Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You may be too stupid to play SFB if (or how I blew a game)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gambler1650
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: You may be too stupid to play SFB if (or how I blew a game) Reply with quote

So, it was a classic Gorn / Romulan battle with allies showing up a few turns in (to break up the long plasma ballet that was developing).

I had a Romulan King Eagle and Sparrowhawk with a Klingon D5L as a reinforcement.

My opponent had a Gorn HDD, a CC, and a Kzinti MCC as a reinforcement.

I had the upper hand through most of the game (I'm generally more experienced), and we had what we both thought would be a pivotal turn that we played through last night. It turned out we were right, but not because of the situation at the start which had the Romulan King Eagle and Klingon D5L facing the Kzinti MCC by itself (while the Gorn ships prepared to turn around to re-enter the fray). HORRIBLE labbing (I didn't get a single one in 6 lab attempts at ranges 2-3) and ADD/phaser die rolls (I think I hit with one ADD out of 5 attempts in the turn... the Klingon was depleted), left really only 3 Overloaded disruptors, 1 standard disruptor and a couple of phasers at the Kzinti which took minimal damage. To balance that, my opponent's die rolls with his disruptors and phasers were atrocious (he hit with one of his disruptors, and rolled poorly on his phasers). So the turn was actually pretty indecisive, until...

I ran over my Nuclear Space Mine I'd dropped 3 turns ago from the King Eagle.

Not with one ship, but two.. my Sparrowhawk and the D5L.

Additionally one of the two Sparrowhawk's down shields was facing the NSM, and the Klingon's front shield had about 15 boxes left... Sparrowhawk had 45 internals (not counting tracks or excess damage) left and the Klingon was in better shape but had reached the point of minimal hull left so would have rapidly been reduced to ineffectiveness.

Pretty much the biggest brain fart I've ever had in an SFB game.
kinshi
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe that's a pretty epic tale..how did you miss it? Was it a case of having the mine recorded but no counter on the board?

I have been known to screw up my turn mode and go plowing into asteroids, even entered atmosphere once because of that
gambler1650
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope,

Counter was on the map. But we play with miniatures (my friend's a big minis guy) on a home made map. And I'm just not used to the combo. Plus the counter we used because I was too lazy to dig it out was the King Eagle counter, which is different from the drones and shuttles, and turn and slip points, that I just somehow spaced what it was.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: