Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hydrans vs. Orions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toastie
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior wrote:
As some of you know, I also posted this over at the Starfleetgames BBS, and TJolley has been contributing over there as well. He's made what I think is the best suggestion to date, which is to just ignore the heavy weapons, plot the cruiser at speed 24+1, and drive it as a phaser boat. Get to point blank range, and rely on the Gatling Phasers (with additional fire from the other phasers) to blow the shields down on one of the Orion ships and cripple it.

If you can get to point blank and he hasn't doubled, tractor him. Then you should be able to catch him with the fighters.
Capt Jack
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydrans vs. Orions Reply with quote

[quote="junior"]Last night I fought a game that was more or less an excercise in frustration.

I was running a Hydran Dragoon (with three Stingers). My opponents (there were two players) were running an Orion CR, and an Orion LR.

One minor detail - the LR has a Damage Control rating of 4 on the card, which we all agreed was probably a typo, but I was willing to let it go since I wasn't completely certain. Is there an official comment on that? And where is that comment found? Ultimately, I don't think it would have been that big of a deal (over the course of three turns, he would have repaired two of the three engine boxes that he lost due to doubling).

Any suggestions on tactics in a situation like this? The standard fix to an EM opponent is to hit them with seeking weapons, but Hydrans don't have that option.

Tactics, be the Orion!

Yes, sorry for the smartass reply Embarassed

But Orions are great ships, even more so if you stay at long range.

Also Orion ships are great for multi-player free for alls.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a typo; the LR (both the Main Era and Middle Years versions) really does have a damage control rating of 4 in squadron scale.

There are a couple of other smaller ships with higher than average damcon ratings, too; like the M81 pirate destroyer and the Trobrin frigate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: