Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fed Plastic Grab Bag

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Fed Plastic Grab Bag Reply with quote

Has anyone here bought one of these? I was wondering if someone could give me a breakdown on whats in it, like 'I got X number of saucers and X engines, plus a few pods.' Something like that.

http://store.starfleetstore.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=0209Z&Category_Code=O
toastie
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I purchased one, I got almost exactly 3 Tugs worth of parts. 3 tug saucers, 3 pairs of Tug engines, 3 pod bases, 7 pods, and 8 sets of pod ends. Only one sensor dish was included. I don't really need 3 more tugs, but the saucers can be used for kitbashes. I plan on using the extra pods to build some alternate freighter designs, including a 3 pod version, and a 4 pod heavy freighter in a different design than the existing one. It will be more like 2 large freighters stacked one on top of another instead of end to end.
Ben
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That's what I wanted to know.
toastie
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, the majority of the parts were in a semi-transparent light greenish "glow in the dark" plastic, but a few parts were in an opaque light gray. Also, keep in mind that you may get something different, I think the balanced set I got may be an anomaly.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was also, almost exactly 3 tugs worth.

I assembled 3 complete tugs, and a total of 7 pods (which are being converted to diffent variants). After this, I was left with 1 left warp engine for a heavy cruiser, and 3 pod caps.

The majority of the pieces were "glow-in-the-dark" green... but there were also some light grey pieces and one set of pod caps was transparent.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered my first of these early in the week. Interesting that this thread comes up now.

I plan to use mine similar to the above. Saucer and engine nacelles will get kitbashed into something eventually. I was rather taken with the DNW that Mike Raper did using similar parts and might take a crack at one like it.

The pods will go building "different" looking freighters. I also plan to do a LTT at some point as that is a really easy kitbash.

EDIT: Funny timing continues. Mine showed up today.
All tug parts: 3 saucers, 6-7 left engines (two with no strut), 1 right engine, two sensor sprues, one loose sensor, six pods, bunches of pod endcaps.

Great deal. I can build one complete tug, do my LTT, and still have tons pf parts left for kitbashes (especially since I bought all three of the metal kitbash packs earlier). Cool beans.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben, are you doing some freighters/tugs for a piracy scenario?
Ben
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's basically what I was thinking, Mike. I'm probably going to make freighters from the pods and try to make the tugs into frigates since we have some tugs already. They won't be exactly the right size, but I can live with that for the price.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tugs are also really easy to convert to Destroyers (if you need them).
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you cut off the pod "arc" connector and glue on the warp nacelle to make the tug into a DD?
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the tug pad is a separate part. The bottom of the neck on a Tug saucer is the same as all the others (it has a tab to fit into the slot on the mating part).

A quick-and-dirty Destroyer could be had just by gluing a Tug saucer on top of a Tug engine with the strut cut off.

Improvements that can be made to accurize it:
- File the tab portion off the Tug saucer neck first, so it sits at the proper height over the engine (or) Dremel a slot into the engine for it to fit into (this would also yield a stronger joint).
- Cut the engine into three pieces to allow the "control reactor loop" (which is on the inboard face of Tug and Cruiser nacelles) to point down (as on Destroyers and Scouts). I'd cut the front dome and it's three lower pads off as one piece and then the aft cap and it's cooling fins off as another and glue them back on rotated 90-degrees.

If you're truly retentive (like me), you can also file off the aft upper phaser bumps and add the LS and RS phasers in their Destroyer locations on either side of the bridge with dots of epoxy or super glue gel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: