Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Counters instead of miniatures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starmada and Klingon Armada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TriOpticon
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Counters instead of miniatures Reply with quote

I am interested in buying the Starmada products. One question I have, though, is using counters instead of miniatures. Since Starmada is hex based I don't think there is any problem there. What I was wondering, though, if I own Klingon Border, Romulan Border and Romulan Attack does this give me the counters for all the ships in the Klingon and Romulan armada products? For the Alien Armada I think I may need the Orion and Tholian Attack products.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated. I tried searching for this sort of topic but could not find anything.

Thanks.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using counters for Starmada is perfectly fine. I think you may need Klingon Attack for some of the ship counters for Klingon Armada. For Alien Armada you'd need Orion & Tholian Attack. The Starmada products are designed to use the same ships as the Attack products, so the counters/ship miniature boxes are the same for both.
TriOpticon
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do note that you can always order the counter sheets as spare parts from the online Star Fleet Store.

Also note that for Klingon Armada, you probably need the counters from both Klingon Border and Klingon Attack, not just Klingon Attack. (And the same for Romulan Armada: it needs the counters from Romulan Border and Romulan Attack.)

Federation Commander Answer Guy
madpax
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Counters instead of miniatures Reply with quote

TriOpticon wrote:
I am interested in buying the Starmada products. One question I have, though, is using counters instead of miniatures. Since Starmada is hex based I don't think there is any problem there.

You can easily play a hex-less game with counters. As In B5 ACTA, for example. And I played starmada without hex and it works very well.

I also bought counters when I wanted to play FC:
http://store.starfleetstore.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=4501&Category_Code=02
They are beautiful and big enough.

Marc
csragamemaster
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if ADB has ever considered doing Starmada as a boxed game?

Gnomecon
Savannah Georgia's Newest Game Convention
April 19-21
http://gnomecon.org/
TriOpticon
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Counters instead of miniatures Reply with quote

madpax wrote:
I also bought counters when I wanted to play FC:
http://store.starfleetstore.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=4501&Category_Code=02
They are beautiful and big enough.
I must have missed notification of this post...

Does that product cover all the ships in the Starmada products? I can't really tell what is in it as I am not familiar with "the basic hull types of every race in the Alpha Octant".

Thanks.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klingon Armada would need the counters from Klingon Border and Klingon Attack.

Romulan Armada would need the counters from Romulan Border and Romulan Attack.

Alien Armada would need the counters from Tholian Attack and Orion Attack.

Distant Armada will need the counters from Distant Kingdoms and Hydran Attack.

All of which is stated in each of the products.

Boxed game? No, never considered it because Starmada players mostly want to use minis and so a boxed game with maps and counters would find very few buyers.
madpax
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Counters instead of miniatures Reply with quote

TriOpticon wrote:
Does that product cover all the ships in the Starmada products? I can't really tell what is in it as I am not familiar with "the basic hull types of every race in the Alpha Octant".

Thanks.

If you mean Kling Armada, Romula Armada and Alien Armada, yes. You can find Fed, Klin, Rom, Gorn, Thol, Neo Thol, Orion, Juggernaut, Kz"in, monsters, ISC, Hyd, Lyr, Vud, Sel, And, and some I do not recognize.
Technical info: There are four counter sheets, each with 80 counters.
Each counter is in full color (really beautiful) and 1 inch square.

Marc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starmada and Klingon Armada All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: