Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2nd FCOL Tournament:Information, Announcements and Deadlines
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamari
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round 2: Paul Scott vs. Tamari (me)

Winner is Paul's Hydrans over my Klingons in Turn #3.

Turn 1: We closed at speed 16 to each other, the Hydrans went evasive, and I took some potshots at the end of the turn with disruptors and phasers at his 2 evasive fighters. 9 points and 5 points total damage on the two of them. I then launched 10 drones at Mohawk #1.

Turn 2: Paul dropped evasive and landed his crippled fighter (which I should have taken a couple of shots at, since it was no longer evasive, but it didn't change the outcome) and stayed at speed 16, while I jumped to speed 24. I attempted to circle the Hydrans with some speed 24+1 moves, and took some more shots at his other fighter with waist phasers. It was left with 9 points total damage, and Paul landed that one too. I also launched 10 more drones at Mohawk #2 at the start of the turn.

All 20 drones were destroyed with casual gatling phaser fire, along with a few phaser-1's and 2's.

Unfortunately for the Klingons, the Hydrans used enough 16+1 movement to cut them off against the edge of the map and assure closing to Range 1.
The game was essentially over at the end of Turn #2 as the Hydrans put the Klingon Fleet into Zugzwang - there was no move the Klingons could make that avoided the Hydrans getting Range 1. Even if the Hydrans had to use speed 24+1 in Turn #3 to do it, they have enough energy on their ships to still do crippling damage and/or use tractor beams to wait for Turn #4 and load their Wave Motion Guns.

I was afraid of this happening, as I tested some maneuvering and found it's hard to avoid getting cut off. I was 1 hex away from keeping the Hydran Fleet at range 2, but that's a 10K bridge too far.

Turn #3: The Klingons and Hydrans went speed 24. The Klingon fleet did some spite fire at the Hydrans before using High-Energy turns, and launched 10 more drones at a Mohawk. I destroyed 2 labs for the glory of the Empire, and one drone actually forced the use of a tractor beam on the Mohawk. The Hydran Fleet had the angle to the edge of the board, and the Klingon Fleet was at range 1 or 0 to the Hydrans at the end of movement pulse #4. It was that or ram the map edge, so it didn't really matter where it happened. I didn't make Paul bother with the damage allocation, he would have destroyed or crippled two of my ships and tractored the 3rd in the best-case scenario, while I might have done a bit of damage to one of his ships, so I waved the white flag.

With a "real" fleet I would have disengaged after Turn #2 when I was trapped and saved my ships and crew, but there's no point in a tournament not to keep going and hope for an opening. Paul wasn't going to leave an opening, as he's way too experienced to leave one on his worst day. I *could* have just slowed down and powered all weapons, but the problem is that I could realistically mission-kill 2 of his ships, while he could do the same to my two heavy cruisers. That leaves a D5D vs. 2 annoyed Rangers or Mohawks, a total mismatch. Even if I had taken a regular D5, there's still one undamaged Hydran waiting to pounce after an exchange.

What would I do different? Maybe go for a Range 8 end-of-turn strike and then whatever range it ends up at the start of the next turn, but the Hydran just has to turn a new shield to face the second strike, and then they'll steamroll the Klingons on Impulse 2 or 3. Maybe hold the drones for close-range launches, but if the Hydran has fired his gatlings at your ships, they are probably burning wrecks with not much to launch in retaliation, and otherwise drones are just a chance for the gatling gunners to make with the pew-pew. It's a tough match-up, even going 24+1 doesn't avoid the Hydrans from getting the shot they want in six turns. My fleet doesn't have the firepower to hurt them before they do, but some other fleets might, and I'll be interested to see how it goes. There's a point getting proven that should spark some debate if the proof is completed after the tourney.

Overall it was a good game, Paul is a nice opponent, and didn't badger me too much about making decisions quickly Razz but this was a gross mismatch from the start. It's not like my original WYN fleet was any better of a match, as this Hydran fleet was the one I was not looking forward to facing.
Anyway, my Klingons will get their sessions in the Agonizer Booth and do better another time.
VulcanDropout
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Fed vs rom Reply with quote

The roms (VulcanDropout) lost to the Feds (Archer).
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round 2 Results as of 3/27/2011:

Code:
 Match          Player 1                          Player 2                   Won          Lost
 -----          --------                          --------                   ---          ----

2-1           Patrick Doyle (Lyran)        vs   Jiraiya1969   (Klingon)
  2-2           Krellex       (Klingon)      vs   JimDauphinais (Gorn)
  2-3           Archer        (Federation)   vs   VulcanDropout (Romulan)    Archer       VulcanDropout
  2-4           Paul Scott    (Hydran)       vs   Tamari        (Klingon)    Paul Scott   Tamari
  2-5           Storeylf      (Hydran)       vs   Brazouck      (Federation)
  2-6           Drew Klenotic (Federation)   vs   orgyockbo     (Tholian)
  2-7           Mojo_billbo   (Federation)   vs   Bye           (N/A)        N/A          N/A
  2-8           ericphillips  (Frax)         vs   gar1138       (Tholian)    ericphillips gar1138

All matches need to be completed and reported to Garrett and I by Sunday, April 10th (two weeks from now).

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
Brazouck
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storeyif have won our game.

I cripple one of his carrier, but his fighters's retaliation aided by war destroyers gutted all my three ships Evil or Very Mad

Nice game guy !
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round 2 Results as of 4/1/2011:

Code:
 Match          Player 1                          Player 2                   Won          Lost
 -----          --------                          --------                   ---          ----

2-1           Patrick Doyle (Lyran)        vs   Jiraiya1969   (Klingon)
  2-2           Krellex       (Klingon)      vs   JimDauphinais (Gorn)
  2-3           Archer        (Federation)   vs   VulcanDropout (Romulan)    Archer       VulcanDropout
  2-4           Paul Scott    (Hydran)       vs   Tamari        (Klingon)    Paul Scott   Tamari
  2-5           Storeylf      (Hydran)       vs   Brazouck      (Federation) Storeylf     Brazouck
  2-7           Mojo_billbo   (Federation)   vs   Bye           (N/A)        N/A          N/A
  2-8           ericphillips  (Frax)         vs   gar1138       (Tholian)    ericphillips gar1138

Only 9 days left to finish up the remaining games!

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only 4 days left to complete Round 2 games!

Completion of the last two turns of my game with Krellex is scheduled for this evening at 8 PM MDT.

I need updates on the status of the Doyle/Jiraiya1969 and Klenotic/orgyockbo games.

Thanks,

Jim

JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round 2 Results as of 4/6/2011:

Code:
 Match          Player 1                          Player 2                   Won           Lost
 -----          --------                          --------                   ---           ----

2-1           Patrick Doyle (Lyran)        vs   Jiraiya1969   (Klingon)    Patrick Doyle Jiraiya1969
  2-2           Krellex       (Klingon)      vs   JimDauphinais (Gorn)       JimDauphinais Krellex
  2-3           Archer        (Federation)   vs   VulcanDropout (Romulan)    Archer        VulcanDropout
  2-4           Paul Scott    (Hydran)       vs   Tamari        (Klingon)    Paul Scott    Tamari
  2-5           Storeylf      (Hydran)       vs   Brazouck      (Federation) Storeylf      Brazouck
  2-7           Mojo_billbo   (Federation)   vs   Bye           (N/A)        N/A           N/A
  2-8           ericphillips  (Frax)         vs   gar1138       (Tholian)    ericphillips  gar1138

Only 4 days (Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday) left to finish up the remaining game!

JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round 2 has been completed.

We are now halfway done the tournament as we will only need to complete four rounds with sixteen starting players.

Anyone wanting to switch empires or ships needs to notify Garrett and I by no later than 6 PM US CDT, Sunday, April 10th. Remember that you have to sacrifice your existing record in order to switch empires or ships. Also, if you are the 5th or higher numbered player to select an empire, your point value multipliers will be raised one level, but those for the existing players of that empire will remain as is.

Drew Klenotic has also unfortunately had to withdraw from the tournament. If anyone else needs to withdraw, I need to know that by no later than 6 PM US CDT, Sunday, April 10th. I strongly encourage players to remain in the tournament as long as you can. As a Swiss style tournament, all players will be ranked at its conclusion and you cannot lose anything by playing more matches.

We are back to an even number of players. So, no bye will need to be awarded for this round unless somebody else withdraws and we are left with an odd number of players. In the event that occurs, Gar1138 has volunteered to take the bye for this round.

I will post the Round 3 matchups on the evening (US CDT) of April 10th. The Round 3 matches will need to be completed by May 10th.

Final Round 2 Results

Code:
 Match          Player 1                          Player 2                   Won           Lost
 -----          --------                          --------                   ---           ----

2-1           Patrick Doyle (Lyran)        vs   Jiraiya1969   (Klingon)    Patrick Doyle Jiraiya1969
  2-2           Krellex       (Klingon)      vs   JimDauphinais (Gorn)       JimDauphinais Krellex
  2-3           Archer        (Federation)   vs   VulcanDropout (Romulan)    Archer        VulcanDropout
  2-4           Paul Scott    (Hydran)       vs   Tamari        (Klingon)    Paul Scott    Tamari
  2-5           Storeylf      (Hydran)       vs   Brazouck      (Federation) Storeylf      Brazouck
  2-6           Drew Klenotic (Federation)   vs   orgyockbo     (Tholian)    orgyockbo     Drew Klenotic
  2-7           Mojo_billbo   (Federation)   vs   Bye           (N/A)        N/A           N/A
  2-8           ericphillips  (Frax)         vs   gar1138       (Tholian)    ericphillips  gar1138

JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Rankings at End of Round 2

Tie
                                  Breaker
Rank     FC Forum Handle  Points  Points
----     ---------------  ------  -------
  1       Patrick Doyle     4        4
  1       Archer            4        2
  1       JimDauphinais     4        2
  1       Paul Scott        4        2
  2       VulcanDropout     2        6
  2       Jiraiya69         2        5
  2       krellex           2        4
  2       orgyockbo         2        4
  2       storyelf          2        4
  2       ericphillips      2        2
  3       Mojo_Billbo       1        2
  4       Drew Klenotic     0        6
  4       gar1138           0        6
  4       Brazouck          0        4
  4       tamari            0        4
  4       terryoc           0        0

Tie Breaker Points are being listed at this time for information purposes only.

They will only be used after the fourth round is completed to break any ties for the final rankings.

They are being calculated as the sum of the score of each player's opponents.

Edits:

04/09/2011 Corrected Tie Breaker Points for Paul Scott

04/09/2011 Changed Tie Breaker Point calculation to the sum of the score of each player's opponents.

Last edited by JimDauphinais on Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
     Results by Empire at the End of Round 2

Average
                                                                               Average         Total
                                                                                Total       Tie Breaker
     Rank          Empire          Wins          Losses          Draws         Points         Points
     ----          ------          ----          ------          -----         ------         ------
       1            Lyran            2              0              0            4.00           4.00
       2            Gorn             2              0              0            4.00           2.00
       3           Hydran            3              1              0            3.00           3.00
       4           Romulan           1              1              0            2.00           6.00
       5            Frax             1              0              0            2.00           2.00
       6           Klingon           2              3              0            1.33           4.33
       7         Federation          2              5              1            1.25           3.50
       8           Tholian           1              3              0            1.00           5.00
       9          Seltorian          0              1              0            0.00           0.00

Edits:

04/09/2011 Corrected number of losses for Klingons.

04/09/2011 Revised Average Total Tie Breaker Point values to reflect change to Tie Braker Point calculation.

JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the tie breaker calculation above because the method I originally used did not do a good job of breaking ties near the bottom of the rankings. The new tie breaker method also appropriately compensates those players who had the misfortune of being randomly paired in the early rounds against known aces.

JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The matchups for the 3rd Round are as follows:

Code:

Match          Player 1                                    Player 2
  -----          --------                                    --------
   3-1           Patrick Doyle      (Lyran)             vs   Archer            (Federation)
   3-2           JimDauphinais      (Gorn)              vs   Paul Scott        (Hydran)
   3-3           VulcanDropout      (Romulan)           vs   Jiraiya1969       (Klingon)
   3-4           Krellex            (Klingon)           vs   orgyockbo         (Tholian)
   3-5           Storeylf           (Hydran)            vs   ericphillips      (Frax)
   3-6           Mojo_billbo        (Federation)        vs   gar1138           (Tholian)
   3-7           Brazouck           (Federation)        vs   Tamari            (Klingon)

All matches need to be completed and reported to Garrett and I by Tuesday, May 10th.

We currently have an even number of players active. Thus, there will be no need for a bye to be awarded for this round.

Brazouck
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Tamari has resigned before the game, so I think I must Bye ?
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you will receive a bye of a draw unless: (i) you would prefer to play and (ii) someone else besides Mojo_billbo who has yet to score a win is willing to take a bye of a draw in order to allow you to play their opponent for this round.

Note that I am not awarding a bye of a win in this instance because the resignation happened so early in the round. In effect, Brazouck ended up with the random assignment of a bye awarded to deal with an odd number of active players.

mojo_billbo
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gar1138 and I are going to do our Round #3 tonight, 9:30pm eastern.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 8 of 14

Jump to: