Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Planet Killer Completed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Planet Killer Completed Reply with quote

I finally finished my Planet Killer, aka "The Doomsday Machine. I loosely based the paint job on the images captured from the remastered episode and from my memories of watching that episode.

I have always felt that the Doomsday Machine was more than just a machine, more like a lving machine if you will. This is what led to the paint job shoen in the links below. In order to provide a contrast against the ships that will be fighting it... the Klingons are light grey, the Gorns are dark grey, the Federation ships are light or grey - I decided to give it a purple-ish base color. I thing high-lighted, washed, and high-lighted again to acheive a somewhat multi-layered effect. I then painted the "veins" (for lack of a better word) in a lighter shade of purple and continued painting them with finer strokes and lighter highlights until I was finally used pure white paint.

The "maw" was first painted white, then purple at the edges, blended into red - into orange- into yellow- into white. This was doen using the same acrylic blending-gel that I use for blending the cat-like colors on my Lyrans.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the results. Take a look at the photos on my website and offer comments or suggestions... Smile

Planet Killer 01
Planet Killer 02
Planet Killer 03
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great paint job! I like how you captured the white highlights.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. This was a fun one to paint. Once I got started, it just sorta flowed the way I wanted in to. I'm really happy with the highlights, too. They give it depth and make it look more "realistic" than if it were painted a flat color.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh... nothing warms the heart and soul like praise from G. O. D.

Very Happy
Shadow
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome! What did you make it out of?

Green Stuff?

Pink Foam?
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal. You can buy it from ADB right now:
http://store.starfleetstore.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=0081-1&Category_Code=O
Robert Knoke
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe you actually asked for suggestions. I do have a comment though...

The next con you go to with a mini's contest... ENTER IT!

Did you go through a lot of repaints? I have a LOTR balrog that I just can't get right, and your Killer just gave me new hope Smile
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Knoke wrote:
I can't believe you actually asked for suggestions. I do have a comment though...

The next con you go to with a mini's contest... ENTER IT!

I have entered several miniatures in various contests. won a few, lost a few... but I've had much more fun just putting the miniatures out for use during my various games and hearig the ooohs and aaahs. Contests are OK... but playing with cool minis is waaaaay better. None of this "display quality" carp for me. My minis are intended for use in games.

Quote:
Did you go through a lot of repaints? I have a LOTR balrog that I just can't get right, and your Killer just gave me new hope Smile

No repaints on the PK - I just waited until I felt like painting it. Several other miniatures (my Juggernaut included) have been painted, only to be dipped in the Easy-Off almost before the paint was dry. If you Balrog doesn't look right, try what I do - paint something totally different (a cute little fairy or some such) nad then go back and try the Balrog again. You might be surprised what a change of pace will do for you.
irbaboon
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done!
Robert Knoke
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never occured to me that minis were for anything else. Yeah, I know there are painters that only display their work... and that's great!

I'm with you on this one... they should be used! All of my kids agree... If all you want to do is stare (and not touch), try a painting!
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Knoke wrote:
It never occured to me that minis were for anything else. Yeah, I know there are painters that only display their work... and that's great!

I'm with you on this one... they should be used! All of my kids agree... If all you want to do is stare (and not touch), try a painting!

Within limits, of course... my lovely wife still loves to tell the story about my first 40K tournament:
My first opponent in the tree was a 13-year old, trust fund, munchkin. He had several hundred, unpainted and unprimed Space Marines that were supposed to be Space Wolves. I fielded a 2000-point, fully-painted Eldar army (many of the figures had won awrds in various contests and the Swooping Hawks had taken first a couple of times).
Anyway, first turn - the Swooping Hawks alight deep in his territory and fire...
He responds by opening up with the "unassembled" Land Raider chassis and wipes out the squad - right down to the last man! Before I can react, he has scooped up all the minis in one hand and then tossed them onto the table behind us... yes, tossed - literally!. He let them fly from about 8 to 10 inches away. Fortunately, I beleive in applying several thin coats of clear-coat (so they can be played with) so none were scratched or chipped, but several did lose their wings. I informed him that I conceded the game and calmly began removing my figures from the table.
He goes over to tell the manager that I surrended and he was the winner. The manager came over to see why I had given up so quickly. I told the tale and showed him the damage... He disqualified the 13-year old and I advanced; for all the good it did me... I lost (legitimately) in the next round.
It gets better though, when the kid called his mom for a ride home and told her what had happened... she jumped the manager and told him that he was over-reacting and they were only toys and her son shouldn't be blamed because some got broken.
Uh, right! Amnyway, he never came back to that game store... of course, I never played in another tournament either because it was more fun to play a fun game that to stress out over a tournament.
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a similar type theme --
Spend a weekend, early 90s at a convention in Germany,

Battletech tournament was going on (just viewing myself) --
During the battles, physical damage (to match the die rolls) was done to the minis in the games (Lighters to simulate flamers, breaking off wpns/arms/legs) -- only affected my view of things until I learned the winner got the mech (guess the salvage rules do work) --
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our FLGS (before it went under in the late 80's) used to hold a "Smash and Grab" Battletech tournament every Black Friday (that's the day after Thanksgiving to those not from our neck of the woods).

The entry fee was a fully painted mech. After each battle, the victor had th choice of keeping the kill... or smashing it. It usually went about 75 / 25 smash / kill... but it was great fun (both to play and to watch!)
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch.

I think I'd cry if one of my minis I'm pouring all this effort into got squashed.

I guess I could never enter something like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: