Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can a captured Ship be Self-Destructed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IKerensky
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Can a captured Ship be Self-Destructed Reply with quote

Hello,

I am unsure if you can voluntarily evacuate the crew of a captured ship in order to self-destruct it.

I am asking because I plan to use the nifty Hydran commando cruiser against some convoy and it seems like an efficient way to destroy the target given the commando low amount of weapons...
Blammo
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited and deleted text to avoid confusion

Last edited by Blammo on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the question.

Self-destruction only destroys the ship itself; it damages nothing else. So, why do you want to self-destruct it if you have already captured it?

Federation Commander Answer Guy
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blammo is not correct in saying that there are no rules for this - there are rules for self-destruction, and self-destruction is not one of the actions that a captured ship is prohibited from performing, so yes it can. You cannot drop the shields and pummel it with your own weapons, because when you capture it it's your ship and friendly fire is prohibited.

Of course, if you destroy a ship you get 100% of its Point Value as victory points, and if you capture it and hold it at the end of the scenario you get 200% of the points, so it's better to just disengage the ship once you capture it.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry is correct, however I intentionally didn't give the answer yet because I think there is a larger misunderstanding that I wanted to draw out first. Namely, there seems to be an assumption of damage ability with a ship's self-destruction that is most definitely not in the rules.

The only reason I can think of to ever self-destruct a captured ship is if it is going to be recaptured before you can get it off the map. In that case, it makes sense to take the guaranteed victory points and prevent the opponents chance to recover the ship. But there is zero reason to do it offensively, as it has no offensive utility.

IKerensky
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the trouble is the recapture.

Convoy scenario that will be played supposed arrival of reinforcement in turn 5 to 10. Reinforcement that the Commando Cruiser wont be able to fight, even with the help of the captured freighter.

Commando cruiser is a bit low on weapon firepower so even if he down the shield he will take a lot of time to kill the target. The idea is to use the massive number of marines to take control of one ship while in the same time destroying another one. As soon as the freighter control is achieved the marines beam back and self-destruct the freighter, nearly doubling the possible kills in the given time before the reinforcement appearance.

Another interesting side effect is the creation of a chain of capture with marines beaming from the captured ship to attack another one then self-destructing the first captured ship... But that is pretty theorical.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, OK. Cool idea.

Yeah, go for it. Terry's response is correct.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: