Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rough texture on new minis. Is there hidden detail?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monty
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Rough texture on new minis. Is there hidden detail? Reply with quote

Is there more detail from this saucer dish if I keep sanding until the pock mark texture around the bridge is gone? Are there panel lines I can recover or are they gone? I'm afraid to go too far.

Does this look normal for a Fed mini?

Thanks

Monty
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get more details you will have to pick up the "CC Saucer" ---
That is item 0211-1 http://store.starfleetstore.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=0211-1&Category_Code=FM ---
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing you can do about those except scribe new ones. The casting of the standard CA and the BC saucers just don't have those lines, unfortunately. They were likely there on the original masters, but when the production molds were created, they just weren't distinct enough to be carried over.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
Monty
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I start the priming/painting at this stage will the finished surface exhibit the pocked / orange peel texture?

If I keep sanding will I be able to get it smooth?

I don't mind the fact the detail isn't there, I just don't want it replaced with something worse. I wouldn't mind if I could get it very smooth then I apply the level of detail as a decal.

Thanks

Monty

Last edited by Monty on Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rick Smith
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use a spray surfacer and sand down through that instead of sanding the bare metal. Surfacers are great for filling uneven gaps and pitting, are easily sanded with a fine grit sand paper, and prime very well once you're satisfied.

UPFY
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Smith wrote:
I would use a spray surfacer and sand down through that instead of sanding the bare metal. Surfacers are great for filling uneven gaps and pitting, are easily sanded with a fine grit sand paper, and prime very well once you're satisfied.

Yes, do this! What you really want to do is to keep the current surface height, and then fill in the "wells" that are in the metal, rather then try to file the whole thing down to the lowest point currently on the saucer.

There was a recent thread around here that had the suggestion of superglue and baking soda or something to that effect as a substitute. If you don't sand it down, it will continue to have the "orange peel" texture once it is painted (as I have learned).

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to chime in alongside Paul and Rick... you definitely want to use a surfacer and sand away the excess. [Note: you might need to surface / sand a couple of times to get rid of all the pitting!]

Spraying on a surfacer and sanding the excess is much easier than attemting to file/sand away the bare metal to remove the pitting w/o destroying the details (i.e., phasers, navigation lights, engine details, bridge, etc.)
Monty
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the great advice. I'm going to call around and see if I can find Mr Surfacer 1000 or 1200 spray. Are there any other recommended brands that may be more available?

Monty
Monty
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolo_MK_XL wrote:
To get more details you will have to pick up the "CC Saucer" ---
That is item 0211-1 http://store.starfleetstore.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=0211-1&Category_Code=FM ---

Interesting, I just noticed I don't have a Fed CC in any of my squadron or border boxes. I thought they were supposed to match up with the sets & boosters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: