest file to the 'east'; to cover the two other Superpowers on the Alliance's frontier. Also, with the provisional rules in the thread already, there are a couple of other powers that could be offered, along with a look at some ships and factions which use pre-existing rules in different ways.

So, to give one example:

Quote:
Koligahr Solidarity
*Heavy Cruiser
*Destroyer

Vari Combine
*Heavy Cruiser
*Heavy Frigate

Bolosco Merchant Guilds
*Merchant Cruiser

Qixa Amalgamate
*Trading Cruiser

Federal Republic of Aurora
*Destroyer

Vulpa Insurgency
*Blockade Runner

Of those, only the Vari would need playtest rules written up; the particle phaser and particle beam should be okay, the particle probes... well, we'll see, and the particle splitter torpedo (which might be tricky, in terms of working out how to handle the post-split warheads) isn't equipped on either of the ships presented (though there are PST-armed variants of each, which I guess could be presented as on-card variants or something).

How does that look?
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current discussion seems to have gotten bogged down in a discussion of tachyon missile loadouts. I'm bored with such details, the best way to find rules problems is to actually play. Let's take a couple of these bad boys down to the track and race for pink slips!

If anyone wants to play a duel of two of the playtest ships against each other, or even one cruiser and one frigate on each side, I'm willing to moderate a PBEM game. Any takers?!
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is up for trying the ships out, there are a few things I'd like to find out about how each empire plays on the tabletop:

*FRA:
They should be the closest to the Feds (the ones in B2, at least); though the different power requirements and firing arcs for the light photons should make things interesting.

*Męsrons: Getting the missiles right is important, but the direct-fire weapons on the ship are key. The tachyon guns offer a lot of flexibility, but might be tricky to get right. Too much power and your opponent can make it tough on you by playing keep-away; too little and the hits you do land might end up being weaker than you wanted. This dynamic can prove tricky in SFB; how does movement in FC affect the use of this weapon?

*Trobrin: The ITs drop 4 damage points per Impulse, and can't hit at range zero, but the range-1 detonation might make things interesting. The radiation phasers reward large volleys, while the IBs can be fast-loaded if the situation requires it.

*Probr: Unless the target is slow enough to make regular HEAT bombardment viable, getting the accentuation synergy right would be crucial to getting the most out of the Probr ships. It's that much harder to run from speed-64 plasma, and the increased resistance to phaser fire should help counterbalance the relatively low warheads of both types of HEATs.

*Iridani:
The B-variants are different from the bulk of the Questors' fleet; don't get too used to the forward-firing FEBs. The TIs should help score additional damage, but might not offer the same opportunities for spooking your opponent that they do in SFB.

How much of these thoughts resonate with what is seen on the tabletop, time will tell; if anyone actually feels like flying these ships, that is.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you with a copy of CL42, I might suggest this Omega-themed variant for scenario (8C28):

Quote:
4. Another Place: The Andromedans were also active in the Omega Octant at this time. Replace the CA with an FRA CLA or Męsron CA, the CL with an FRA CL, the DD with a Męsron DD, the FF with an FRA FF, and the POL with a Męsron FF. (Ships from the Federal Republic of Aurora and Męsron Alliance are included together, as the two empires were allies by the time the Andromedans arrived.)

Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since the Alpha fighters were getting a bit of a chat elsewhere, I found myself incapable of avoiding having a look at what attack craft the five playtest empires might use (in a BoM context).

Firstly, the carriers. The Męsrons, Probr and FRA all have Strike Carriers, which helps. The Trobrin have a Scout Carrier, while the Iridani can simply plunk two Carrier Modules into a Galleon.

Fighter-wise, it's hard to nail down what fighters to use until (or unless) those on Alpha carriers are decided on; however, there are various types of superiority and assault fighters in SFB to choose from.

For the Męsrons, the Advanced Standard Fighter is their best superiority type; the Advanced Tachyon Fighter offers direct-fire heavy weapon options, while the Advanced Missile Fighter is the missile option.

The Probr have the Advanced Beryl Phaser Fighter, as well as the HEAT-equipped Advanced Feldspar Torpedo Fighter (which only deploys from bases, so far at least).

The FRA go as far as the Doberman-2B as far as superiority fighters go; though I'd need to revise the Short-Range Cannon rules to make it work. The Rottweiler-2A is a good an assault fighter as they get, while the Ballistic Fighter-1 shows their attempts to operate a TM-armed platform.

The Trobrin have the Binding Fighter-A, their best dogfighter, as well as the Seeking Fighter-Ia (with implosion torpedo armament) and Drill Fighter-Ia (implosion bolt) also on offer.

The Iridani's best single-space fighters are the Skiff-3 (superiority) and Skiff-FA (assault); the Skiff-H heavy fighter is better than either, but might be out of place in the absence of two-space fighters for anyone else.

Generally, Omega carriers have a superiority/assault ratio of 2:1, though it's not a hard and fast rule.

Time will tell how things might go here in FC.

Last edited by Nerroth on Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far as getting the playtest pack updated, I will be having a look at the kind of changes set to go into v6 of the core ruleset. There are likely to be a number of changes (not least to plasmas) which will have a knock-on effect on certain Omega weapons and systems.

Also, I might want to tweak some of the weapon rules to better match the SFB originals; letting tachyon guns add extra Energy Points at the instant of firing, or giving HEATs their re-targeting ability, to give a couple of examples.

There is one thing I had on my mind lately, however; speed limits.

In SFB, many of the published Omega ships have certain speed caps, largely depending on their ship class, but also in some cases with more specific reasons. In the cases already seen, it's not such a big deal, but there are other ships that might have an issue.

For example, the Męsron dreadnought has two 18-box warp engines; no better than those on a Y-era Alpha DN. (The Trobrin, Probr and Iridani dreadnoughts have the same problem; of the five playtest empires, only the FRA have a DN with better warp engines.) Plus, certain unorthodox ships, such as the Męsron frignaught, can only go speed 24 (from their warp engines alone) in SFB; in that particular case, the ship is supposed to be unwieldy, since it's practically a mini-monitor.

From other empires out there, the Bolosco are notably restricted in their tactical speeds; with the exception of the express boat, their entire fleet is capped at a lower tactical speed limit.

So, I'm thinking that, in cases like the Męsron BB, DN, FFN, TGL, TGH and FBS, the Trobrin DSN, the Probr DN, the Iridani MW and BG, and the civilian FL, FS and PL, the units involved should not be able to set a Baseline Speed of 24.

(Three of those might need to be slower still, to echo their SFB originals; the FL, FS and FBS could end up not being able to set a Baseline Speed of 16, either.)

Seem reasonable?

EDIT: Though I'm reluctant to see it show up in FC any time soon, that kind of limit could be a way to represent the Probr CM's inadequate setup. in SFB, it has an awkward MC of 7/8; which wouldn't fit too neatly here. However, if it went to MC 1, and then had the speed limit restriction, it might adequately represent the ship's less-than-ideal layout.

That said, I'd rather skip that class altogether if at all possible.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice: ignore the speed limits, ignore the fighters, ignore HEAT re-targeting (regular plasma doesn't get shotguns or envelopers, so just keep it simple), adding energy into Tachyon Guns at point of firing opens a can of worms so ignore that too.

In fact, forget making any changes until you have a lot of playtest reports on the rules as written. I haven't seen much discussion on the existing rules here, which seems to imply people aren't using them.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed limits, for the most part, might be okay; I had another look at Briefing #2, and the Romulan Eagles included should be even slower than many of the ships I mentioned, but don't have any speed cap in FC. (I'd still consider one for the frignaught, to represent its less-than-optimal use in fleet actions.)

For HEATs, bear in mind that, unlike plasmas and implosion torpedoes, they require the use of a seeking weapon control channel; even on ships that have no TAs of their own. The re-targeting ability is one of the reasons for this; they have to control their torps directly in order to make use of their unique abilities.

I addressed the TG thing on the BBS, but in short I don't think it should be too much of a problem, considering the steep curve on range restrictions that higher arming levels enforce.

So far as doing an update goes, there are a number of issues, not least a few which were unfortunately missed when the file first went up, that need to be addressed; and will be, once RRBv6 is out for me to pore over (and once Rick gets the time to help get the file ready).

If people aren't using the rules as they are, I might as well try to get v2 ready; so that if they wish to try them later on, they will have a tidier set of rules and playtest cards to work with.

Assuming any of those who've downloaded the pack are planning to use it at all, that is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 19 of 20

Jump to: