Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2nd FCOL Tournament:Information, Announcements and Deadlines
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: 2nd FCOL Tournament:Information, Announcements and Deadl Reply with quote

JimDauphinais wrote:
[i]GM Comment: "Byes" are messy no matter how you handle it. The method I have chosen is designed to have the least impact on the standings in this tournament and to minimize the number of times a given player receives a "bye".

I have a suggestion. How about if you choose from volunteers to play the opponent against the player instead of giving a bye. I know I would give it my all to defeat them, even if it does not give me a score.
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tournament rules are set right now. I am only going to change them if there is a compelling reason to do so or a consensus in favor of doing so.

Also, to avoid any confusion, any suggestion for changes to the tournament rules need to be made in the other Thread (the draft rules one) so that we don't confuse anyone.

I'll respond to Eric's suggestion in the Draft Rules Thread.

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd FCOL Tournament Signups to Date (01/31/2011)

LAST CALL!

ONLY ONE DAY IS LEFT UNTIL THE END OF SIGNUPS AND EMPIRE SELECTION!

We now have 11 players confirmed.

Confirmed (with empire selection completed): ericphillips, gar1138, jimdauphinais, krellex, mojo_billbo, orgyockbo, Paul Scott, sarpeidon,
storeylf, terryoc and vulcandropout.

So far we have one player each for the Federation, Frax, Gorns, Romulans and Seltorians.

We have two confirmed players for the Hydrans, two confirmed players for the Klingons and two confirmed players for the Tholians.

Since the next participant to join would be the 12th participant, that participant can choose any of the above empires (or the Kzintis, Lyrans or Wyn) without triggering the empire oversubscription rule of the tournament.

[Updated at 4:15 PM CST to reflect orgyockbo's selection of empire]
[Updated at 7:58 PM CST to update participant list]
[Updated at 11:57 PM CST to add 11th participant and remove empire oversubscription warning]

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/

Last edited by JimDauphinais on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:58 am; edited 8 times in total
VulcanDropout
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: All hail Jean Reply with quote

All praise to Jean, the mighty administrator who has changed my username (at my request.)

I shall henceforth be known as VulcanDropout and no longer as Zaron. This will most likely cut down on confusion.
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd FCOL Tournament Signups to Date (02/01/2011)

TODAY IS THE LAST DAY TO SIGNUP AND SELECT YOUR EMPIRE!

We now have 15 players confirmed.

Confirmed (with empire selection completed): archer, Drew Klenotic, ericphillips, gar1138, jimdauphinais, krellex, mojo_billbo, orgyockbo, Patrick Doyle, Paul Scott, sarpeidon, storeylf, terryoc and vulcandropout.

Confirmed (with empire selection pending): Brazouck.

So far we have one player each for the Frax, Gorns, Romulans and Seltorians.

We have two two confirmed players for the Hydrans and two confirmed players for the Tholians.

We have three confirmed players for the Federation and three confirmed players for the Klingons.

Brazouck has requested the Federation (perferred) or the Klingons. Is there a Federation or Klingon player that is willing to switch to a different empire? If not, and if Brazouck still wants to play Federation or Klingons, what follows below will take effect for either the Federation or Klingons unless I get a 16th player.

If a new participant selects the Klingons they will be required to take them at a point value factor of 1.05 rather than 1.00 since they will be the 14th participant and there are already three Klingon players. If that new participant still wants the Klingons at that higher cost, it will trigger the empire oversubscription rule and the three existing participants who have selected the Klingons will have to choose from either paying the higher ship cost for the Klingons or switching to another empire. Hopefully, this will not be necessary.

The same applies to the Federation if a new participant selects the Federation as there are already three Federation players. However, the Federation would be raised from their current point value factor of 1.05 to a point value factor of 1.10.

[Updated 2:45 PM CST to add another participant]
[Updated 5:08M CST to add another participant]

Drew Klenotic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, I won't be switching. I am playing the Federation in protest of this rule, which I consider to be idiotic. The Federation had the absolute worst win/loss record in the last tournament and yet, the 2nd highest premium? Having a rule to prevent the "best race" is actually in my opinion, honorable. Having a rule to simply "spread things out" is stupid. Especially in the face of the fact that to attract new players, what races will the newest players choose? The ones they are most familiar with from the TV series. Federation, Klingon, Romulan. LET ME PLAY WHO I WANT TO PLAY!!!!!!!!

If I have to "repick" my fleet due to an "adjustment", I will field a force of three of the lowest BPV ships allowed. Because I think that basing the point value on "how many people chose it" and not "how many battles each race won" isn't a matter of balance, it's a matter of... uh....wait... what exactly?

THIS IS A PROTEST!
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why play if you don't agree with the tourney setup. If it bothers you that much then don't join up, or even run a tourney the way you think it should be run. Don't go spoiling things for other people just to protest something that no one is forcing on you.

I have some sympathy, whilst I like the concept of a handicap I dislike the implementation. That is why I was unsure of whether to join up till the last minute, but no on one is forcing me to join if I don't want to. I'll play and see how it turns out.

OH - and the fact that my favourite ship isn't in the client was putting me off Sad

Last edited by storeylf on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright guys, let's calm down Smile

Patrick Doyle has graciously volunteered to switch from the Klingons to the Lyrans and Brazouck has graciously agreed to go with the Klingons rather than his first choice of the Federation.

All is well.

If there is one more player who wants to signup late, I will accept that late signup as late as February 3rd in order to make it an even 16 players for the tournament. So, if someone out there still wants to play it is not to late, but the one open slot is first-come, first-served. So, if someone wants it, please e-mail me ASAP at: jimdauphinais@aol.com

If despite this we still end up at 15 participants, a "win" bye will go to Patrick Doyle per the tournament rules unless we can find a volunteer to play him. I would prefer the volunteer to not be a participant in the tournament. So, if you don't want to participate in the tournament, but would love to play a game against one of the best players of FC (even if it is just to learn a thing or two), here is your golden opportunity. If you are interested, please e-mail me at jimdauphinais@aol.com.

Signups to date:

Archer - Federation
Brazouk - Klingon
Drew Klenotic - Federation
EricPhillips - Frax
gar1138 - Tholian
JimDauphinais - Gorn
Krellex - Klingon
Mojo_billbo - Federation
Orgyockbo - Tholian
Patrick Doyle - Lyran
Paul Scott - Hydran
Sarpeidon - Klingon
Storeylf - Hydran
Terryoc - Seltorian
VulcanDropout - Romulan

Ship selections are due by February 10th. I have received many of them already. I will this evening post a list of those players who still need to send in their ship selections.

[Edited 11:39 AM CST]

JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 16th player!

Tamari - Wyn

Signups are now closed.

I will offer Patrick an opportunity to have the Klingons back since we now have 16.

I will offer the same to Brazouk for the Federation.

JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the final list of participants and empires:

Archer - Federation
Brazouk - Federation
Drew Klenotic - Federation
EricPhillips - Frax
Gar1138 - Tholian
JimDauphinais - Gorn
Krellex - Klingon
Mojo_billbo - Federation
Orgyockbo - Tholian
Patrick Doyle - Lyran
Paul Scott - Hydran
Sarpeidon - Klingon
Storeylf - Hydran
Tamari - Wyn
Terryoc - Seltorian
VulcanDropout - Romulan

Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not one Kzinti player, wow.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
Not one Kzinti player, wow.

And we do have a Gorn and Romulan player. I guess the handicapping worked. This is a lot more diverse than last time.
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this is great. Sounds like this should lead to some fun and diverse battles. I can't wait for the fun to start!

Garrett
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about we all get together at the same time and just have one massive battle to determine the winner. Yeah... everyone?

LOL
Tamari
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave serious thought to the Kzinti, as my lack of battle experience might get a boost if they really are "the best" empire. But then I thought about the amount of anti-Kzinti tactics I'm sure people have ready, and decided otherwise.

I was leaning Klingon until I saw that it was full, so I picked the fish as a substitute. I can have a Kzinti admiral in command so you can feel good about beating him up for prior offenses. Wink

Oh, and hello. I've actually been around for a long time, as in when Vanessa was posting time, but mostly just lurking. Seeing this tourney on Consimworld got me off my backside to reload everything to get set up. I missed the deadline because of the blizzard distracting me last night, so I feel lucky to sneak in after the fact.

I've played a couple of games on FCOL, but I have no illusions about being more than a Bye with Disruptors. But it's a chance to play and learn, so it'll be fun no matter what happens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: